• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

apparently I am a financial casualty of this COVID-19 virus and was told that sept 30th will be my last day at the union hall as a rep. I have a few options but am choosing to retire at 63.

my point is, i'll be able to follow all you guys around this winter ice fishing!!!!!!!??

where is everyone anyway?????? nuttin for anyone???????????

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats and sorry Smurf. You can tag along anytime... Goes for you too Kettle, I'm pretty open with my spots for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even retired... are you still going to have as much time to fish as they do?! ?

Congrats if you’re feeling good about how things are shaking out!  I think I would be. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sorry to hear that it's not how you planned it but still nice to be able to make it work.  Some good ice fisherman out there to hang with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• opsirc
      By opsirc
      Has anyone been out on the local lakes checking ice? Ie: fish, Nichols, grand so forth. 
    • CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Looking at possibly getting a new 8" StrikeMaster electric auger. Everyone has them advertised at 549.00.  Anybody getting a better price or extras thrown in? Reeds has a sale if you spend over $400.00, they give you a $100.00 gift card, can't tell if it applies to augers??
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The few anglers who got out this week on the open water had good success but most have put their boats away and are hunting or looking ahead to the ice fishing season.  
      Ice is starting to form but is not safe yet.  As of the writing of this report, bays such as Four Mile Bay, Zippel Bay and Bostic Bay have varying thicknesses of ice.  Ice guides are monitoring conditions daily and make the call when it is time.
      The first houses out will be spear houses on back bays looking for pike.  Some resorts offer spearing packages on Zippel Bay and Bostic Bay.  
      Please exercise safety and caution as ice thickens.  Our resort and outfitter ice guides are on the ice daily checking thickness, avoiding springs, cracks, shifting ice, unclear and weak ice, etc.  
      In some cases, they are actually flooding the ice to thicken it quicker.  The bottom line, we encourage you not to go off on your own but rather use ice guides and the marked trails they have created.
      Ice has also started to form on the big waters of Big Traverse Bay which is a good sign.  Cold temps, wind and snow can all affect progress.
      Many LOW resorts / outfitters are providing ice reports on their Facebook pages this time of year.  
      On the Rainy River...  The Rainy River is ice covered with pockets of open water.  With the current of the river throughout the year, knowing when, where and where not to travel on the ice is a must.
      Typically, later in December, a snowmobile trail will be staked from Baudette to Wheeler's Point offering travel on the river, Mother Nature dictating of course.  When it opens, stay on the trail for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Angle Inlet and various areas throughout the islands of the NW Angle are ice covered with random areas of open water as ice continues to form.  Things are coming along nicely but are not ready yet.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Must be vaccinated and have a negative PCR COVID Test. Plan ahead with testing or rapid tests are available in Baudette and soon in Warroad.  Once at the Angle, no additional COVID testing is necessary for traveling back south from the Angle through Canada. 
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Snowmobilers can take the groomed and staked trail across the lake.  Charter transport via bombardiers on the ice trail or flights over the lake landing on an ice runway are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air this winter.  

• BobT
      By BobT
      This forum has been pretty quiet lately so I thought I'd start a discussion to see where it takes us. Is it just me or have others had a similar experience this past year? Quite honestly my fishing success this year was not something to write home about. I'm primarily a walleye fisherman and my main mode of attack is a jig and minnow or jig and leech. About two weeks before the MN fishing opener in May, a friend and I did visit Lake Traverse on the SD/MN border and did quite well. That gave me a pretty good feeling going into the open water season but alas it was cut short rather quickly. I struggled to connect with walleyes all summer this year. Was on Vermilion for the opener and we struggled to find enough for a fish fry. Spent the next two weekends on Leech and got the same results. Then we took a trip to Rainy and again we really had to work to put together a fish fry. After that a friend and I went to Winnibigoshish and caught one fish all day, a 23-1/2" walleye but that was it. Couple weeks after that we tried West Battle lake and although we did find a few fish (couple rock bass, small mouth, couple northerns, and a couple sunnies), walleyes were not being cooperative at all. Add to that a few trips to my local Lake Osakis and other area lakes and I really struggled. I did get a couple here and there but they were definitely sparse to say the least. I even tried pulling cranks and Lindy rigs and even tried artificials with virtually no success. 

