• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is the best crankbait?

simonmichel

Question

5 answers to this question

Variety, because while they all do basically the same thing, they do differ just slightly as well.

Sometimes you want a subsurface one.  Sometimes the shallow diving one.  Sometimes the medium diving one and sometimes a deep diving one.

Agree this is pretty open ended and an arsenal is needed.  When fishing with multiple people, we always test a variety of baits.  I see a lot talk about what is important like color and action, but in my hands most of the time those things don't seem to matter as much as advertised.

What it seems like to me is that getting the right speed at the right depth is the primary thing that differentiates what catches and what does not. Also, some baits are better for casting, while others for trolling.  Good tuning of the bait is important.  Last, what is important is, how do you like to fish?

If I had to pick one, the most versatile is a lipless crankbait.  Good for casting and trolling.  Can keep it shallow by reeling in right away with rod tip high, or deep by counting down.  Can vary the speed of retrieve.  This allows covering a lot of water fast like when on a break you can cast out or in without changing baits.  No lip so no tuning issues.  Very durable.  I have caught fish casting, free line trolling, and downrigging.  Catches all species.  I mainly use it for Northern, bass, and walleye, but have also caught some nice crappies and some ambitious perch and sunnies and even lake trout and salmon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whatever catches fish. I separate my cranks by what the fish tell me they like. My best ones are full of teeth marks as they are consistently reliable in the right conditions. A buddy of mine (now passed) fished the PWT. He and his partner found you could have 10 of the exact same cranks and only a few were really consistent catchers. The ones that got wacked regular they separated out to their own box called Proven Deadly. We surmised that the vibration/action of these lures must have been just right. I had a #7 crawdad Shad Rap that was lights out on walleye and big northern. I finally had to retire it as it was shredded. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Could not agree more with that. It amazes me how many times a particular lure out performs others that are visually the same. I like the idea of a  seperate box for those baits. I use the war scarred approach to picking which lure to put on now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Spent the weekend at Vacationland, Otttertail. Lake level down almost 3 feet so only one landing with enough water to launch a boat. With 20 to 30 MPH winds and 3 to 4 ft. waves we chose to fish surrounding smaller lakes. Had great time Catch & Release Bass fishing. My prise money fish was a sunfish.

My giant "Ottertail Money Sunfish" he looks sorta small cause I have very large hands and I held him a long way from the camera. He did put up a good fight. He is still swimming.

• smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Was looking at doing some bass fishing on big marine. I saw on the map that little inlet on the far south side that goes into some super shallow water. I’m guessing it’s full of weeds or pads of some sort. Anyone bass fished tgat in the summer before. I would be doing it by canoe. Just seeing if it’s worth a shot.. Thanks 
    • AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      Well seeing as nobody wants to take the reigns.... I'm gonna set a date for a small get together and see where this goes.  March 13, Richmond Mn.... 
      Not sure if we will do prizes or food yet... though my offer to buy burgers and fixings still stands if we can get a grill set up lined up for sure.   
      There will be no host, unless someone wants the spot. I will however provide details on ice conditions and location in the coming weeks.

If for whatever reason catfish don't work out, panfish can be found close by.   
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      There is a proposal to angling in the form of catch and release for bass year round in the works.  This would be in addition to the current regulations that allow the limited harvest of both smb and lmb from late May until the season closes.  I know that Michigan and Wisconsin both allow the specific targeting of bass for catch and release purposes before their traditional opening date.  Michigan has done it for years, and Wisconsin just started it last year.

I'm not real positive that this will pass, as I think MN is about a decade behind Wisconsin when it comes to these kinds of changes.
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      2 weekends ago I got out for the first time in a couple months and we hit a little lake in the Crosslake area for some crappie fishing.  We trolled small plastics in 12-14 feet of water and caught a lot of crappies and sun fish.  The crappies were all in that 9"-11" range for the most part with one at 11 7/8" and the sunfish were up to 9".  We ended with 15 crappies and 3 sun fish kept for a nice meal or 2.  We went back this past Saturday and the fished moved to deeper waters as they were not in the 18' or less range.  We did find marks on the graph in deeper water but was too windy to try.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Made it to Riverdale Flowage today. Pretty silted in, structure less reservoir. Still has some potential. Seen a few bass swimming around, and caught 2 pike early on back to back casts, but didn’t see another fish after that. Floating leaves EVERYWHERE made whopper ploppers a difficult presentation. Jig and craw about the only thing I could use to keep that stuff off.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of fall walleye fishing.  Bring lots of bait as the fish are active.  There are lots of small fish in the system that bodes well for the future.  You will catch your eaters and other larger fish, but will usually have to sort through small fish along the way. Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Most fish are usually adjacent to the bottom.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers still using spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits. The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River, consequently, there are walleyes around.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.   Trolling crankbaits is an extremely effective technique in the river.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.    Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022. Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes are stacked and active with big numbers of fish being caught.   Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are active in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' around various structure. Muskie action was hot this week.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling.  Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.    
    • gimruis
      I did pretty good bass fishing on Saturday from 8am - 1pm.  It was frigid when we started at 8am but by 10 the sun was fully up and it was more comfortable.  A friend and I caught 7 bass and 5 pike.  I caught the biggest bass I've caught in a month, a 19.5 incher.  The water temp was 58 degrees.  I might try going one more time and then hang it up for the season as long as the water temp stays above 50.  I think turnover has just occurred because the water temp dropped about 10-12 degrees in less than a week.
    • Wanderer
      Yep, western MN and Lake of the Woods diver reports were good from the weekend.  That Arrowhead head area is fickle for ducks and hitting the migration.     We had a fantastic week up there about 8-9 years ago and have been chasing that memory almost every year since.  We just don’t spend as much time doing it anymore.  Still love being there in October and that chase.   We went from a 30 decoy spread in small clusters to a 6 decoy spread set up in a 4/2 grouping.  That’s the one they liked.  No pass shots, wings cupped and feet down or they were left to carry on.   I gave up the fully flocked mallards in exchange for the early season mallards.  I don’t know if that change worked as well as I think it did but like I said, they came to em.  Even the geese.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      One of Minnesota DNR’s largest habitat restoration projects is complete. The three-year, $18 million construction project in the St. Louis River estuary near Duluth has restored 230 acres of coastal wetland habitat at Kingsbury Bay and Grassy Point.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Nearly half a million firearms deer hunters are preparing for the firearms deer season that opens Saturday, Nov. 6, and offers opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family, find adventure outdoors and put venison in the freezer.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      One of Minnesota DNR’s largest habitat restoration projects is complete. The three-year, $18 million construction project in the St. Louis River estuary near Duluth has restored 230 acres of coastal wetland habitat at Kingsbury Bay and Grassy Point.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Nearly half a million firearms deer hunters are preparing for the firearms deer season that opens Saturday, Nov. 6, and offers opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family, find adventure outdoors and put venison in the freezer.Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.