• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So my family and another are looking for a place to spend a week next August.  They aren’t the camping type yet, so we’re looking for something with a roof over our collective heads.  The place we’ve been going the past few years doesn’t allow dogs and we just got a springer puppy and we’re not leaving him behind again.  The fishing was also not kid-friendly, meaning I worked hard for a week to catch 4 9” walleye, 2 12” pike, 1 6” smallie and 4 rock bass..... I was forced to leave and drive twenty minutes to pop into a different spot and catch a fish dinner.

I’ve found plenty of vrbos in the Ely/Orr/Grand Marais area that would work, but I would love to support a local business up that way and stay at a resort, especially if it’s a place we can return to year after year.  The two main drivers would the ability for kids to catch fish off the dock and a slightly relaxed attitude with well behaved dogs.  There seem to be resorts that allow dogs but their exhaustive pet policies on the websites don’t make them sound incredibly welcoming.  Obviously good fishing off the boat would be a bonus for the big kids...... 

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by macgruber

Hungry Jack Lodge. Great place! I think they allow pets. Kids can catch sunnies from dock, and walleye after dark. Swimming beach...sunnies and beaches are rare in Grand Marais. There’s 2 hiking trails nearby, one goes to Moss Lake. Leo Lake is just down the road, and is good for rainbow trout from shore. There’s a little community on the gunflint trail at the turn off to hungry jack...trail center restaurant, a gift shop, bait shop, etc. Hungry Jack itself is best quality bass lake up there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks JB.  I did notice they mentioned pet friendly and we have fished off their dock and the kids loved it, little guy caught 5 smallmouth in the time it took me to pay for a boat launch and buy a map and bait...... Given we came off a week trip of not getting a single fish off the dock, that would be a welcome change, it’s nice when the little kids can occupy themselves with fishing and have some success.... 

Edited by macgruber