• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moved to area last winter and don’t know much about any lakes in the metro. Panfish is by far the most fun for myself and would like to get into walleyes. Would really appreciate some suggestions on where to go within the metro and try out this upcoming ice fishing season. 

• Thumbs Up 1
Bucketcastle

Walleye in the metro I am not sure.  Bluegill/sunnies crystal lake.  I caught my pb pumpkinseed out of crystal this June at 9 1/4 inches.  To be honest I started exploring within a 1 hour drive from the metro to find a little better bite. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dakota003 Welcome to the site. South metro Minnetonka and Prior hold lots of pan fish, Walleye, Northern Pike and many others. Could hook into a 50" Muskellunge. Both larger lakes and may take a bit of fishing time to figure out where fish are at. North of cities within 45 min. are Chisago chain, Forest Lake have good numbers of variety game fish. 
To find lakes, you can use the Navionics WebApp which have lake contours.

You could also download the Navionics Boating App $14.99 annual subscription, after 2 week free week, with smartphone, tablet GPS capability along with many other features beyond the WebApp. 
https://webapp.navionics.com/#[email protected]&key=sx~tG|dvxP

After you find a desirable lake go to the MN DNR Lake Finder to find out detail survey information about the lake.
https://maps1.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefinder/mobile/#home

A little research goes a long way to finding great metro lakes fishing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A warm up triggered some nice walleyes and saugers up on Lake of the Woods this week.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with some pike, perch, eelpout and tullibees being caught in 29-33 feet.  Using a bait with rattles or vibration to attract fish is helpful.  On the deadstick, try a glow hook with a live minnow or even a glow bead above the hook.  Set bait 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Try gold, glow colors, chartreuse and pink good color choices this week.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite producing some walleyes on the river.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  Use caution and work through a resort, outfitter or gain info from a bait shop as there is current and areas not fit for travel on the river.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A lot of nice walleyes caught up at the Angle this week with a mix of other species.  Walleyes in 24 - 30' of water.  Some resorts are fishing on or adjacent to structure, others fishing deep mud.  Some resorts are fishing the deep mud.  Some anglers catching walleyes with small jigs tipped with a plastic that mimics bugs and worms in mud.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  

• walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • imhatz
      By imhatz
      Hey guys we are all set for our trip to Sand Point May 21, 2021. Plan to fish pike and crappies. I have been going to this lake since 1982 and now have a new generation crew. They have been going 12 years with me. We normally stay in Browns and fish that area and Grassy. We are in King Pin site this year and plan to fish towards Swanson Bay and up and around Wolf Island. Any pointers. Thanks
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.