• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

JBMasterAngler

While on my way home from work this morning, I seen that Peltier Lake was frozen over. Clear Lake was probably 99% froze over...looked like a couple random little open spots from geese. To my surprise, Forest Lake was completely iced over. Someone was still busting through ice and duck hunting though. This is very encouraging, as I was hoping to hit the ice this weekend, somewhere north of Hinckley. Tonight’s low is supposed to be in upper teens. Anyone else see other lakes?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Probably not duck hunting as it closed on Sunday. If we can stay cold at night I will go check my first ice spots, but they just locked up Monday night. I will check in a day or two. 

Edited by monstermoose78
monstermoose78

Not in the central Minnesota it closed on Sunday. Otherwise I would be duck hunting today 

JBMasterAngler

Well, I just searched it quick. But anyway, I could care less about hunting seasons.

Stopped at the #2 access on Forest to check it out. The ice is maybe 1.25 inches. Was pretty cool watching the little baby sunnies zipping around right underneath the ice.

Overnight lows in Pine County still look promising. So my early ice spots should be a go this weekend. 

monstermoose78

There is 3 inches out a to 3 feet of water on a lake that I normally hit first. With that said there was open water on Sunday With swans swimming. I did not go towards where the open water was. 

Austin12345

I from the white bear lake/hugo area and the bigger ponds around us me and my buddies hit first in the year are about 2 and a half and three we were walking on some and drilling some holes it was a little to sketchy for my liking might have to wait a little bit longer to fish them effetively 

• I Like it 1
monstermoose78
4 minutes ago, Austin12345 said:

I from the white bear lake/hugo area and the bigger ponds around us me and my buddies hit first in the year are about 2 and a half and three we were walking on some and drilling some holes it was a little to sketchy for my liking might have to wait a little bit longer to fish them effetively 

Good plan

JBMasterAngler

Didn’t stop to check ice thickness, but there were a couple guys ice fishing on Forest this morning. Didn’t see anyone on Clear, but there were 3 vehicles in parking lot, possibly just checking ice or getting ready to head out. Anyone have any reports on the Chisago chain?

On 12/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

Didn’t stop to check ice thickness, but there were a couple guys ice fishing on Forest this morning. Didn’t see anyone on Clear, but there were 3 vehicles in parking lot, possibly just checking ice or getting ready to head out. Anyone have any reports on the Chisago chain?

I was one of the people out of Forest yesterday. Only 2.5 to 3 inches most spots so I wouldn't get hopes up that it lasts through this weeks weather.  

JBMasterAngler

I drove around and checked the ice on Goose, Bone, and Big Marine. Yeah, maxed out at about 3 inches right at the launch. Looked like someone tried to drive an ATV onto Bone, because the ice was completely broken through at the ramp. Big Marine had some open water by the north access, and the ice was starting to melt away from the shoreline.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be driving around to check ice Friday night before the weekend but at this rate it's looking like another week of staring at the gear in the garage wondering what else I "need" for the season.  

• Thumbs Up 2
JBMasterAngler

#2 access on Forest Lake is toast! Looks like someone tried to drive on with an ATV and broke through. It refroze, but not thick enough to walk on. By the end of today, will probably be open water. I’ve already pulled the plug on going ice fishing this weekend.

Some people really are that special I guess.  I couldn't even imagine thinking that is a good idea.  I'm still planning my drive around after work tomorrow to see if there is walkable ice anywhere near Forest but my hopes are much lower now that the weather folks weren't wrong about yesterday.  

monstermoose78

Any new information out there

Looks like people are walking on clear lake just about everywhere but I haven't been out to check ice myself. Haven't seen any wheelers yet. 

Checked ice this weekend on clear and forest with a spud bar, 3 1/2-4” solid clear ice 200 yards from shore on both so I’m sure foot traffic is all good by now.

Thanks for all the information, this is great. Sounds like I am safe to try Forest Lake 1 tomorrow? (and by safe, I mean it's never safe but it holds a human being).

