• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Bonez

I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

monstermoose78

The area is so huge. I like devilfish, Tom, crescent, lots of trout lakes and splake are my favorite to eat. Brule lake has been good to me over the years. Triangle can be awesome and tofte is close and is a good trout lake. Fall lake with dam is hard to beat for eyes year round. Don’t for smallies for fun and to eat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Squirrelhawke

i second triangle

went there with the kids a few years back and we caught quite a few walleye with nothing more than a jig with a Mr twister on it

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• HunterFisher11
      By HunterFisher11
      So looking at some property on long lake right by Ottertail lake and wondering how the fishing is on it and the depths on it? Thanks for any information!!!!
    • Duckhunter1941
      By Duckhunter1941
      I was wondering if anyone has ever fished walnut or south walnut lake/ the blue earth river area? I see the dnr stocks walleye about every other year but I never hear of anyone fishing it 
    • DavidA
      By DavidA
      I’ll be on Birch Lake - Ely - in late July. Anyone familiar with good spots? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lots of limits of nice walleyes this week with plenty of larger slot fish (19.5" - 28") and trophy walleyes (over 28").  Schools of fish all around the lake.  From the Lighthouse and Morris Point Gap area which is adjacent to Pine Island to Zippel Bay to reefs and mud near Long Point and Rocky Point all producing.  Garden Island area also holds nice schools of walleyes.  The go to presentation is pulling spinners with crawlers or leeches at 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Some anglers are doing well trolling crankbaits as well on lead core line or downriggers.  Nice schools of walleyes also staged over deep mud.  Some fish are shallow, 7- 15', other fish holding in 23 - 31'.  Hammered gold, gold/glow, pink, and orange hot colors this week.      
      On the Rainy River...   Sturgeon anglers catching some good fish as the season opened on July 1st.  Fishing holes in the river with a 3 ounce no roll sinker and sturgeon rig loaded with crawlers and/or frozen shiners.   Nice smallies in rocky areas.  Pike are also active cruising weedy bays, bay mouths and current breaks.  Walleyes hanging out on flats and can be caught with crawler harnesses or trolling crankbaits.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent fishing for walleyes, pike and bass continue.  Schools of walleyes on structure, over sand and on mud.  Nice walleyes 8 - 17' on the sand or 25 - 28' around structure.  The best presentation is drifting and trolling spinners with crawlers or a minnow.  Pike and smallmouth bass active in weedy bays.  Bucktails for pike retrieved slow working well.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      7.6.20 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Minnesota Lake of the Woods Walleye action continues in less than 10’ casting Rapala’s, floating leeches or pulling crawlers in rocks and sand bays. Walleye are also showing back up on classic structure including points and main lake reefs. Trolling deep diving Rapala’s has been producing very large pike and slot walleye in 12 to 18 ft. of water.

Lake of the Woods Musky opener was successful in shallow, weeded areas. With one over 50” boated and the rare 49.5” as well as many mid 40” fish.

With water temps increasing into the high 70’s this week, Rock areas are heating up. Smaller bass sized baits and blades have been favored by these toothy critters. Current musky anglers are seeing up to 10 fish a day!

• Little Blueberry
      By Little Blueberry
      any current musky info?  Looking for new water since can’t get to LOW.
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • tacklejunkie
      By tacklejunkie
      I haven't seen any reports locally this year. The other forums all have updated reports. 
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got out on Fathers day with the Kayak down the Mississippi River for some good ole Smallmouth Bass action. River was low which made a great float and the smallies were hungry! They just couldn't resist the wacky worm once again. We have such an amazing fishery here in MN, glad to call this state home.  Enjoy. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• HunterFisher11
      So looking at some property on long lake right by Ottertail lake and wondering how the fishing is on it and the depths on it? Thanks for any information!!!!
    • scottschiller
      still for sale?  
    • Raven77
      What moose said.  Tore up my lower unit there several years ago up toward the Kiwishiwi.  
    • Fish Head
      Mark B!!!  Great to hear one of your reports again. I sure miss them.  Take care and I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip in Sept. 
    • Toshjhao
      I know it’s a little ways out but will be my first time going to lake vermilion August 7-10 out of Norwegian bay. Just wondering how the bass fishing is and will be around that time if anyone knows 
    • Duckhunter1941
      Thanks for the information! Are you talking about south walnut by the dam and just north of there where the other river meets the lake? I’d assume it’s more of a spring spot when the waters a little higher and the walleyes are running? 
    • Rick
      It's a shallow lake with a channel that runs through it. You will be better off with a canoe or kayak to fish it.   The walleyes tend to congregate where the channel runs close to shore. You can also fish the holes in the blue earth river for them. A few flatties hang there too.
    • monstermoose78
      Watch for rocks. Where there is current. 
    • Wanderer
      Whatya got?  If it’s for free it’s for me. 😁
    • Duckhunter1941
      I was wondering if anyone has ever fished walnut or south walnut lake/ the blue earth river area? I see the dnr stocks walleye about every other year but I never hear of anyone fishing it 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.