• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tower / Ely / Northeast Vermillion ice fishing tips - New to ice fishing the area

DangerDanTheFlyMan

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here.

I am looking for some tips or tricks to break down some of the water in the Northeast part of Vermilion for ice fishing opportunities. We will be up in that area for a week at the start of January and I have no idea how to know what the ice conditions typically are that time of year. We are debating on bringing snowmobiles or an ATV, but I'm not even sure what works better up there this time of year.

For people who fish up in this area often:

• Do you seem to have better luck trying the big lakes, or breaking down smaller bodies of water?
  • Is it worth the trip to try and snowmobile / hike / dogsled your gear up into any of the BWCA lakes?
  • If you were brand new to this area, where would you try first for the safest ice, and best chance at some fun fishing early Janurary? Or are most lakes "safe" by then?
  • Are typical walleye / Crappie presentations good in this area? Any go to baits or hooks?

I'm not looking for honey holes or specific GPS locations (unless you're willing to share), but I'm more interested in how to break down some of the smaller bays and channels in Vermilion for Walleye and Crappie. Part of the fun for me is finding them on my own by putting together information.

Any tips are much appreciated, and I'll share any knowledge I learn on our trip with you all.

Dan

• Thumbs Up 1
chucker1101

Haven't done much ice fishing recently, but want to welcome you to the forum and congratulate you for catapulting to first place for best forum name! I'm thinking the rest of us are now all tied for last.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

I have fish that area but the Ely mostly and I liked the smaller lakes because could fish the lake in a day to find fish. For crappies plastics in white on a 4or 5 mm jig. Walleyes I rattle jigging spoon with a minnow head and a set line with a shiner. If you need ideas where to go message me.

• Thumbs Up 1
SkunkedAgain

Welcome aboard.

In terms of transportation it depends on what the snow conditions are like on the lake, how much weight you need to pull. I tend to go with the snowmobile unless there is no snow on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
DangerDanTheFlyMan
On 12/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

Welcome aboard.

In terms of transportation it depends on what the snow conditions are like on the lake, how much weight you need to pull. I tend to go with the snowmobile unless there is no snow on the lake.

That was my thoughts as well.

How common is thin ice on Vermilion? Is it something to be concerned with early January, or is snow and slush more of a concern?

Thanks

JerkinLips

With the light snow cover and cold weather over the next couple of weeks, ATV and snowmobile travel should be quite safe on Vermilion in January.  As always be very careful in narrows, especially Oak Narrows between the two sections of the lake and the narrows on the east end of Pine Island.  I also recommend never traveling in the dark over areas you have not traveled previously.  Good luck and be cautious.

Edited by JerkinLips
Correct spelling and add January.
  • Thumbs Up 2
DangerDanTheFlyMan
40 minutes ago, JerkinLips said:

With the light snow cover and cold weather over the next couple of weeks, ATV and snowmobile travel should be quite safe on Vermilion.  As always be very careful in narrows, especially Oak Narrows between the two sections of the lake and the narrows on the east end of Pine Island.  I also recommend never traveling in the dark over areas you have not traveled previously.  Good look and be cautious.

Thank you for the tips!

Looks like we have some snow in the forecast, so I am leaning more towards bringing up my snowmobile to haul the sled.

Thinking if we are going to try and fish vermilion I'll rely on the local bait shops for advice as it seems people are pretty tight lipped. 

SkunkedAgain

As JerkinLips mentioned, thin ice is generally only a concern in the spots that he mentioned. Slush can be an issue in some of the bays but it all depends on how the winter goes in terms of early or heavy snowfalls. This year has set up well, but a heavy snowload could change things.

I don't have any fishing advice, as I'm on the other end of the lake and only get out fishing on the ice once or twice per season. However, there are several threads in this Vermilion forum that span back a decade or longer with fishing advice. My best advice is to spend some time going back and reading old posts. There is a TON of good information from both guides and regular fishermen that will get you dialed in. You could literally write a book with all of the info here. It's all out there waiting for you to discover.