Edited by Jughead

Just bring the spud bar and check as you go.  I found spots on Forest last weekend that were 1 hit with the spud bar so I can't say that everything is good but Monday and Tuesday were awful cold so I would guess most of the lake will be okay for foot travel. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Well said a spud bar, ice picks, whistle, throw rope, flotation suit are a ice fisherman's most important tools early ice!

Squirrelhawke

checked a couple lakes on the way to princeton  today and was kinda surprised at the thickness didn't bring the tape measure and used a hammer but i would say 6+ on the bigger lake and 8 or so on the smaller one both within 30 yards of the launch

• Thumbs Up 1
JBMasterAngler

Little Lake had 6.25 inches, but did not mark 1 single fish throughout entire lake! Was on Goose Lake in Scandia today, had 5 inches. 

I was right at 6 inches on Forest everywhere I checked. Crossing the pressure ridge between lake 1 and 2 was interesting with a lot of standing water on top of it in spots so I would be a little careful around that. Did see quite a few ATVs scooting around as well. 

Found lots of slush pockets yesterday on Forest, probably because the lake was pretty wet before the snow started.

JBMasterAngler

Gave pokegama in Pine City a try today. Lots of powdery snow on the lake. Pretty much all the slush spots are frozen. Ice was just shy of 10 inches.

monstermoose78

I was on blue today and found 6-8 inches.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• whateverisbiting
      That's awesome how strange is it that a fish won't take an easy minnow but will engulf a piece of metal!  I rarely see a northern on the camera in the winter that won't take one of the minnows we have down (usually an assortment of fatheads, shiners, and suckers plain hook or jig) so I don't use lures for them in the winter, though that could be fun to try; I never thought a fish would even look at a vertically jigged regular size spoon thanks for sharing.   My Dad was going to Canada for a number of years with his buddies.  First year I joined them they swore by the 5 of diamonds.  I proceeded to go through my tackle box and basically outfished them with every other lure in the box.  But that is Canada it is more just about getting the bait in front of their face and I casted deep and shallow from the front of the boat while they trolled 10' the entire trip.  They still all use the 5 of diamonds spoon.
    • smurfy
      anyone been out???? heading up a week from tomorrow........lake conditions..........ice reports.........landings info would be appreciated.   i know things will change greatly between now and then but......... its really hard to find any info googling resorts and bait shops for some reason.
    • gimruis
      You can say that again.  A statewide limit for panfish should be cut in half.
    • Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1 New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️
    • Rick G
      This is the spot I have chosen...  Second pic is the 22 "winter" access.. It's located about a mile and half south  of Richmond Mn on hwy 22.  Last pic is of the route from winter access to the Fishing spot.  First pic is of actual spot I picked.  From my scouting missions, this seems to be the area with the most active fish.  
    • PSU
      Hello again friends. Island cabin in Frazer / Smarts Bay area. We have used AT and T for many years and usually get decent cell coverage due to cell tower proximity, but as usual get buffering when the lake is busy. That being said, we burn a lot of data streaming tv through our hotspot and computer to a large computer monitor. I am considering buying a 32 inch smart tv, an antennae (not sure which networks would be available) and an Apple TV with storage. By doing this I think I should get local network broadcasts (may even be able to get a cheap portable DVR/ bring Apple tv downloaded from home with content to view non-streamed (no hot spot). Has anyone tried this scenario to save on data and perhaps reduce buffering from a low cell signal?
    • Rick G
      We are about a week and a half out yet... As of now, Ice conditions are very good holding at a little over two feet thick yet, we have about 5 inches of new snow on top of it. Hoping we don't get quite as warm and windy as they are predicting the next week as this will eat the ice quick... I will keep an eye on things and keep updated.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has suspended winter ATV use on 99 miles of groomed, shared-use trails in the Nemadji and St. Croix state forests, including the Matthew Lourey State Trail due to warming temperatures. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • monstermoose78
      We got prizes!! Working on a few other things as well
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall.  Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.   Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service. A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.