• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Post Current Ice Conditions

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk
39 minutes ago, smurfy said:

oh oh....anudder richmond guy!!!!!!!!🥴🤔😂

And a good one at that Icehead that will be good for the forum!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IceHawk

• Wanderer

• smurfy

• Skill-lessWanderer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Today was my maiden voyage on the ice and boy was I stoked to hit the Hardwater again! Felt great to get back on the Hard pack for another season. Plus side was I even managed to put some nice fi

I live in Bemidji and check in here a few times a day and figured it was time I posted about our conditions in my neck of the woods. Smaller lakes up here have been locked up for weeks. Lake Bemidji f

Nope.  Must’ve been someone else.  I had a dog named Jesse once.  Best relative ever. 😉   @Skill-lessWandererwelcome and thanks for posting.  Interesting choice for a handle. 😁

Posted Images

1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

And a good one at that Icehead that will be good for the forum!

What are the possiblties I know this feller??? Been outta speckville a long time 🤔🤣

fishingstar
4 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Thanks for heads up any exact location of the open area. I fish Star quite a bit and what to make a mental note in my head to avoid a catastrophe! 

From my house I can't tell from my house if it's open water or over flow from a crack. It's out in the aerator area.

I was out there last week and there was 7 inches out there. 

IceHawk

Storytell Welcome aboard look forward to reading some of your posts in the future. 

fishingstar
On 12/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, fishingstar said:

From my house I can't tell from my house if it's open water or over flow from a crack. It's out in the aerator area.

I was out there last week and there was 7 inches out there. 

was out there today it was a big crack. There is 9" out there today

• Thumbs Up 1
IceHawk
45 minutes ago, fishingstar said:

was out there today it was a big crack. There is 9" out there today

Thanks for update its appreciated!

I was out on a small SW Metro Pond/Lake and we had 6-8in on Sat.  Fishing was sloooooooow, but good to get out for the first time this year.

MikeG3Boat

Anyone know about some ice conditions in the Chisago Lakes area?  I haven't been able to find any information.

JBMasterAngler

Chisago chain is anywhere from 7 to 10 inches. People starting to park their vehicles on shoreline ice.

Adudenurse

I can't vouch for the ice conditions myself but I did see 3-4 f150/silverado class trucks parked out on the south side of first lake on forest last night on my drive home. I think it's a bit early for that but they looked like they were pulling some small wheelhouses too so who knows. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I found a solid 8in of ice on a SE Metro lake yesterday.  Pretty busy on the little lake I was on.  Fish were more active than the last time I was out!!

• Thumbs Up 1
Skill-lessWanderer

Made it up to lake of the woods yesterday, went home with 10 fish between the wife and I. Caught around 20 total. We were very surprised with how many walleye we caught and the size of them. I didn’t start ice fishing a lot until 2 years ago after a friend took me up to lake of the woods for the first time. We caught around 120 fish between the two days (what a culture shock to catching a few fish a day in the Bemidji area). But I have never been able to replicate that trip ever since starting to go on my own. I started going out of Wigwam due to the high traffic on Adrian’s road. My question is what do I have to do differently to have these 100 fish days that I see all over? Is it like winning the lottery and all luck? Or am I just choosing bad spots? We went out to the end of the road which was 6 miles and made our own spot away from the rest of the crowd in our portable which is what I’ve always been told to do. When you’re out in the basin it seems like no matter where you setup, it’s going to be about 30’-33’ and mud no matter what so structure really isn’t a factor out there. You pass thousands of houses on the way out and wonder if those houses are doing well enough just a mile out to warrant being there and you think the same thing every mile after that. All in all we were happy with the trip and happy with the fish but I just want my wife to see what it was like that day to catch all of those fish, maybe then she’ll want to make the trek more often! Ice was at 23”, really bumpy this year with rough ice on the way out.

09DC7877-6903-4B5E-AB7D-F163CC383DC4.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
Skill-lessWanderer

Oh and in other news about ice conditions, we had a vehicle go through Lake Irving today here in Bemidji. They haven’t released all of the details but it sounds like they ventured to close to the inlet where the Mississippi comes in. All we have is the radio chatter from the police department about the incident so not sure if they made it out in time or not. Lots of current coming through there but hoping for the best for that person or people. Kept referring to a missing persons report on the scanner so not sounding good.