Good luck.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2
BWpineisland

I would agree 100% with Skunked again. Read the old blogs. I’m in the middle of the lake and I struggle to catch fish in the winter. Have caught a couple of nice muskies through the ice but other than that mostly some small eyes. I’d love to offer some tips, but I’m in the same fish house as you——-always looking for tips!!😀

• Thumbs Up 1

I use EZfishusa.com to get on fish. Seems quite reasonable and cuts down on the search . They are almost always sold out but if you call the customer service number sometimes they’ll just give you an area right over the phone. I think Vermilion has the half dozen guides or so. So they are updated quite often..I mainly search for pigs so I guess I’m not to schooled on the numbers on Vermilion.This 32 inch 12 pounder came from a EZfish spot. I was having a hard time getting folks to help me out with fishing on Lake Vermilion also.Extremely tight lips. Good luck out there

D4E30D66-6BE5-4768-A4B1-683CE900CEBF.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan,

The snowmobile trails should be staked by then on the lake. There are trails all over the East end. Use caution in narrows and other areas that are unmarked.

I am on the West end and of no help with Ice fishing. I can only catch 4 inch perch.

• Thumbs Up 1
DangerDanTheFlyMan
On 12/16/2020 at 4:03 PM, Sorgy said:

Dan,

The snowmobile trails should be staked by then on the lake. There are trails all over the East end. Use caution in narrows and other areas that are unmarked.

I am on the West end and of no help with Ice fishing. I can only catch 4 inch perch.

4" perch are better than 0' perch in my opinion!

Thank you for the advice on the snowmobile trails. I'm brand new to lake snowmobiling so any other tips are much appreciated!

SkunkedAgain

Do some thumb calisthenics in the morning, then go pinch the throttle hard and have fun. It's a big lake. Be sure to check out the water skips on the north side of pine island on the weekends, assuming that still happens. I haven't gone in over a decade.

• Yayyyy 1
StateofHockey

Alas the DNR cracked down on the Vermilion water skips at the Trout river entrance N of Pine island a couple years back so no longer a happening on the lake for weekends in March. Was fun while it lasted.

• Thumbs Up 1

used to ride the harleys over to Wis.  tutle lake area maybe??  and enjoys sled racing on the lake there..  some of those sleds would go for ever it seemed!!  

SkunkedAgain

Shows how current that I am on things! I do remember hearing how bad the garbage was every weekend.

Hopefully everyone made it through the slush okay.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• hitthebricks
      By hitthebricks
      I have a Marcum LX5 that's been hardly used.  I charged the battery then turned it on and let it run to check the battery life to see if I needed  a new one.  After a few hours it died.  Tried to charge it again but no luck, bought a new one, hooked it up, nothing, checked the connections, nothing.  Any ideas what's wrong?

HTB
    • Greywolf25
      By Greywolf25
      New to ice fishing. In a 16’ ice castle in a lake with 17 inches of ice. Ice is cracking so much it sometimes shakes my house. Anything to worried about? 
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Anyone know if the public access parking lot is plowed?
    • Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
    • 406_outdoormaniac
      By 406_outdoormaniac
      So I just received my fathers ice shack he built more than 20 years ago. He never got to take it out because of life so it’s been sitting there since rotting away. I’m doing some TLC on it and want to get some wiring done before the inside is done. I’ll have a propane wall heater, that’s easy to do for me. But I don’t know much on how to configure a 12V system. I just want to add a couple lights inside and 3 or 4 outlets, possibly lights outside as well. Nothing crazy but I want to be able to build off of it in the later future. Please give me some criticism or whatever you please. Just want to do it right and safely. Shack is 6’ X 10’. 
    • Lynette Norton
    • Austin12345
      By Austin12345
      Does anyone hear have any experience overnight fishing in your popup any tips or tricks or anything like that?
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      anyone know if there is a big difference between these two? I understand that lawn/garden are pretty much lawnmower/ summer   use, and power sport are for utv/atv/snowmobile/ winter use. 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Have a very Merry Christmas my friends. 

I hope you all feel the love on this very special day!

God bless.
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      I see a lot of people asking questions around the Humminbird Helix series for ice fishing. In this video I walk through how I setup my unit:

