• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SkunkedAgain

Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1
JerkinLips

SkunkedAgain, I will be up early Friday so I will let you know.  Boat and motor (and full minnow bucket) are still in the lake from last week when water temps were 50F.

• Thanks 1
Darrell Larson

I live on the north side of Pike Bay was helping our lady friend down the road pull her dock out last night. To my surprise there were ice chunks floating in the dock area. You may be all right for next weekend for open water, but if this current trend keeps up, it won't be long after that. Tourists are gone, seasonal cabin owners are thinning, cabin lights across the bay at night are far and few. I will now begin my annual hibernation, seems like it's been going on forever with the covid virus and all. You all stay safe.

Edited by Darrell Larson
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
CigarGuy
19 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.

Your neighbor Chad pulled his boat out Sunday. Down my way as of yesterday, things are wide open

• Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

That's good to hear now, it's this week of pretty much below-freezing weather that has me concerned for the shallow bay! Thanks for the reports everyone.

I saw an article about a dumb BWCA camper from Indiana who nearly froze. The rescuers had to bust ice to reach him during the rescue. This forecast looks bad if we get skim ice before 7 inches of snow on Thursday!

image.png.f1d63130b3b5db1da427d03225570f56.png

• Thanks 1
JerkinLips

The harbor in Tower is frozen over.  Pike Bay has a little skim ice along some shores.  Big Bay was 48F yesterday.  I am worried about my boat and unheated trailer in Soudan so I am heading up Wednesday and will report on lake conditions by Thursday.  Only have small electric heaters in the trailer so it will be cold until I get a new LP tank installed on Friday.

• Thanks 1
TrueNorth
4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

That's good to hear now, it's this week of pretty much below-freezing weather that has me concerned for the shallow bay! Thanks for the reports everyone.

I saw an article about a dumb BWCA camper from Indiana who nearly froze. The rescuers had to bust ice to reach him during the rescue. This forecast looks bad if we get skim ice before 7 inches of snow on Thursday!

image.png.f1d63130b3b5db1da427d03225570f56.png

Global warming. 

• Thanks 1
gimruis

Long range forecast has 50 degrees by deer opener.  I highly doubt winter is already here to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Darrell Larson

As far as I can see west of Duffy Island towards the Houseboats in Pike Bay it skimmed over with ice last night. Not saying it's going to stay. Just saying it has ice.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Thanks 1
Austin12345

When do you guys get ice up there on a normal year was up by sawbill a week and a half ago water was pretty chilly

• Thanks 1
JerkinLips

I couldn't find ice-in data on Lake Vermilion  but mid-November is typical.  Usually occurs during firearms deer hunting but has occurred at the beginning and end of November.  May occasionally deviate outside of November.  Would be interesting to see the data.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

I'm in Black Bay, which in a typical year is no more than 6 feet deep (5ft this year!) so it's one of the first places to freeze along with all of the other shallow bays. My rule of thumb has always been to plan on trips through the end of October, open water in November is a pleasant gift. This year is obviously a little different at the moment.

I am hoping for that warm up....maybe I should just sit tight for a week and not push trying to get up there this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Darrell Larson

Skunked Again, heavy wet snow last night been shoveling it I'd say 3"+, what ice was there yesterday is now gone in front of my house anyways, more like a big slushy, 30' beyond is open water again. I have 44 degrees on the deck right now, you should be safe making a trip this weekend. If I'm wrong PM me I send you my address and you can come punch me in the nose.

• Thanks 1
chucker1101
22 hours ago, mulefarm said:

Ice fishing by Halloween?

Only if you're crazy :)

SkunkedAgain

I appreciate it Darrell. Lucky for you my days of throwing punches are decades behind me!

• Yayyyy 1
  • 2 weeks later...
SkunkedAgain

It sounds like there is pretty good ice up there in the smaller bays. My neighbor tried to boat into his place in Black Bay, but only made it halfway before getting turned away. I'm heading up tomorrow to see if my ice breaker can make it through. I'm hoping for an above-freezing night and some strong rays of sun tomorrow!

• Thanks 1
CigarGuy
On 11/4/2020 at 11:10 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

It sounds like there is pretty good ice up there in the smaller bays. My neighbor tried to boat into his place in Black Bay, but only made it halfway before getting turned away. I'm heading up tomorrow to see if my ice breaker can make it through. I'm hoping for an above-freezing night and some strong rays of sun tomorrow!

IMG_20201106_143802611.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
CigarGuy
Just now, CigarGuy said:

IMG_20201106_143802611.jpg

On 11/4/2020 at 11:10 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

Thought I posted a comment, didn't show up. Looks like you made it as far as I can see!  Neighbor said he heard you cutting your way down towards Black Bay. You're gonna have to rename your boat the "US Coast Guard, Cutter II"😀

• Thumbs Up 1
redlabguy

Skunked,

you know that was crazy, right? But I do admire the grit.

RLG

CigarGuy

Glad things turned out okay for you! Looks like you might of been by yourself! That would add a element of danger if something went wrong! Was happy for you to see it all opened up Saturday. Did I forget to  say, you're nuts?😀😀👍

Wanderer

To the uneducated, it’s obvious you did this because...

Why was that again??? 🤔😁

SkunkedAgain

It was a beautiful night - 45 degrees, no wind, and stars galore until the moon came up. I put my camping pad and sleeping bag in the boat floor and slept like a baby, only stirring to a few coyote calls in the middle of the night. It's rare that I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping on a water bed!

• Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1
tinker

I enjoy your posts . Reminds me of when I was younger. Please stay safe and remember what they say about poking the Bear.

• Thumbs Up 1