• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 gun deer season ?

monstermoose78

Good Luck to all this year!  will be warm, but that will just make it easier to sit all day in the woods and watch the natural world move by!  

Looks warm on Sat/Sun, but a big weather change is coming in on Monday and all of next week looks like 30's and no hurricanes in sight.

Remember to exercise patience because there will likely be more hunters out there this season too if it follows the same pattern everything else has related to the outdoors in 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Not many deer in the arrowhead!! 9 shots heard for both days and two were my brother. Seen a button buck yesterday but no doe tag!! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Saturday morning there was good deer movement, better than I anticipated. My partner shot a fork, i passed a doe and smaller 8 pt. Only hunted Sat morning as i wanted to butcher the one we had because of the warm weather. So Sat evening i did a little drive around to some of the local public land spot. Holy moly, I know the warm weather helped, but there were more cars parked in places that i have never seen them before. Kind of cool to see the resurgence in hunting to the level it has been. 

Gonna get back out Wednesday, maybe we'll have some snow on the ground.

• Thumbs Up 3

Update on the buck I shot at. I did hit him just forward and a little low. My cousin found him today fighting off a coyote. My cousin shot the buck and could not get the coyote. 

4C605B72-D2A7-4D3F-9183-1BA296F8B88E.png

06009F4D-DAD0-47B5-919F-E3DEDAA29F1C.jpeg

689521CA-D057-4548-8A52-335AB3F8A4D1.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Between wolves and some bad winters our deer up north are pretty scarce. I see more moose and their tracks now than whitetail.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/deer/management/statistics.html

Total harvest this year:  195,010.  (last two yrs. were 183,000 (2019) and 188,000 (2018)...  further more look back a few years--2014, 139,000...)

Harvest doesn't tell the whole tale, (and I know certain counties are up while others are down) but these numbers indicate the statewide-herd would seem to be thriving.

If you like lotteries, when you look at total licenses sold, ~1/3 of all tags sold are getting filled; I like those odds.

(*brag alert* ...and I'm beating "the house" pretty handily ?)

Edited by DonkeyHodey
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I also read the other day that 2020 was a record harvest for turkeys last spring, 13996 birds.  The previous record was in 2010 at 13467.

I think a major role in these record harvests is the result of the pandemic.  More people participating is going to result in more people harvesting.  Same with fishing, camping, boating, etc.

Edited by gimruis

Indeed. People are really enjoying the outdoors. ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      The title say's it all.
      I'm looking for a nice deer rifle in 308.
      May consider other calibres, I'm gettin old, and don't like the recoil from magnum rifles.
      I know what they are worth, no that doesn't scare me. LOL
      May even consider other vintage rifles, BDL, etc.
      Have lots to trade if that's you're bag, but I also have cash for the right rifle.
      Thanks
      Jim
    • Wanderer
      By Wanderer
      Well, why not anyway???

This year is a single 3 day season going on now.  Just got a pic from camp with a lucky somebody today.  Nope, I don’t know him.  Just got the pic.

Anyone else out there?  I haven’t picked up my bow in over a year and am still busy working.  I feel like I’m missing out this year!  Nice weekend to be there!

• Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      Hi everyone. It has been a slow start to the 2021 waterfowl season in MN. A combination of a bunch of factors including very low water conditions and fewer wetlands, much warmer than normal temperatures, and a lot of shooting on MN lakes and wetlands in September has led to not a lot of resident ducks left around, those that are around not moving much, and a delay in the migration of ducks and geese from the north. The saving grace for this season for me has been watching my nine year old son graduate from coming with and watching, to fully participating. Practice shooting and calling this summer has him calling and harvesting birds with a 20 gauge, and a pair of waders has him helping with decoy set up and take down. He has shot his first duck of multiple species already, and his Dad and Grandpa have managed a few ducks while letting Parker take the singles that have come in. This past weekend, we finally saw some migrating flocks of canvasbacks and gadwalls, so the calendar migration is starting, albeit a couple weeks late. Should be some good pushes of ducks into MN the next couple weeks, so good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• GunnerInAndover
      By GunnerInAndover
      I have 2 boxes of Winchester 7mm WSM 140gr Ballistic silver tip id like to sell.   $60 per box of 20 or best offer.
    • GunnerInAndover
      By GunnerInAndover
      I’m cutting back on my duck snd pheasant hunting to concentrate on fishing and deer hunting. I have more shotgun shells than I need and know they are a hard to find item.  Where’s is the best place to sell or trade them? 
    • JN13
      By JN13
      Hard to find model, 5" barrel and two tone, really nice shape, one box of ammo through it, need to have ptp, asking $1200.

• JN13
      By JN13
      Excellent shape and it's a Henry-smooth action, 25 rounds through it, 2 boxes of ammo included, hard to find model, asking $350.

• JN13
      By JN13
      Model 93R17, Great shape and super accurate rifle, target barrel and accutrigger model, BSA Sweet 17 scope 2-7 × 32, adjustable bipod, stock and barrel in excellent shape, comes with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), asking $400

• pwencel
      By pwencel
      We have 4 AKC GSP puppies left for sale that are ready for their new homes. Pedigrees Available. Great family dogs and hunting dogs. Born on 8/2/21. Call or text me for pictures or if you have any questions!.  320 808 4541

• 2adrsuess
      By 2adrsuess
      I have lots of boxes of 12g Federal / Winchester 7.5/8shot lead trap loads, but have recently picked up a 20g OU and can't find any ammo for Wednesday night trap nights. Let me know if you'd be willing to swap a box (or more) of 12g for similar 20g loads. My ammo is stored in ammo cans indoors with desiccant packs, and all relatively new, (1-2 years) my supply is constantly being refreshed. Apple Valley / Lakeville area.  
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      Last year was the first time that I remember seeing any plowed roads out of the west end. I agree about chains making a huge difference on ATVs, but not if the snow is deep. Sleds ride on the snow. ATVs need to get down to the ice or packed snow.   It has been a while since I have heard of any guides setting out sleepers. If one did, they would need to do some good advertising to make it worth it.
    • leech~~
      And all of them the same size. Like they came right from Morey's!  😄
    • smurfy
      Hah, callem, only 14 fillets, 7 fish 🤣 and there's 2 of us here with a license.🤭
    • leech~~
      That looks like a pretty big haul!   Got any T.I.P  s   🤭
    • smurfy
      Another batch of Itasca county snot rockets thru the smoker.
    • JerkinLips
      First year I put it out I went 3 miles out from the closest plowed road.  Used the lake snowmobile trail for a few miles, then packed my own trail before dragging it out.  Slush could be a problem but you could do the same thing (pack a trail with your sled the night before and let it freeze overnight).  Portables are much easier to move, but not as comfortable as a wood house.   Vermilion Ice Conditions - heard there was still open water on Big Bay Thursday and Friday.  Not sure if I will go out 7 days from now.
    • opsirc
      Has anyone been out on lakes around duluth and how was the ice.
    • Mike89
      sorry for your loss...  prayers and thoughts to ya all...
    • Mtnman
      Happy Holidays Muskies !! I've been off sight for a long while. My Son died in July at 45 from a heat stroke while working in Knoxville Tn. I've had a hard time with that.  We did not make our fall trip to Rainy Lake, and the effects of it all are felt now.  How was the fall ?  A friend with a guide service there told me I didn't miss anything, and the lack of post tend to support that. We appreciate all post and fishing chatter shared on this forum and especially all you share. Best wishes for a great winter. CHEERS to all !!
    • Mike89
      that's what I thought but it threw me!!   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.