• Thumbs Up 1
16 hours ago, Skill-lessWanderer said:

My question is what do I have to do differently to have these 100 fish days that I see all over? Is it like winning the lottery and all luck? Or am I just choosing bad spots?

Its fishing, that is not the norm, especially for walleyes-even on a lake like LOW.  If 100 walleye/fish days are your expectation, then you are going to be disappointed 99% of the time.  My adice:  appreciate those good days, but don't expect them.

• Thumbs Up 3
gimruis
1 hour ago, CJH said:

Its fishing, that is not the norm, especially for walleyes-even on a lake like LOW.  If 100 walleye/fish days are your expectation, then you are going to be disappointed 99% of the time.  My adice:  appreciate those good days, but don't expect them.

100 fish days on LOTW or another big walleye factory lake is more common during open water season in a boat than ice fishing.  Especially if you are in a wheel house or permanent shack sitting in one spot the whole time just waiting.  If you move a lot to get on fish, you could probably still do it but that will be a ton of work drilling holes and moving equipment.  Cold temps lowers the metabolism of fish, which reduces their feeding activity.  Warmer temps makes them eat more often.  That's just how they work being cold blooded.

Mille Lacs has produced 50 fish days for me in recent years.  June seems to be the best month to fish for them as they are hungry and the water temperature seems to be ideal around 60 degrees.  You can't keep any but catching 50 walleyes or more in a day trip, only an hour and a half from the Twin Cities is pretty good IMO.

The other day they announced in the newspaper that even though on average there is about 5 times as much fishing pressure in the winter, the overall catch rate is lower than it is during the open water season.  And that is with most people using 2 lines in the winter too.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
Skill-lessWanderer

Thanks for the quick replies! That really answers my question very well between the two responses. I will now just start enjoying the chase of ice fishing for walleye, not that I didn’t before, but more like I do with musky fishing during the fall. Cherish the days where I do well and learn from the ones where I don’t catch any or very few. Really changed my mindset and I guess I was just a bit naive after that first trip to expect that result every time. Thanks guys!