Anyone else have similar experiences or is it just me? Any thoughts? Was it weather, low water conditions, water temp, other?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The fish are there, the anglers this time of year, not so much.  Some are deer hunting, some have put their boats away and are getting the ice fishing gear ready.  For those who have not winterized their boats, there are plenty of walleyes and saugers to be had.
      Those who hit the water this week were rewarded.  Schools of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and are active.  Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the most common method of fishing.  
      Most anglers report good fishing in 17-27 feet of water.  Gold, pink and glow continue to be hot colors in the stained waters of LOW.  
      Pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon, crappies and eelpout are also being caught by walleye anglers.
      Looking forward to ice fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   A great week of fishing on the Rainy River with good numbers of walleyes.  Most are jigging with emerald shiners.  Gold, glow and pink, gold / orange have been strong colors.
      Sturgeon are still being caught, many by unsuspecting walleye anglers jigging with minnows.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Back harbors and bays are just starting to ice up.  For the few anglers out fishing, the bite continues to be really good.  Most anglers are jigging.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs are doing well.  Anglers fishing the U.S. side are tipping with a fathead or frozen shiner.  Those fishing the Ontario side tipping with various plastics.
      Points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 24 feet depending upon the spot.  
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Must be vaccinated and have a negative PCR COVID Test. Rapid tests available in Baudette and soon in Warroad.    
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via bombardiers via the ice trail and flights over the lake delivering you to your desired resort are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air this winter.  

