• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Chemist

So as i got a Cabelas CC, I will be able to get a new locator. Currently have 2 FL-8s but want an upgrade. I basically spend the winter for Cats. Have over $500 in awards.

• Thumbs Up 1
The Chemist

Hard water only. 

Wanderer

For a Vex guy an FLX 28 would seem like a logical choice unless you want to change completely.  Hook it up with lithium power.

The Chemist

Not really set on a brand for electronics. Looking for the unit that gives the best options but not extremely expensive. 

Wanderer

I can’t think of an option I’d want the FLX 28 doesn’t have.  I’d like to play with the shallow water/low power setting.  

I’ve been using Marcum LX5’s but have witnessed 28’s in action and would strongly consider purchasing one.  Otherwise I’ll upgrade to a Marcum LX 7 when I do upgrade.  I just haven’t been big on digital flashers due earlier experiences with them. I know they’ve improved a lot though.

Edited by Wanderer
Horseshoe_Don

been using a marcum lx-9 for years and the chart view is awesome for cats and other species.    The lx-6 will do most of the same stuff for a cheaper price.   Would never go back to a vex ever they are so lo tech.    Nothing beats chart view.  Never use my flasher view.  There service dept is in new hope and is 4 start.   My 2 cents worth. 

Horseshoe Don

• Thumbs Up 1
The Chemist

Don, so looking at them they have the lx-6s, lx-7l and the mx-7gps. I like the gps portion if it saves waypoints on it. 

Thoughts?

Horseshoe_Don

not familiar with the mx-7gps.   Love the lx 6,7, and 9.    Also have an rt-9 which i am selling at an auction 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I've heard this river has plenty of catfish. I've tried my luck a couple times at the canoe launch but nothing (lots of carp here). Are there any spots that are tried and true? I use a carolina rig with whatever weight I have on hand, circle or octopus hook, usually crawlers but have also tried fresh cut sucker.
    • teeeeelr
      By teeeeelr
      do you guys have any reccomendations for rigs and baits to use for catfish at lake st. croix? ones that work well during the summer. 
      thanks! 
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Good morning everyone! I hope you all have had better luck than me recently. I'm beginning to think I need a wise mentor to guide me because the kitties continue to elude me... I have been to Peninsula point park in Anoka, Crow river near Rockford, Coon Rapid's dam (BP side), and a handful of metro lakes (Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, lake of the Isles, and Wirth).
      I have the following areas picked out for my next trips:
      Gray's Bay on lake Minnetonka Hidden falls Minnehaha where it meets the Mississippi I have been using crawlers or cut suckers on a carolina rig. Sometimes I'll switch it up and lighten the weight for a float.

I suspect a possible gar sighting on one of my trips, but it cut the line (40lb test braid) with a fierce head shake. A clean cut right at the hook. I wish I could have gotten a better look at it 😩 It hasn't all been bad though! I caught some other species in the process and met some awesome people.

• Daniel Hayes
      By Daniel Hayes
      looking to try cut bait for catfishing. Usual use nightcrawlers or stink bait, but am looking to filter the Rockbass and small cats. 
      I'm gunna buy a couple decoy suckers and use. But am wondering how to humanely kill and cut up? Or do I just cut umm alive while flopping like a serial killer?
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So tomorrow the 29th I’m headed over to the ford dam for some flatheads or channel cats. This is a free invitation to anyone who would like to join me for some relaxing time on the river!!! Feel free to message me for more details!! Planning on heading out at 10 and fishing until dark. 
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Catfishing the Red River? In the F/M area?

What works best for catfishing in the F/M area?
      Whats the contour of the Red River like for someone to see where to fish?
      Are any of the dam spots good for catfishing?

What has worked for you?
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Looking for spots near the F/M area on the Red to catch catfish. 
      What tributaries are known for catfish or other species?
      Where does a person go to look for catfish on the Red River?
      Do dams work well? 

• F/M member
      By F/M member
      What is going on for catfishing and/or walleye fishing on the Red River this Spring in/or near F/M area?
      The date is 4/22/2020. 
      -
      -
      Any spots that seem to be working for catching fish?
      Any fishing setups work well right now for walleye/catfish on the Red?
      -
      -
      Personally, I am a new member and I am looking to go guiding with someone for either walleye or catfish at this time of year. 
      My email address is [email protected] Cell phone number is 3202981047. 
      I have fished the Red River in the past but not with much luck. I don't know where to go specifically for spots. Looking for friends/buddies to show me. 
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I mentioned in a previous post that I'm hoping to catch my first catfish this year. I've poked around the coon rapids dam but caught nothing, other than my first tick bite 😞

There's actually a story behind my catfish mission. It all started when I was about 10 years old, fishing off a dock at a family cabin. I was bored, casting and reeling repeatedly. My older cousins teased me, saying I wouldn't catch anything with a plastic crawler. I didn't care since I was only there to experience the lake...but after a few more casts, something hit with the force of a freight train (to little 10 year-old me, anyway). My cousins saw me struggling with something and came over in time for the fish to leap out of the water, revealing the biggest fish my young eyes had ever seen. It was a cat, a BIG one, and it was about twenty feet out. One cousin grabbed a net while the other jumped around hollering. The adults emerged to investigate all the commotion. EVERYONE was on the dock waiting for me to land this beast! My mom had a camera, my cousin was ready with the net, my aunt was screaming like she was watching the vikings play. I fought for what felt like ages, and finally spotted the fish; bright eyes, whiskers, a long dark body that was solid muscle, and a mouth that could swallow my fist. It seemed to look at me and contemplate for a moment...then spat out the hook. It disappeared into the depths as dumbfounded silence fell over the dock.

I have zero doubts that it was a channel catfish. Likely not a record breaker, but beefy nonetheless. The catfish continues to elude me, but I'm determined to break the cycle this year! 🎣
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Not any more. Like I said above they are moving you have to stay active on the sites if you want one.   Sold  · 2006 Ski-Doo skandic $4,500 Vehicles Listed 13 hours ago in Esko, MN
    • StateofHockey
      Looking forward to some hard water fishing, will be up after Thanksgiving but not expecting enough ice 5"-6" for me to get out fishing yet. Can wait for another week or 2.
    • StateofHockey
      St Louis county plows Moccasin pt road down to the boat ramp and a row of parking spaces on the south side of the road. Provides a fairly busy mid lake access right on the main snowmobile trail.  Parking is limited, generally full/over full on nice winter Saturdays.
    • fishingstar
      I don't know if you are on facebook but there is one on marketplace. 2006 Ski-Doo Skandic 550F WT for 4500
    • Mike89
      only you!!!  LOL!!
    • Wanderer
      Have you posted any Want to Buy ads on the other sites you’ve been shopping?  Might just tip someone’s hand that doesn’t want to post one for sale.   Good luck!
    • smurfy
      what???? letting me know when he sets his garbage out!!!!!!🤣
    • Mike89
      that is darn good of you IceHawk!!!   I salute you for that!!  
    • IceHawk
      If you only knew how much I have done to help out youths hunting and fishing by donateing ,teaching and by being a positive role model, mentor. . Those that know me know how much it means to me to see a smile on a newbies kids face after he ices his first fish!  In fact I just gave one of my clam pros to a buddies 14 year old son that is really getting hooked on the sport. How many are willing to do that 😉   Thought it was a bear digging in my garbage cans little did I know a smurfy would pop up from the ruins 🤣 Hope fully you get some use out of them 😀
    • smurfy
      its ok, i'm a 63 year old kid and i did some dumpster diving, aka shopping and got them. they didnt go to the landfill!!!!👍😂

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.