• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I live in the keewaydin 55417 area and the family craves fishing, a lot of the lakes around the area are a bit high pressured it seems as we've been out as far as Lake Elmo, Clear Lake, Vadnais and Lake Peltier but to no avail ( 2-3 hours of fishing with only 1 catch on some days ) on sport fishes. Is there a creek/river/backwater that's accessable for shoreline fishing that's got good fights? I'm down for kayaking too since we have a Jackson Tuna and a F&S Shadowcaster but we don't have an anchor so river kayaking is a no go ( I'm a fairly large lazy dude ) for me.

Our next target area would be Cannon River south 30 minutes of us.

Happy Fishes everyone

- Charlie

Austin12345

Hey Charlie I am from the Northen Metro fishing around here for me is about two thing finding spots that your normal weekend warrior would not think to fish at or finding those so called ¨community holes¨ that are very pressured and using diffrent techniques and showing the fish diffrent stuff than they are used to seeing here are some of my favorite spots around here Centerville lake is doing good right now for bass and pike Bald Eagle is my main home lake the docks along the north side are great spots for summer froging flipping or any other technique you want to use a slip boober with a worm will catch plenty to along with some big pumpkinseed that are in there there are 3-4 places you can lanuch a kayak from you will see them if you drive down the road on the west side of the lake the reeds and grass on the north end are great to but a bit tricky to launch a kayak from if you want less pressured fishing try comfort lake by lindstom sqaure lake and big marine are great to finally a great spot for some kayak fishing is the St Croix if you can get someone to drop you off you can float down the river the whole day and get someone to pick you back up I am not a very avid kayak fisherman but you can message pepole like JB Master Angler who fishes the St Croix a good amount I am pretty sure Rick G and Eyeguy 54 are both Avid Kayak fisherman I am sure they would recommed some good spots for you as well 

Good Luck -Austin

• Thanks 1

If I have where you are right then lake Nokomis is near you. There’s lots of good walleye and crappie in there. If not I might suggest Medicine lake. There’s a handful of shore areas to fish and some easy to access kayakable areas. Lots of northerns and panfish in that lake. Look for weed edges and either cast spoons, spinnerbaits, etc for pike or bobber and work for panfish. Also some bonus walleye in there from time to time. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Well_Read_Redneck

I'll second the suggestion for Nokomis.

A coworker was showing me pictures of some monster muskies he caught off the fishing pier.

• Thanks 1
gimruis

I'll second a river.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a big one like the St Croix either.  A smaller one where most boats/watercrafts can't get to can be fantastic.  Quite often, a river bite is going to be good on days when the lake bite is poor too.  Lake fishing will significantly slow down in the heat of summer and river fishing will not.  I have a bass boat and I use my jon boat more sometimes in July/August on small rivers for smallmouth because its just that much better.  And rarely do I see other anglers.  In fact, I am confident that the brown bass I target only see lures from me all season long.  A kayak, canoe, jon boat, or other small watercraft is ideal for these.  Just keep an eye on the water levels and don't go right after a torrential rain.

7-24-19 b.jpg

Bit of a drive for you but the rum river central park is a nice spot where you can float for a few hours and still end up within a 5 min walk of your vehicle since the river twists and turns so much there 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      The Timberjay recently had a typical article about the Hatchery in operation in Pike Bay. It reminded me that they did not strip eggs last year due to Covid, and there was some discussion about how this would affect the lake's walleye population. I did a little digging last night into the annual growth of walleye in Vermilion and found that it takes somewhere in the 3-4 year range to reach eater-size range. That means that the "covid experiment" won't be real noticeable until the end of this season when walleye start reaching double-digits in length but most likely 2022 when those walleye are in the 10-14 inch range.

From the Lake Vermilion Fisheries Management Plan (https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fisheries/special_reports/183.pdf
      Besides abundance, differences between walleye captured in East and West Vermilion are most evident in age and size structure. Overall, walleye in West Vermilion tend to grow faster and live longer than walleye in the east basin. For example, by age-5, walleye captured in East Vermilion average about 16 inches compared to 18 inches in West Vermilion. Walleye on Lake Vermilion can survive to age-8 or older, however older walleye (age-7+) tend to be more abundant in West Vermilion.

I figure that Lake of the Woods is similar in latitude to Vermilion, so probably similar growth rates.

From the Lake Of The Woods section of the DNR website: (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/low_walleye.html#:~:text=Generally%2C walleye in Lake of,male walleye are sexually mature.
      Generally, walleye in Lake of the Woods reach 12 inches long when they are three years old. Male walleye start to mature when they are 12 inches long, 3 years old, but it is not until they are 16 inches long, 5 years old, that all male walleye are sexually mature. Male walleye longer than 24 inches are extremely rare.

Female walleye grow faster than male walleye, after they are three years old. Female walleye start to mature when they are 4 years old, 15 inches long, but all of them are not sexually mature until they are 7 years old, 20 inches long. Generally, female walleye which are 25 inches long are about 10 years old, and 30 inch females are in the range of 20 years old. The oldest Lake of the Woods walleye we have aged was a 23 year old female which was 30.3 inches long.
    • walleye345
      By walleye345
      Hello I am looking for a weight system to help me catch more fish.  I am torn between Snakebite Snaps and Offshore Snap Weights.  They are 2 very different clips. Anyone know anything about either?  Was looking to grab some here soon.  

• tbetts1000
      By tbetts1000
      What is the best chip option for Vermilion. I am getting a new Lowrance HDS and need some guidance.
    • walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Fished Lake of the Woods yesterday during this tropical heat wave.. I'll tell you what, if you're planning on fishing in these temps, bring backup gear for your essentials (Heat, Auger, etc). Doing this was key for us yesterday when the buddy heater hose was acting up due to the cold. We had a fun day! Check out the video below:

• whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      Just wondering when jigging for eyes in the winter, why is the standard to tip a jig with a minnow head and not the whole minnow or the minnow tail?  Would seem like a more natural presentation to tip with the tail and not the head.  Anyone experimented with this?
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      There is a proposal to angling in the form of catch and release for bass year round in the works.  This would be in addition to the current regulations that allow the limited harvest of both smb and lmb from late May until the season closes.  I know that Michigan and Wisconsin both allow the specific targeting of bass for catch and release purposes before their traditional opening date.  Michigan has done it for years, and Wisconsin just started it last year.

I'm not real positive that this will pass, as I think MN is about a decade behind Wisconsin when it comes to these kinds of changes.
    • Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Can't seem to ever get a sled ride together anymore on the other side of the wall.
      Any guys with a sled and porty want to get together for a meetup and fish somewhere some weekend for the day or weekend if way up north?
      Crappies-Walleyes both? 
      Mill Lacs, Brainerd area................?   The more the merrier, safety in numbers helps if someone needs a pull or getting out of slush.
      Not a big plan. Meet at a lake. Stare at the lake map, mark a spot or spots on the gps and head out.
      Not really worried about a cookout, but we could just cuts into fishing time.  Bring our own lunch, bait and pop or? 
      Don't want to count out wheelers with portys but hope you can hang if its deep or slushy. 😕

Oh forget the Public service announcement: Portys must be fished at least 6' feet apart or more!. Wearing a mask is a good idea on a cold sled ride. No talking about Trump, Biden or God will also keep us safe from each other! 😆

So again, no big complicated plan. Meet up, check map, go fishing! 👍

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.