• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CigarGuy
2 hours ago, PSU said:

Curious friends on who has decided to switch from a prior dock service to one of the new one TJ at Shamrock or Sean at Vermilion Dock and Lift. Appears you can save considerable money using the new companies, especially the latter.

Thoughts? Worth the risk of them going out of business and losing the existing dock service? Save money?

Curious what everyone decided

Vermilion Dock was $25.00 higher than what I'm paying now. I guess I thought TJ and Vermilion Dock were one in the same? So, two unrelated outfits? Does TJ do the west end?

BWpineisland

I stayed with the people who have been taking care of mine for several years. It would have saved me about $200 but the new guys have to prove themselves on the lake. I never have had an issue with the old standby and I know they will be here next year. I’m all for good competition. It will only make everyone who survives better. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall fishing this past week.  Walleyes were active with most anglers anchored up and jigging with a minnow.  No surprise walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 9' - 27' of water.  Good reports around the lake.  Structure and current areas holding good numbers of fish. Good walleye reports from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits will catch you a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   A strong run of emerald shiners this past week brought more walleyes into the river.  The river is low, current slow.  Anglers reporting groups of fish from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Try moving hole to hole until you find fish.  Change the angle of your jigging using different weight jigs.  Pull the jig forward against current, let it fall back and bang bottom.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out also effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass again this week.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleyes active this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points, areas with current, and bay mouths where there is bait all good places to start in 8'-24'.  With the many islands, lots of spots to fish.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Crappies in mix, 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Pike are active.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall pattern of a jig bite for walleyes continues on the big lake.  There are various schools of walleyes located across the south shore.  A good place to start is 9-15' or 22-29' adjacent to rivers, creeks and bays.  Anchor up, jig over the side of the boat with a frozen shiner or fathead.  Anglers reporting going through numbers of small walleyes and saugers to catch nicer eaters.  Decent walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers catching nice walleyes in the river, not the big numbers yet.  Current on the river and the river itself is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits to find fish still effective for some.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass this week.
      Jigging with a minnow on structure with a bit of current in 8-24' effective for walleyes.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Some crappies in 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  Water temps in the mid 50's. 
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Same latitude as your turf but at the western end of the state yesterday.  Water temps are around 40 on the big water but the small ponds are freezing or capped already.  Birds are on the move big time including light and dark geese and swans.   Some small ponds that were partially open had a few birds on them that appeared to mostly be hooded mergs.   We had a spoony shoot with a few others mixed in. GWT and BWT (loner), gadwall, and buffleheads.  We saw blue bills and golden eyes but no shots fired on them.  3 man limit.  
    • Coleman
      Anyone been on the Chain or Big Birch within the past 3-4 days?  Just curious what the water temps are hovering around.  
    • billrider80
      Wesco Jobmaster, more here https://bootsgeek.com/wesco-boot-review/. This purely American boot Co, with more than 100 years in the business, has a well-earned reputation for quality and durability.
    • BigVTim
      Yikes! Looks like it would be hard to launch and load with the ice on the ramps.  
    • JerkinLips
      McKinley Park parking lot is plowed regularly but is often quite busy.  Fortune Bay would be another option but I assume the parking lot is for guests (or customers).
    • monstermoose78
      Had fun diver hunting but my partners sucked at shooting worse than me. First flock I let them shoot and I dropped one it was a ringer and Finn chased that suck way out in the lake and around. Ended up with one merganser and my hunting partners never touched a duck.
    • SkunkedAgain
      In years past, Jack and other owners of the Landing used to keep the boat launch plowed next door. The last owners of the Landing didn't do it. I've asked several times while frequenting the Landing this summer/fall, and it sounds like they do not plan to keep the lot open either. Are there any other public launches on the lake that are regularly or semi-regularly plowed for people to park sled trailers?
    • monstermoose78
      Good luck I heard a report today lots of lakes are frozen
    • BobT
      Wow, I posted that information almost a decade ago. Those definition points I posted are not my opinion but if I remember correctly, I believe they came from the Hunting Handbook. As I posted.... • Crossbow hunters may not party hunt with firearms hunters. • Crossbow hunters may party hunt with archery hunters if they possess an archery license with a crossbow disability permit.   I'm not aware of any change in the law since then. 
    • JerkinLips
      Made it out for 4 hours yesterday and all I caught was this 25" walleye and a 22" northern.  Didn't have a bite in 2 hours last night and didn't see the people fishing by me pull up a fish.  Water temp was 37.4°F and there was a lot of green globs floating in the water.  Maybe that was from the water turning over (heaviest at 39.16°F).  I will blame that for the poor fishing rather than my lack of fishing skill (which I know I have).   Hoodoo point landing (2nd photo) had a little shore ice and McKinley Park (3rd photo) was totally clear as was Stuntz Bay.  With low temperatures in the teens the next 3 mornings I would expect ice to start forming along some shores.  Pulled my boat out of the water but could easily put it back in if the lake stays ice-free and I get my buck early.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.