• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello! My wife and I are thinking about a vacation to Ely, MN summer 2021. Has anyone stayed at this resort? Looks like a real nice place from their website. Not a real hard core fisherman, but would like to catch enough for a couple meals anyway. Anyone fished the Garden-White Iron-Farm chain in late June or early July? I would seriously consider a guide for a day. Any recommendations?

Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas!

Jake

On 12/22/2020 at 2:49 PM, AnglerJake said:

I would seriously consider a guide for a day. Any recommendations?

Ely Fishing Guide Company.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Basswood trails guide service 

Wanderer

@AnglerJake I haven’t stayed at the resort but it does look nice.  I have a place of my own on the chain and it’s a great place to relax and unwind.  Beautiful cruising scenery and you can do quite a bit of that going up through Silver Rapids into White Iron.

I would definitely suggest hiring a guide for the chain.  I’ve caught my fair share of fish on it but I’ve worked pretty hard to find what I have caught.  I just haven’t been able  to dial those bodies of water in consistently and usually fish other lakes when I’m there. I know some of the spots the guides hit and boat control is important to stay on the fish and out of the snags if you’re not bobber fishing something shallow.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      I have an old(purple) Otter Lodge.
      I'm thinkin about buying a new one with the insulated cover.
      Just wondering what your thoughts are on moisture condensation in the newer houses.
      Right now with the moderate temps, my old house is way wet on the inside.
      Thanks
      Jim
    • Pigmeat
      By Pigmeat
      I think I know the answer, but . . .
      After running for about 3 hours the output on my flasher battery dropped from 12.5v to 10.1v. Pretty much means it's dead, correct?
    • hitthebricks
      By hitthebricks
      I have a Marcum LX5 that's been hardly used.  I charged the battery then turned it on and let it run to check the battery life to see if I needed  a new one.  After a few hours it died.  Tried to charge it again but no luck, bought a new one, hooked it up, nothing, checked the connections, nothing.  Any ideas what's wrong?

HTB
    • Greywolf25
      By Greywolf25
      New to ice fishing. In a 16’ ice castle in a lake with 17 inches of ice. Ice is cracking so much it sometimes shakes my house. Anything to worried about? 
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Anyone know if the public access parking lot is plowed?
    • 406_outdoormaniac
      By 406_outdoormaniac
      So I just received my fathers ice shack he built more than 20 years ago. He never got to take it out because of life so it’s been sitting there since rotting away. I’m doing some TLC on it and want to get some wiring done before the inside is done. I’ll have a propane wall heater, that’s easy to do for me. But I don’t know much on how to configure a 12V system. I just want to add a couple lights inside and 3 or 4 outlets, possibly lights outside as well. Nothing crazy but I want to be able to build off of it in the later future. Please give me some criticism or whatever you please. Just want to do it right and safely. Shack is 6’ X 10’. 
    • Lynette Norton
    • Austin12345
      By Austin12345
      Does anyone hear have any experience overnight fishing in your popup any tips or tricks or anything like that?
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      anyone know if there is a big difference between these two? I understand that lawn/garden are pretty much lawnmower/ summer   use, and power sport are for utv/atv/snowmobile/ winter use. 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Have a very Merry Christmas my friends. 

I hope you all feel the love on this very special day!

God bless.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      OK, so where do you park from May to October?  It basically prohibits anyone without a special pass from launching their boat there.
    • delcecchi
      Nice picture.  Reminds me of the time we dropped our daughter off at Itasca for Field Camp and drove across Highway 1 to our cabin.     The lights of Cook looked like Hollywood in the distance.   We still talk about that drive, and it was 25 years ago.   
    • BrianF
      ^^^+1   My weekend report...slow.  Had a lot of lookers at prime time but couldn’t get them to commit.  Caught a handful of little tikes, some perch, and one nice pike.  Been fishing Rippin Raps mostly but also caught one walleye on a swimbait.  Might have to resort to tipping with a minnow head, but I’d like to move away from livebait altogether if possible.  Gonna keep experimenting before throwing-in the towel.  The cabin sure was warm and cozy after the day was done.
    • monstermoose78
      It was good to see you @Cret Jigs glad you got some fish to eat. It was nice to fish out of my house as I don’t do that enough. Caught some fish nothing great but it was ok. Please just be kind to people that’s all I ask! 
    • Influenza
      One of my favorite times - Sunday evening looking West across Big Bay all the way to Cook in the distance.  No sounds of generators.  No karaoke speakers blaring across the lake.  No party howlers.  Just the wind and the stars.  👍
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay. On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open. Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air. Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.    
    • smurfy
      my wife and i stayed in the cabin just to the right of the landing by the lake a couple times. cabin 11, it has a wood fireplace.!!!!!!
    • TrueNorth
    • smurfy
      sweet👍 next time up i might head that way. cabin is 45 minutes from there.  yea there access can be interesting at times!!!!!!
    • SkunkedAgain
      I remember my father wearing the shock vest for his afib just in case things went haywire. After a year of it he got to stop but still had to swallow the rat poison daily. I suppose that I'll be there at some point. Maybe I need to keep running from the sauna to the snowpile to keep my ticker in shape.   Stay strong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.