• NIGHTSTRIKE
      By NIGHTSTRIKE
      Has anyone tried lighted plugs trolling at night ? Like we use for fishing salmon , steelhead and bass the list goes on here on west coast  , can they be used in great lakes area? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Unseasonably warm temps are prolonging anglers' appetites to continue open water fishing and it is paying off.  The late fall bite is very strong!  
      As many anglers are focused on deer hunting, those who hit the water were rewarded.  Schools of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and are active.  Looking ahead, these fish are set up nicely for first ice.  
      Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Live shiners are available and effective.  
      Most anglers report good fishing in 17-27 feet of water.  Gold, pink and glow continue to be hot colors.  
      Mixed in with the walleyes are pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon, crappies and eelpout. 
      Some back bays iced up on cold mornings!
      On the Rainy River...   More and more walleyes are being caught in the river each week.  Mother Nature appears to be a couple of weeks behind this fall.  To no surprise, most are stuffed with emerald shiners.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner has been the go to method, however, those trolling crankbaits also producing.
      Sturgeon activity continues to be good with some big fish caught and released.
      Up at the NW Angle...  For the few anglers out fishing, the bite continues to be really good.  Most anglers are jigging with big numbers of fish are being caught.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs are doing well.  Anglers fishing the U.S. side are tipping with a fathead or frozen shiner.  Those fishing the Ontario side tipping with various plastics.
      Structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet continues to be the range depending upon the spot.  
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Must be vaccinated and have a negative PCR COVID Test. Rapid tests available in Baudette.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake delivering you to your desired resort are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The late fall bite is on!  As the MN deer hunting opener approaches, walleyes are in high gear but most of the focus of many anglers is towards the woods.  Great fishing is there for those late season anglers.  
      Various schools of walleyes and saugers along the south shore are cooperating nicely.  The walleyes and sauger are active and will continue into ice fishing.  
      Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner continues to be the go to method.  Live shiners are available and effective.  
      The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths. 
      Walleye anglers also catching some nice pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies and eelpout. 
      Some back bays showing a thin layer of ice on cold mornings!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes being caught in the river.  Many are full of emerald shiners.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  
      Some groups continue trolling crankbaits in the river through the fall.  It is consistent, covers water, gives a different look than the millions of shiners, good method for scattered fish and produces reaction bites of shiner stuffed fish.  Keep this tool available if you aren't catching.   
      Sturgeon activity continues to be good with some big fish caught and released.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle is good.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic (when boating into Canada) for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes continue to be stacked and big numbers of fish are being caught.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.  
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Must be vaccinated and have a negative PCR COVID Test. Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall walleye fishing again this week.  As the traditional deer hunting opener approaches, walleye fishing is typically in high gear.  This pattern is holding true.  Various spots along the south shore are producing nicely.  The walleyes and sauger are active.  These fish are also setting up nicely for ice fishing which is just around the corner with water temps in the upper 40's.
      Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers are still pulling spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits with good success.  Gold, pink, white and chartreuse hot colors this week.
      The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths. 
      In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers. 
      On the Rainy River...   Nice pockets of walleyes being caught in the river.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.  
      Some groups are trolling crankbaits in the river and because of their consistency, they never switch.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.   
      Sturgeon activity with cooler water is good with numerous fish caught and released.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues strong.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic (when boating into Canada) for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes continue to be stacked and big numbers of fish are being caught.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.  
      Big crappies are being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' adjacent to structure.
      Muskie action continues to be strong.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling. 
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of fall walleye fishing.  Bring lots of bait as the fish are active.  There are lots of small fish in the system that bodes well for the future.  You will catch your eaters and other larger fish, but will usually have to sort through small fish along the way.
      Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Most fish are usually adjacent to the bottom.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers still using spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits.
      In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers. 
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River, consequently, there are walleyes around.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.  
      Trolling crankbaits is an extremely effective technique in the river.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.   
      Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes are stacked and active with big numbers of fish being caught.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Big crappies are active in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' around various structure.
      Muskie action was hot this week.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling. 
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• slipperybob
      Seems like, pretty much nothing significant has changed.  Except for braids, as they have achieved the next level with SK71 standard and with new weaving and other treatments a few years ago.   I use a bunch of variety.  The one with the least temperature change is......ASSO.  Then again they are dedicated ice fishing lines so they do come in small spools only.  Which is a total bummer if thinking about spooling for open water.  The strongest is still Stroft GTM, but it's a little more stiff in comparison to a lot of other softer lines.  These are specialty lines so you won't just run to the store and find them. Braids, the availability of 8 strands in smaller #test that are useful for ice fishing.  But wait, Sufix has just released this year 131 G-core braid.  That's 12 strands plus 1 core braid.  Now I wonder how much performance merits it will have.
    • CigarGuy
      What size is your house? What materials did you use? I'm afraid that I'll have trouble pulling it off the ice late season if I go too big.
    • StateofHockey
      Got here near sunset, drilled 4-5 holes going straight out from shoreline around NW side of Moccasin point found 5" to 4 1/4" solid clear ice. Thicker ice near shore, thinner as I went out about 75 yards.  Didn't venture farther as it was getting dark and lacked proper safety equipment. Ice seemed ok but clear so looked very black.  
    • Austin12345
      Invested in a hard sided rod case and a couple nice combos last week at the ice show I went with the 30 UL snitch from 13 fishing and clam Jason Mitchell 28 L excited to see how the longer UL rod does with a tungsten this winter. Rod case is great has plenty of room for line, tackle, bait puck, and other stuff as well. Also got new auger setup prepped can not wait for ice!
    • monstermoose78
      Little Elk In Zimmerman had a few guys out fishing today. Ice thickness is unknown as I was getting gifts for the wife. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Checked out a handful of lakes today. Forest Lake #2 and #3 are about 95% iced over, with as much as 1 inch of ice. A guy pulled into the launch with his boat 😁 When I drove back later, he wasn’t there. But as I drove to access #2, he had tried launching there, and was currently trying to get get his boat back on his trailer, as he realized it wasn’t going to work.   Goose Lakes was about 99% iced over, but only had about 1/4 inch of ice. Bone Lakes was about 80% covered with skim ice. And the north end of Big Marine was about 90% ice covered with skin ice as well.
    • smurfy
      no sir...no new purchases. my wife gave up on any ice fishing for the most part............so now i have about 2 of everything. she might go if i drove her to the front door of say an ice castle.🙄   slowly getting my ice fishing stuff lined up and ready to go. need to check lines though!!!!!!!!! 
    • Tom Sawyer
      So what has everyone been up to while waiting for the ice to grow? Any new product purchases?  
    • Mike89
      https://hsolist.com/shop/ice-fishing-spears/   here's some spears
    • Mike89
      I paid 250 for mine 15 years ago...  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.