• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gimruis

Not sure if anyone else saw this but the statewide pheasant report was released by the DNR yesterday and its up 42% statewide.  Its the highest numbers in over a decade.  A mostly mild winter and a dry spring likely accounted for lower mortality and a good hatch.  There will be no shortage of birds...or hunters.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/pheasant/prospect_map.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

That explains the numbers I am seeing on my way to work.

gimruis
10 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

That explains the numbers I am seeing on my way to work.

Pheasant populations can proliferate quickly (or plummet quickly) given specific weather conditions but long term numbers are dependent on available habitat, which has been dwindling for years.  Farmers have taken marginal land and turned it into crop production in many states, including Minnesota.  So this "boom" we're seeing this year is not going to be a long term trend unless the winters are mild every year and we get a dry June every year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Still seeing a lot of birds on my way home cutting across country roads. 

• I Like it 1
gimruis
Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2020 at 7:24 AM, monstermoose78 said:

Still seeing a lot of birds on my way home cutting across country roads. 

I spent a large portion of the day on Saturday driving the countryside asking for permission.  I saw quite a few birds doing it too.  I've actually seen some corn harvested too already (for silage I assume) which has not been the case for years this early.  Its going to be a good season I think.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Brandon Smith
      By Brandon Smith
      Where are people taking hides these days? I haven't seen hides for habitat dropoffs this year.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Good luck every this weekend!!
    • ANYFISH2
      By ANYFISH2
      It appears the US Fish and Wildlife Service is in the press of removing the Grey Wolf from the Endangered and Threatened lists.  After waiting period they will be delisted on January 4th 2021.
    • Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      This season got off to a slow start after my son got his first ever bird on his first youth opener. Parker's first shot at a duck or goose got him a ten pound Canada goose. Early regular season netted a few bluewing teal, wood ducks, and a mallard, but we weren't seeing as many birds in central MN as we usually do early in the season. With the cold fronts and even some snow lately, things have picked up with us decoying mallards, pintails, greenwing teal, shovelers, canvasbacks, ringnecks, redheads, and bluebills. Worried about an early freeze up with the current weather and forecasted weather, but we shall see. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• going4it
      By going4it
      Heading up this week to chase birds and wondering if the leaves are mostly down? Thank you for the info. 
    • Brian Balzum
      By Brian Balzum
      I have a new Ruger GP100 6" barrel and I'm looking for the best cartridge for deer hunting? Max distance would be 30 - 40 yards
    • ANYFISH2
      By ANYFISH2
      Just heads up, if you haven't already heard.  Camp Ripley youth hunt has been cancelled for 2020. 
      Public hunts will not have a lottery, information and purchase dates will be released in August.  This allows for a easier cancelation of the hunts.

Thanks Covid.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I can’t find varmint loads any where, Any help? 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      Click here to see photos and vote.
    • Beinglis23
      By Beinglis23
      which Bait is best for rainbow and brown trout
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      Looking at a few webcams, we are getting closer to ice-up:    
    • Coleman
      I'm assuming they were panfish beds.  Just seems like such a random spot.  Wish I had an underwater camera with me, I would have checked them out when I first saw them.  
    • IceHawk
      Coleman were they panfish beds? Many times they will still be there the following year if not washed away. 
    • IceHawk
      Eboni labrador retrievers was the kennel. Heard nothing but good things about smith farm labradors
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we approach Thanksgiving, thin ice covers back bays and a portion of the big lake, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay.   Roughly half of the lake is covered in ice with the rest open water.  Ice anglers are hoping for cold nights combined with low wind and no snow to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  When the ice thickens, resorts will begin marking trails where there is the best ice.  Stay tuned... On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  With current in the river, most visitors will work through a resort for safety. Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas with open water in neck down areas.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  Resorts are ready for ice fishing!  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging
    • opsirc
      Has anyone been out to check ice on any lakes in area. Heard there was 2-3 inches on strand. 
    • Coleman
      Just as a note, I got on the chain Saturday around noon.  Main lakes had a skim of ice, 1/2", shallow bodies(East lake) look like the ice was actually walkable, please don't take my word for that though.     Anyways, water temps were 34*.  I didn't fish much at all, just broke up enough ice to get some new data for mapping.  I did mark quiet a few fish, which is a plus.     On another note, has anyone else noticed the large group(15-20) of beds on Horseshoe just north of the meth hole, about 8-9FOW?  I noticed these this spring, and they're still there.  Thought it was kind of interesting they'd still be there even after all the boat traffic this year.  
    • Wanderer
      Sounds like a fantastic fall!!
    • gimruis
      Smith Farms Labradors?  My 8 year old British yellow lab is from that breeder in Grove City.
    • h8go4s
      In New Mexico? Not much. In Minnesota? A little more. Wheel boat, I assume for a 50 HP on a 15' boat. Bench seats? Does the outboard run? What's wrong with the lower unit? Does the steering work? Does the throttle work? Is there a trailer?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.