• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cobber

Good morning!

Heading up to Vermilion for the weekend and usually chase Walleye, but my son wants to get some fishing action.

We usually chase panfish together for the excitement and numbers (always fun to watch the bobber go down ūüôā)-

Is there anywhere that a guy can look to find sunnies on Vermilion?? I've never heard of it so I'm worried that may not be an option..

We are on the south side of Big Bay near Pike Bay / Everett Bay road, but can boat to where we would need to!

Thanks!!

-Cobber

Roseypike19
On 6/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, Cobber said:

Good morning!

Heading up to Vermilion for the weekend and usually chase Walleye, but my son wants to get some fishing action.

We usually chase panfish together for the excitement and numbers (always fun to watch the bobber go down ūüôā)-

Is there anywhere that a guy can look to find sunnies on Vermilion?? I've never heard of it so I'm worried that may not be an option..

We are on the south side of Big Bay near Pike Bay / Everett Bay road, but can boat to where we would need to!

Thanks!!

-Cobber

Everetts Bay, Pike Bay, and Stuntz Bay all have sunnies and are a short distance from you.  Find some thicker clumps of weeds or a big band of reeds and have at it.  A small leech under a float might produce bigger fish and don't be surprised if you catch some walleyes as well.  If you don't get hit in minutes then move.  

Greenwood Bay is more north and west from you, but it's my favorite mid-lake sunfish spot. 

Good luck.  

• Thumbs Up 2
SkunkedAgain

Yup, drop a hook&bobber tipped with part of a crawler or leach anywhere next to something that provides shade. Anchor near an unoccupied dock, a patch of weeds, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
cherokeeref

I see you recommending finding weeds and fishing near them for the gills. I believe that is spot on, but my question is if the weeds are coming back on the east end? Seemed pretty decimated by the rusty craws for the last 20 years or so. Also, I usually fish the west end and have had very good luck with bigger and cleaner (fewe parasites and grubs) gills on some isolated deep humps or rock piles. Just my .02!

Roseypike19
2 hours ago, cherokeeref said:

I see you recommending finding weeds and fishing near them for the gills. I believe that is spot on, but my question is if the weeds are coming back on the east end? Seemed pretty decimated by the rusty craws for the last 20 years or so. Also, I usually fish the west end and have had very good luck with bigger and cleaner (fewe parasites and grubs) gills on some isolated deep humps or rock piles. Just my .02!

Good question cherokeeref.  No doubt the vast majority of east end mainlake cabbage beds are gone, but large bays such as Everetts, Greenwood, and Stuntz (and others) still have a good variety of cabbage and milfoil patches as well as other "weeds."   

There are still some "mainlake" cabbage beds out there, and personally I feel as though there are more than say 10 years ago, but this is purely anecdotal evidence based on my experience.  

• Thumbs Up 1
delcecchi

For the last several years...  on the west end the  walleye disappeared off rockpiles but there sure are some nice gills there in mid summer.   

• Thumbs Up 1
SkunkedAgain

cherokeeref - the post by Roseypike19 says it all. I'm on the west end where we have lots of vegetation for pan fish. It's a beautiful lake so it's always worth the boat ride. I would still assume that docks would hold panfish too.

cherokeeref

Del, have you also noticed the meat of the gills being more free of parasites than those caught from the weedbeds?

delcecchi
1 hour ago, cherokeeref said:

Del, have you also noticed the meat of the gills being more free of parasites than those caught from the weedbeds?

I rarely keep a gill, so no haven't noticed that.  I'm too lazy to fillet a bunch of gills but maybe I should see how wife and fam react to scaling them and frying whole.  Or steaming asian style.   Take the wok and bamboo steamers up north since I never use them here anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Decided to go check out one of my shore spots for early spring pan fish. Man was it good timing. Fish were stack in the shallows. Quick limit of crappies and home for dinner. Now on to Bass opener Saturday. Good luck everyone! 