• Thumbs Up 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• smurfy
      By smurfy
      My wife just seen in Facebook that a vehicle went through on norway lake by willmar. Said it went through in the area of 189 st?? In about 10 ft of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Remi
      By Remi
      I just won a ice castle fish house/rv edition and am wondering if anyone uses their flush toilets in them, and if so where do you dump at?  
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have been making trips for the past 16 years, but this last one was our worst ever.  Friend and I were up Thursday to Saturday. We started about 6 miles out on Thursday in 30fow. graphed very few fish, and the ones we did would not bite, we did manage to get one eye 26 1/2 inches and one keeper. So Friday we moved out past 7 miles on the outskirts of most others.  Luck did not change, stay pretty much the same as Thursday, did get one 20 inch eye. There were alot of houses but could not tell if anyone was catching anything. watch a couple of trucks try to cross over a pressure ridge. first one got hung up. the second one took a running start, look like both the truck and house caught air. turned out to be the funniest part of trip. anyone fair any better this past few days?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are being caught this week, but a lot of sorting as lots of small fish in the system  Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 - 31'.  Jigging one line on one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the goto strategy.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish coming through such as walleyes and tullibees.  Popular colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and orange.  Lures with a red light stick and rattle baits are also effective.  Some big walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water.  Work through a resort for safety.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road (opening end of week).  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Angle ice fishing continues to be very good with numbers of walleyes being caught.  Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix this week.  Ice fishing taking place in 20-26'.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• knoppers
      By knoppers
      I bought a cabin on hand lake this year, and was woundering if there are any ice fishing reports for the area? I noticed that there are not any reports for this area for a long time, maybe thats a good sign, as its all secret. I was located in palisade, and just moved here this year, looking for general info, nothing specific.
      I can say the ice seems good, if you stay away from the slush.
    • Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Curious to hear what others are using or have had success when carrying their ice auger on a snowmobile. Currently my wheeler is in for a rebuild so time to set up the snowgo. As of now my best thought is a digger mounted on the front bumper to give  the auger a smoother ride. 
    • Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
    • cartway
      By cartway
      ...that the DNR can enter my ice shack without a mask on. Also take my license from my hand and hand it back to me without any sanitation. Has anyone else had this experience ? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye and sauger action on Lake of the Woods.  Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 - 28'.  Jigging one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the go to strategy.  Popular colors this week... gold, glow, glow red, pink and orange.  A lot of small fish to sort through to find keepers.  Some big walleyes from 28 - 32 inches caught this week.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees and eelpout being caught as a rule.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on the river continues to be good overall.  Mornings and evenings are producing the best walleye action. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water.  Work through a resort for safety.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road (open soon).  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Angle ice fishing has been excellent with good numbers of walleyes being caught.  Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee is what anglers will see.  Most fishing taking place in 20-26'.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rivergroup
      With Tom's post in mind, it looks like he's living the life... except for the heart problems!  I'm one of those out-of-towners that comes to LV once or twice a year.  My dad brought be to stay on Ludlow's as a kid.  We fished for whatever we could catch, which wasn't much at the time, out of a rowboat.  He's been gone awhile now, but I have never forgotten how beautiful the lake is.     Fast forward, a group of guys and I started coming to LV once a year in the fall, about 2009 or 2010.  We had a blast and made it a yearly thing.  My best friend that helped me plan the trip, is gone now too.  We took 2 years off and restarted about 5 years ago.  It is one of the highlights of my year.  We've moved our trip to June and have an absolute blast when we're there.  Plus, I've brought the family a few times and my daughter and I spent some time there last October catching crappies.  Times I will alway cherish.   Part of the group trip is just taking in the scenery and being away.  We live on the Mississippi in bluff country and it's awesome, but it's always good to be on LV.  We catch enough fish to make us happy, but it's more about being away with good friends and getting away from the day to day.  We all work in either healthcare or law enforcement and it's huge for us to make an escape from the insanity, especially during the pandemic.   I would like nothing more than to move to LV and stay.  However, my wife has a chronic, limiting illness and has to be near a particular specialty of healthcare which is not exactly close.  While visiting LV, we've been treated very well, but also poorly at times in certain areas.  I do understand that "tourists" can be demanding and rude and generally, a pain.  We go out of our way to not be that way when we're there.  We feel fortunate to have the means and ability to make the trek and enjoy the lake.   I realize that none of you guys probably care about all this, but just wanted to put it out there.  We love the place and we love fishing LV, whether we catch walleyes or not, whether it's windy, rainy, snowy, whatever, we're happy to make the trip.     My best to all and to a better year this year! 
    • smurfy
      i'm thinking lazy boy recliner!!!!!!!!!!😄🤪
    • Kettle
      I feel with papadarv's insight anything could be fabricated 
    • leech~~
      papadarv what do we need here? 😄  
    • Duffman
      The chair was part of the structural integrity, all one unit put together.    
    • leech~~
      Can't he just get a new folding camping chair to put in it?  How hard would that be?  The little holes are nothing to throw a patch on.  Dang the icedog is in Marion, IA. I'll take it and see if I can fix it up, if he can't use it! 👍
    • Duffman
      Sorry to get your hopes up icedog, especially because I was just gonna give it to ya for free, but it is kaput. Just a couple minor mice holes, and it looked pretty good overall, took a pic pointing out the holes......and then I sat in it and moved around a bit. All of the plastic pressure point/parts attached to the chair pretty much disintegrated to the touch. Time and plastic......not a good mixture. I doubt you will find one that is still holding up. But thanks for helping me declutter the shed.      
    • Backforty
      Danner.  Autocorrect gremlins are active today. 
    • Backforty
      Dinner grouse boots for me. Made in the USA.  Support my feet well. 
    • smurfy
      Wife just showed me a facebook post by highbanks today. Urgent message at that. Seems another resort is trying to tie in to highbanks road system.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.