• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1875 Pro Guide Transducer Placement - Need to read bottom and mark fish while on plane

Hookmaster

Question

New 2020 1875 Pro Guide. Helix 12 Mega SI graph. Can't read bottom when up on plane. I was going to adjust the transducer and this is what I found. Isn't the first rule in transducer placement to put it where there is "clean", undisturbed water flow?? It is below the bottom of the boat, maybe too far. It's a side imaging transducer so I feel the riggers wanted it close to the center of the boat. Where have others placed a side imaging transducer and have it read bottom when up on plane? I don't think you can move it closer to the center line. If you move it to the left of it's current position, the is the power strake in the front 1/3 of the boat. Any help is appreciated!!

stern view.JPG

stern view low.JPG

Edited by Hookmaster
add more info

12 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I would try moving it about 1-3 inches to the left.  It's sitting right behind a row of rivets which would cause turbulence and issues with readings.  You might also be picking up prop turbulence in that location that close to the centerline and on that side.  Seems the side imaging transducers are more sensitive for placement due to the issues your having and blocking the signal one side or the other.   The other side of the outboard could be a better option unless you have something else mounted there to help with prop turbulence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree you need to move it left to get away from the line of rivets. Then it's a matter of adjusting vertically and tilting it front to back/ up or down. The newer monster size SI ducers can be tough to get positioned right. That's why lots of guys run a second 2d ducer with a splitter cable which automatically switches in when the 2d signal from the SI ducer is lost. My boat is a Alumacraft Classic 165 tiller 50hp, top speed 29 mph. I was able to get position tweaked on it so I have SI, DI and 2d on plane, but it took a lot of adjusting. I resorted to mounting  a camera on a mini tripod and holding it over the transom to video the ducer underway. That helped, but still a PITA. Good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I forgot about the speed issues with these transducers.   I also have a high speed dual frequency transducer mounted.  I run it as my primary and do a split screen when I want to see the side imaging.  Generally the side imaging works best under 6 mph with 2-3 mph being optimal.

I would agree with the above answers, that the line of rivets are creating dirty water for you.  I would move to the left as well. 

Also, I would guess you may need to lower the transducer some as well.  Get the transducer as low as you can without it making a large roostertail at speed.  If you have a good square or quality straight edge at home, place vertically along bottom of the hull, extending out from the stern.  The top of the straight edge should cover at least the bottom 2/3s of the transducer on the inside (motor side), maybe more if the pitch of the hull is greater.  Transducer should also have a slight downwards angle from transom.

2 more things, make sure the transducer is level(left to right) with a small level. Compare the level of the boat to the level of the transducer.  Boats don't always sit level on a trailer obviously.

One thing to remember with side imaging is you beam going out towards the motor is often interfered with the outboard itself.  As you trim up the motor, that side will become clearer.

Edited by ANYFISH2

When I bought it, I used a gimbowl coupon code It can be challenging to properly position the more recent monster size SI ducers. Because of this, many guys use a splitter connection to connect a second 2d ducer, which automatically switches in when the SI ducer's 2d signal is lost. 360° rotational coverage, 104 degrees of field of view, and a 42 degree maximum rotation speed per second are all included.

Need to read bottom and mark fish while on plane

Marking fish while on plane? Is this even practical? At that speed, my guess is you'd go over it so fast a fish might show up as a dot on the screen. I've never thought that would be possible. Am I wrong? 

Edited by BobT

Getting optimal performance from your marine transducer depends on its optimal placement on your boat. This document provides assistance when selecting the optimal mounting location for Garmin® transom-mount, thru-hull, and in-hull transducers.... Nadra Card Renewal UK

Edited by davidthomas400
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last year, I ended up moving the transducer to the left to get in between the two lines of rivets. Took two times to adjust the level. Can read bottom and fish at 30 mph.

My first suggestion for mounting your transducer is using a bracket welded on to your boat (or metal plate, stern saver or butchers board affixed for fiberglass boat). This avoids screwing directly into your boat and hence, allows you to move it slightly. Visit official website TechRepublish media group.

Hey Jonny Claire, you might want to take a look at the first picture above. Note, the plastic board the transducer is mounted to?🤣

• Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, Hookmaster said:

Hey Jonny Claire, you might want to take a look at the first picture above. Note, the plastic board the transducer is mounted to?🤣

He's a Trolling expert, not a Transducer Placement expert!  🤭

• Yayyyy 2