• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Humminbird Helix 7 Issue

IT Guy

Question

To the other Helix users.  I have a Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2 that I am having down imaging issues with.  I am sure it is a user error.  I have a lot of clutter on the screen.  Basically a horizontal line of clutter at every foot and the detail level is terrible.  I understand it is not a Mega unit but this lack of detail and clutter is not helpful at all.  I am on the newest software (2.000) and was having the same problem before updating the software.  I can switch to a regular sonar view and see fish and switch back to DI and do not see anything.  The only way to get that horizontal clutter to disappear is to take the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 and then I can't see anything anyway.  It is not networked, nothing else in use and transducer is off the back of the boat.

Do I need to make some other adjustment or selections besides sensitivity, contrast, etc.?  I have tried just about everything but am not having a great deal of luck and have gone back to default setting.  Pics attached from last weekend from a very clear lake with about 6 feet of clear visibility.

Thank you for the help!

HB 1.jpg

HB 2.jpg

6 answers to this question

LoonASea

Lots of good tutorals  on YouTube ,,, Or call Humminbird tech support 

LoonASea - Thanks, I have been looking at the tutorials but I can't figure this out.  I also spent 1.5 hours on hold yesterday with HB without ever getting through.

I did speak with HB tech support awhile ago and their advice was to go back to default setting which it did.

Edited by IT Guy
rundrave

can you provide some screen shots or more info of your menu options and how you have everything set up at the time you took that pic?

Sorry - Not close to it right now.  Everything is factory default at this point except some color selection, depth highlights, low battery alarm and SI distance to 70 ft.  I was wondering if I should change the transducer setting or kHz setting but that does not seem right.

Edited by IT Guy
Grainbelt

It seems like something isn't right with the transducer from the picture. Does side image work correctly? If you were to wiggle the transducer cable in on the back of the unit, does it affect the down image output on the screen? 

I finally got through to HB support and they are sending a new transducer.  We will see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1
      New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️

• opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have noticed that East of Adrian's rd after crossing pine Island a mile or so is a second road that runs closer to the border. Anyone know who it belongs to, there seems to be a great deal of traffic on it and I have looked to see if it comes off Adrian's but can't find how to access it. Does sportmans have one out that way?
    • whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      My buddy was on a dusk / night crappie bite so I joined him for a couple days of fun.  He has been getting increasingly good with a smoker and said he has caught a few whitefish in past years and would love to catch a few for the smoker.  Ironically, on the second day I saw a fish on the Markum a few feet under the ice and I recognized this from other catches as a potential white fish.  I brought it up an nabbed a nice one.  This got me thinking.  Anyone know why white fish cruise so close to the top of the ice?  Do minnows also cruise up high or is this a plankton thing?  Or both?  The crappies were either at 10' or on the bottom at 20'.  We did catch one crappie also at 5' but in two nights of fishing that was the only two fish marking that high.
    • black otter
      By black otter
      Maybe a dumb ? 
      Just got a used tandem axle ice castle. When lowering...which axle pin should be removed first? The one closest to front of fish house, or the one closest to the crank? Or does it not matter? 
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      What’s your rod box. I grabbed a Flambeau today to upgrade since a good buddy made me a 36 inch ice rod. I added foam to the bottom and took out the dividers and it looks like it will work dandy. Got them all in and some boxes for different plastics.  Won’t know till it warms up!  All snug when I close it up. 

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I have boxes of 40 cal HST rounds 50 per box and I am trying to figure out what I should charge from them?
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      Well, hope the title made you look😁. Getting real sick of the frozen tundra feel that has engulfed our neck of the woods the last week.  This kinda weather ain't much fun to be outside for more than a few min at a time... Starting to go a little crazy sitting around instead of being on the ice😒 Anybody making it out? 
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      There are a few organizations out there that offer a lot of fun outdoor fish and hunt trips at no or close to no cost. I have been on a few so thought I would share. Not all are for LEO.   Info on trips is always on FB.  2020 was not as busy but its starting to pick up again. Fishing with Vets.  Hometown Hero Outdoors Community.  Take a Vet Fishing. Time on the Water. We Got Your Six Outdoor Adventures. A lot of great people doing this and have met some really nice people. 
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      Another proposal to ban certain items of lead in fishing tackle has been introduced.  I think this came to a bubble in 2018 when they tried to do it plus banning lead ammo on public lands.  The current proposal does not include ammo (as far as I can tell) and only applies to jigs and sinkers less than 2.5 inches in length.  In 2018 it did not pass.  If passed, it would take effect July 1, 2025.
    • ozzie
      By ozzie
      So now that there are many options out there, what are people thinking on the new electric augers?  I have been impressed with the drill attached augers that I have used this year and also the Strikemaster 40v electric auger.  For next year I will certainly be investing into one of these options as they are so powerful, quiet, and dont use gas!!!  I now have used a kdrill and Strikemaster drill attachments and both are nice but the strikemaster rips throught the ice faster than the kdrill IMO.  I love how I don't need to worry about gas spilling onto by ice suit and don't need to worry where the exhaust is!!  The one thing I found using a drill is they are very powerful and that you do not want to stop mid hole and try to restart as you may end up with a broken arm the way the thing grips!!!! (Lucky I didn't break my arm!)  It appears Millwaukee and Dewalt are the most common Drills I have seen used for the auger attachments.  I am leaning towards a drill attachment combo rather than one of the electric models as I just don't see the reason why I would go that route and have an auger that can only be used for an auger where the drill set up I still have a powerful drill to use on projects around the house.

What are some pro's and con's you all have come up with since using the electric augers and or the drill attachments augers opposed to a gas auger?

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      That was it. We discussed on ice today if smurfy was a human or a bot. Bot won  
    • Wanderer
      I think he cancelled because you bailed! 😄
    • Wanderer
      That’s even looser than it was before.  It was always an issue with tournaments and when I fished some of the out of state events you couldn’t cull at all and had to quit fishing once you boxed your limit.  MN tourney limits were always 1 under the state limit to comply.
    • smurfy
      So technically speaking then I'm not bailing, right!!!🤪🤭😉
    • eyeguy 54
      👍🏻
    • Wanderer
      Tournament exception only - from working live wells.     Been that way for years so if it’s different now it’s been a recent change.  
    • eyeguy 54
      You can’t cull from box or bucket? My bucket is full of water and have culled on ice a few times. But only if lively fish
    • Wanderer
      Not supposed to do that...  We don’t take it as serious in MN as other states but once it’s in the box, bucket, shore or on the stringer, you own it.
    • eyeguy 54
      Good idea captain Ricky 
    • Rick G
      I really hate to do this, but after seeing what the access points around the Richmond area looked like when I left the lake today. I am going to cancel this year's cool cats. I do not feel the access on Horseshoe with Hold up to vehicle traffic though the week. The main lake ice will almost certainly be good for a while yet.  But, the access  will not be useable after another day or two of traffic.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.