• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Arial thing I saw, maybe last year, was at ice out and it was done by somebody with a drone.    Some of them have pretty good range and altitude.      

Friend went out ½ mile from McKinley Park yesterday and found 4 inches of solid ice.  He said there were people as far out as Birch Island.  His photos show less than 50% snow cover out from the Park which should help make good ice with no more snow predicted in the next 2 weeks.  With cool temperatures tonight and tomorrow I think some brave (crazy) people will be taking out ATV's and snowmobiles this weekend.  I am going up December 7 just to be safe.  My next report will be in the Vermilion fishing thread.

• Thumbs Up 2

The update is much appreciated JerkinLips.

Since it was further behind, the west end (Head o Lakes) is likely further behind in ice development.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where did you get that satellite image? I tried some of the National Weather Service / NOAA satellite imagery inks but there was too much cloud cover to see the lake. 

We got out on Niles yesterday. The Bay is all frozen up, although we didn't venture out on any of the new ice. Stuff we fished close to shore had 4"-7" of nice hard ice.

• Thanks 1

Fished one of the local lakes last evening.

6 1/2"-7"s of ice across the whole lake.

There was a wheeler out there, on top of the ice. lol

Let the fishin begin.

• Wow, ❤ 1

Went to the same spot last night.

Don't know what's happening, but we only had 5 1/2"s of ice last night.

Dug 6-8 holes, fished for an hour, and there was water all over the ice where ever we stood.

Better be careful out there.

• Thanks 1

I want to go fishin pretty badly, but there is a fine line out there that I'm not about to cross.

We got in the truck and left that lake too. Didn't even stop at Vermillion, can't believe it could be any better. I used the fishing hooks for  LIVE BAIT HOOK - MZFHLBTI-XX fishing which is more effective to caught a fish. The 3 lakes we looked at were all less than a 1000 acres in size, the one with the open water, right around 250 acres. No body ever accused me of bein a genius, but I'm not about to risk my life to go fishin. LOL

Walked out from McKinley Park today. Only about 10% snow cover. Ice looked nice and dark and I found 6 inches of ice just out of the bay. Couple dozen groups out today and somebody had a permanent fish house close to Birch Island. Numerous 4 wheelers were running around in addition to a couple of snowmobiles. I have two of each but won't be taking them out until the end of next week considering the warm temperatures before then. If you venture out be very careful.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2020 at 6:02 AM, idlesmelt said:

I want to go fishin pretty badly, but there is a fine line out there that I'm not about to cross.

We got in the truck and left that lake too. Didn't even stop at Vermillion, can't believe it could be any better. I used the fishing hooks for  LIVE BAIT HOOK - MZFHLBTI-XX fishing which is more effective to caught a fish. The 3 lakes we looked at were all less than a 1000 acres in size, the one with the open water, right around 250 acres. No body ever accused me of bein a genius, but I'm not about to risk my life to go fishin. LOL

I need me a box of 1000 of those 9/0 hooks, I hear they are the bomb for walleye when  using rainbows.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up next weekend for a while, and wanted to double-check that the ice in HeadOLakes is thick enough for sleds. I know that people are riding mid-lake and east, but those bays froze faster. Are people running machines across the west side?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.