• Cessna195
      By Cessna195
      What baits and lures should I use for crappie in lake Minnetonka 
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      Anybody ever fish this lake? I know it's a bass lake. Back in my high school days a neighbor and classmates mom had a place on there. Used to catch all kinds of sunfish and crappies, albiet small. We fished over by what I believe used to be called peanut hill. Thinking about some day trying it again.
    • Lukach
      By Lukach
      Hi everyone! Just joined this forum, hoping someone here can lend a hand. My wife and I live about a half an hour south of the cities and are looking to get a couple hours up north to a rather secluded public area where we can sit around outdoors and I really want to catch some panfish from shore. Most docks are at public accesses and my wife prefers somewhere less occupied and grassy. I just want to toss a bobber out and hopefully reel something in. I’d rent a boat but apparently that’s not an option during this whole Coronavirus thing we got going on. If you have any ideas for me let me know! Thank you for taking time to read :)
    • smalliehunter
      By smalliehunter
      I've never chased panfish during the open water season.  I caught my first bluegill this winter, and have developed quite the crush on them.  What's your go to rod, length and action?  Plastics or bait?  Line type and lb?  Do you use a bobber?  Should I use same jigs as winter or plain hook? 
    • dutchboy II
      By dutchboy II
      With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• MarkB
      We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake and we fished from Daisy Bay to Armstrong Bay with many stops in between. The fishing party included myself, my cousin, and a very dear friend. We bought pike suckers and nitecrawlers for bait. We used jig/minnow, bottom bouncer/colored hook and beads, and lindy rigs. We fished water from 15' to 30' and targeted rock reefs and holes. The water temperature varied between 57 and 59 degrees depending on the time of day. During our stay, we caught one fish on a minnow and 80+ on a half crawler. In addition, we caught several jumbos that were incidental to fishing for the walleyes. We found that a bottom bouncer, 4'-5' leader, 2-fluorescent light green beads, and red hook worked best. We found fish at most of the places we stopped at and 20'-26' was the optimum depth. The fish bit lightly and most of the time a hit was indicated by a bump followed by a slight drag on the line. We missed lots of fish by setting the hook fairly quickly after the initial bump in an attempt to avoid gut hooked fish. We found the fish scattered with the larger concentrations on mud bottom. Probably 1/2 of our fish were the 10''-13" up and comers while the rest included lots of 14"-17" eaters and several slot fish from 20"-22" and one 28". We had two fish fries and enjoyed every minute. We reserved the same time slot for next year. I think we hit the fall colors at it's peak and it was spectacular to say the least.¬† ¬†Good FishingūüėÄ ¬† ¬† ¬†MarkB ¬† This was the largest walleye that we caught during our stay........
    • Dash 1
      For me it’s been slow. Last Wednesday got 2 small northern and a nice bass for 5 hours fishing. Was using shiners mainly. Very little boat traffic and access has been mostly empty as well when I drive by.
    • bowkill78
      This is the quietest forum on the planet.  I'm going back to Clearwater for one last trip.  How has the fall fishing been?
    • muskie-mike
      Beats my banana sized walleyes on leadcore...  
    • ozzie
      Hit up the lake Friday afternoon running around we did not get anything but one 22" eye pulling a lindy with a worm.  We then pulled out of the lake and Saturday went to Winnie.  Stayed dry up there but the fishing success eluded our boats.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall jig bite for walleyes is in full swing.  There are various schools located across the south shore.  Anglers catching good numbers of walleyes just outside the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters Lake of the Woods, in front of Zippel Bay and around Long Point.  Depths of 22-28', anchored up and jigging with a fathead or frozen shiners has been successful.  Anglers going through a lot of fish, sorting through lots of smalls to ultimately get nice eaters.  A lot of action.  Some anglers still drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler with success.  Some good walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'. On the Rainy River...   Intermittent runs of emerald shiners have entered the river as have some walleyes.  Mixed reports by anglers, as the big run hasn't happened yet.  Typically activity increases as water cools.  Current on the river is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses are still effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with a sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and shiners.  Pike showing hanging on weed edges. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   The foliage is beautiful and the walleye fishing is good.  Jigging with a minnow on structure in 10 - 15' and 21 - 27' effective.  Gold, orange and glow colors great choices.  Water temps in the low 60's.  A nice mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, pike and smallmouth.  Muskie anglers reporting nice fish as well. 
    • Muskyhunter73
      I forgot to add all our fish were on a lindy rig with a medium sized rainbow
    • Wishin4Walleyes
      Thanks for the posts all. I've been monitoring this forum for a bit and it had gotten quiet so made me worried the fall bite was off to a slow start.   Glad to hear jig and minnow bite is going as that's by far the most fun way to get em!
    • Rick
      Minnesota joins other states in sampling deer near known PFAS contamination sites Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
√ó
√ó

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.