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      That's not the issue.  I'm wondering where people park if they're using the Carson Bay access.
    • Hookmaster
      Marcum is located here:  3943 Quebec Ave N, New Hope, MN 55427 I've owned 3 Marcums for 15+ years, all flashers. Both LX3s had an issue and both were fixed and no issues since. I live close enough so I brought them to their location.
    • Hookmaster
      What part of the lake do you want to fish? I grew up within a 1/2 mile of Maxwell Bay. There are a lot of nooks and crannies and old fire roads. I don't know if all are still open in the winter but knowing the part of the lake you want to fish will help find access locations and maybe parking.
    • gimruis
      I did not participate in the youth hunt growing up because it didn't exist.  I went on opener like everyone else.  The early seasons and special youth regulations are relatively new.  Do I think that having the youth duck season a couple weeks inhibits my success as a duck hunter?  No, not likely.  I don't think there's enough pressure to have an impact.  But that's not the point.  I believe that every hunter or angler that wants to hunt or fish should be able to.  You buy a license and you can do it.  You can make opener about teaching your child to hunt too.  I know this because that's what happened to me.  The early deer season is another topic for another day.   Duck hunting has really gone down hill in about the past 8-10 years.  When I first starting doing it, I'd see flocks of mallards that I haven't seen anymore.  Hundreds of wood ducks early in the season too.  Recently its just a fraction of that now.  In the same spots I hunted years ago too.  They just aren't there anymore.  Its partially my own fault because I don't scout anymore and try to find new, more productive spots.  I think many of the ducks that used to migrate through here have changed their migration route to the west.  Something is going to have to change dramatically for me to start doing it again.   Thanks for your work in the health care field this past year, Kettle.  We are greatly appreciative of your work more than ever.
    • gimruis
      OK so where do they park if the ice isn't thick enough to drive on then?
    • Wanderer
      Yah, no kidding!  Heading the Winnie this weekend.  Wife signed us up for a GTG for a wheelhouse group.  About 100 confirmed attendance. 😲   The most important thing I packed was the 4 wheeler! 😄
    • monstermoose78
      Looks like we lucked out with the weather compared to what they were talking about. See you all on the ice this weekend!!
    • Wanderer
      Since y’all are weighing in.   I don’t have a grand opinion either way on the youth season.  Honestly for those I know, it seemed more important to the adults than the kids they took.  I understand that’s not universal with all kids so I doubt I’ll stand against it even though I do prefer level playing fields for everyone as @gimruismentioned.  Teaching kids to earn something is a life lesson in itself.     Teal - I still see a good percentage of BWT on opener compared to other ducks so I know there’s still plenty that haven’t left.  I’m more worried about the misidentified young of the year others that will get tossed or not retrieved when shooters realize they dropped non-teal.  Look no further than the splash duck rule for support.  A couple bonus teal so we can get “our fair share”?  OK, doesn’t sound too bad.  Same difference as shooting them for more days.   No trolling motors in WMA’s.  Paddlers still want to have a place to get away from motor hunters.  We’re supposed to be creating or at least maintaining opportunities in this state.  Don’t take quiet enjoyment away completely.  And by quiet enjoyment, I’m speaking of pressure not the noise of a trolling motor...    Spinners OK all the time, sure, why not everyone has them by now.  Again a level playing field.   The statewide open water rule is the single change I’m most interested in.  I’m all in.   Oh yeah, split season: I’m fine with it.  I’ve given up firearms deer hunting for ducks before and will keep doing it if I have ducks to chase.
    • Kettle
      I definitely appreciate your opinion and can see your point of view. Can I ask if you were as a youth able to participate in a youth hunt as I know relatively speaking it is fairly new.   You are definitely right, hunting is not what it used to be. I myself don't even waterfowl hunting in MN anymore. Ironically speaking I grew up hunting a faimly farm. On bad years my family would attribute the poor numbers to me youth hunting but there were years where I hunted the youth opener and on the standard opener we had limits for 12 individuals, seeing this and reading data I do believe that the youth opener has minimal to zero impact on hunting outcomes two weeks later. To this day I can say I harvested one wood duck, one mallard and two teal in my three years of youth day and didn't even shoot a box of shells in those three years. I have hunted early teal in Iowa in early September and saw large migrating flocks of teal, hundreds, bluewing teal, the mass majority are out of MN by our main opener and if lucky enough some individuals harvest green wing teal as they are late migrators compared to their cohorts. Covid definitely pushed more people into the outdoors but as an emergency medicine physician assistant and former paramedic I am glad people got out and enjoyed the outdoors versus congregating indoors. 
    • Wanderer
      I’d re-check the connections.  I had a bad terminal on one of mine I couldn’t see the bad spot under the plastic insulator.   Re-check the power connection on the back of the unit for tightness and the prongs in tact.  If you have a meter and can ohm the power lead out, do that.   If it comes down to having to open up the head, send it or take it in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.