• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Marvin Hecker

Tackle recommendations

Question

Marvin Hecker

Need recommendations: I want to buy my 10-year-old grandson some of the best lures for fishing in Minnesota for his birthday (I live in Texas).
Can someone recommend some great lures and perhaps a good source for them in Minnesota (online or a local store in the Twin Cities? THANKS! 🐟🚣‍♂️🎣 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 answers to this question

ebaker60

I go to Jr's  bait and tackle in Brooklyn Park or Vados tackle in spring lake Park for my equipment. Both places are super helpful. 

Borch

A lot will depend on what he will be fishing for while in MN.  

For multi species its hard to beat a jig and twister tail,(different sizes and colors), small/medium spinnerbait, shallow/deep crankbait like a shad rap or similar bait.  Throw in some hooks, sinkers, bobbers of different sizes.  

Local bait shops may be a bit more expensive but can he very helpful in picking out baits and give you info on the local bite.

• Thumbs Up 2

BobT
12 hours ago, Borch said:

A lot will depend on what he will be fishing for while in MN.  

For multi species its hard to beat a jig and twister tail,(different sizes and colors), small/medium spinnerbait, shallow/deep crankbait like a shad rap or similar bait.  Throw in some hooks, sinkers, bobbers of different sizes.  

Local bait shops may be a bit more expensive but can he very helpful in picking out baits and give you info on the local bite.

I would add that if grandson will be fishing from a boat then consider some Lindy rigs or other similar options for trolling. Crank baits can work well trolling. 

If he would likely be fishing from shore then a few slip sinkers and floating jigs can be useful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis

A lot of our retail stores up here have been almost completely wiped out of lures, line, and other fishing-related tackle this season.  More people are fishing this year (40% more) and stores are having a very difficult time keeping items in stock.  Plus many of these items are made with components from overseas and the supply chain has been disrupted.  I've had to personally order many of my items online lately because the local places I usually go to are out of stock.  Just something to keep in mind.

Austin12345

Try Outlet Bait and Tackle they have real good stuff look at there assortment they have better prices then I see any where they buy bulk discountiuned or over produced baits and can sell them at an amazing price I think everyone should go check it out I just got an order from them and they are great.

mulefarm

Cabin Fever in Victoria 

• Thumbs Up 1