• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy lake fishing 2020

muskies - thanks - I think we are gonna stay in either lost bay or the brule - depending on where there are spots available when we get up there.  Any mainstays up there you can clue me in on as far as reefs go?  I see a few on the charts that meet the criteria but don't know if they are worthwhile and many are not named on the chart I was looking at.

If its closely guarded secret I understand.  Just trying to learn about a different style of fishing since the bays probably wont produce anything worthwhile by the time we get there.

2 hours ago, back bay said:

muskies - thanks - I think we are gonna stay in either lost bay or the brule - depending on where there are spots available when we get up there.  Any mainstays up there you can clue me in on as far as reefs go?  I see a few on the charts that meet the criteria but don't know if they are worthwhile and many are not named on the chart I was looking at.

If its closely guarded secret I understand.  Just trying to learn about a different style of fishing since the bays probably wont produce anything worthwhile by the time we get there.

Good evening back bay 

You can still catch fish shallow water but I just have had better luck fishing the reefs for a multitude of species at that time of year...Here are some general areas.... I’ve had better luck going east through brûlé narrows and fishing out in front of three sisters and shelland islands but the reefs straight north of lost bay up to the Ontario border have had their days. Again, all depends on the day. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Edited by Muskies
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Muskies said:

I think we are gonna stay in either lost bay or the brule - depending on where there are spots available when we get up there.

That will work for houseboating, but if you're camping you need a reservation. Can't just camp anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

One more question about communication and weather alerts on eastern Rainy Lake.

We could occasionally get  an AT&T signal, especially after we had signed up for the Canadian signal.  We were about 16 miles east of the visitor center, and at the Kemp Channel entrance.  The signal strength kinda depended on weather conditions and time of day.

I am looking at the possibility of getting a weather alert radio.  It states:  Public Alert Certified Weather Radio, Receives all 7 NOAA Weather Channel and Reports.  It is also an AM/FM radio.  Does this actually work in the mid-lake area, or would you recommend something different?

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, ManBearPig said:

One more question about communication and weather alerts on eastern Rainy Lake.

We could occasionally get  an AT&T signal, especially after we had signed up for the Canadian signal.  We were about 16 miles east of the visitor center, and at the Kemp Channel entrance.  The signal strength kinda depended on weather conditions and time of day.

I am looking at the possibility of getting a weather alert radio.  It states:  Public Alert Certified Weather Radio, Receives all 7 NOAA Weather Channel and Reports.  It is also an AM/FM radio.  Does this actually work in the mid-lake area, or would you recommend something different?

Before cell phones a lot of people out on the lake had marine radios which also had a channel dedicated to the local weather.

A FM radio should be able to pick up the local radio stations(104.1 from int’l falls or 93.1 Fort Frances) for weather updates usually at the top of the hour. You should also be able to pick up the weather station located at the int’l falls airport which is always broadcasting the NOAA weather forecast. 

As for cell phone signals they are relatively good but still a lot of dead spots on the lake( I fish a spot 2 miles north of island view resort on the Ontario side with no signal). Hopefully with this helps you!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

We bring a weather and an FM radio. Cell phone coverage is sporadic, but you can find a signal almost anywhere (but usually it originates from Canada).

Bad weather can come in a hurry, so it is nice to be able to know what is coming in advance.

• Thanks 1

Muskies- 

Any advice on a good place to stay on Rainy? Was supposed to stay on Canadian side this week and obviously didn’t go. So now I am trying to put together a quick trip with my Dad on MN side maybe later this month instead...

We're heading to the East side of Rainy, boat camping next week. Just curious if the walleyes are on the reefs and what baits are being used?

Any updates would be appreciated.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, Poutwhacker said:

We're heading to the East side of Rainy, boat camping next week. Just curious if the walleyes are on the reefs and what baits are being used?

Any updates would be appreciated.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:39 PM, Trump 2020 said:

Muskies- 

Any advice on a good place to stay on Rainy? Was supposed to stay on Canadian side this week and obviously didn’t go. So now I am trying to put together a quick trip with my Dad on MN side maybe later this month instead...

Sorry hit the wrong button....

For a place to stay on the Minnesota side of rainy your options are, Thunderbird lodge, Island View lodge or Sha Sha resort. All are 10 -12 miles east of Int’l Falls on Hwy 11. Another option is the new hotel in Rainer which is 3 mile east... I believe it’s called the Cantilever Hotel. Each has positives depending on what you’re looking for...

As for fishing...the walleyes are starting to transition to deep water. I went out for an hour Saturday evening and caught 2...the largest being 25”( in the picture) My wife and I were out from noon to 5 on Sunday (yesterday). We were fishing jig and minnows. Caught 18 walleys; 5 in the slot 14-16”, 1-18 1/2” all the rest 13” or smaller. Did a lot of running around to find active fish. Caught fish in 20’ and saw a lot of mayfly caucuses floating in the water still and a lot of minnows. Water surface temperature was 78 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s only going to get better...

592F579D-E5E9-418A-A7BE-183281AC9878.jpeg

E23FC0A9-9F6C-4BAD-8B31-CFF519E346E9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Excellent report Muskies!  Thank you!  Also really appreciate the pictures that you include in your posts.  We are looking forward to being on the lake boat camping in 16 days.

• Thanks 1

Out on Friday. Walleye fishing for from 10 - 11:30 am, caught 4 -16-17” (supper)and one 25” fishing reefs on north arm. Beautiful morning to be out...sorry forgot my phone after grabbing depth finder. Jigs and minnows with water temperature down to 72 degrees. My son and I then when out from 4-6 pm bass fishing...here’s a few pictures. Caught 10 total using inline spinner baits, again on north arm of rainy.

C0AB5BCE-8F97-4EC3-A20C-2E65AEC3B9D4.jpeg

AB5C3C53-3150-4691-B3AD-0086D91D0F1E.png

CE476EC7-B2FF-4AAB-B5FD-D85395395A66.jpeg

547C9468-2DE8-49D3-8AB3-A612FBB70B1B.jpeg

D768904F-ADB7-404F-9D7C-DAE6B4D550B9.jpeg

24E1550F-AB32-4AEC-8644-E194517C12FE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

My wife and I went out late Saturday morning for 2 hours before it was too hot. Found a few, 6 in total but were finicky. Fishing in 23’, north arm of rainy with the biggest at 20”, surface water temperature is at 73 degrees.

EBF8EEC1-94C0-456C-B879-D5EFBB63BACC.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

Will be staying on Rainy Lake  August 1st until I have to leave. Our first trip, as we usually go farther north but...........  Guessing deep and slow will work for most everything about then. Are there good perch to be had there ?  Most people don't spend open water for them, or talk about them.  So looking for some heat relief from here in the south. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice pictures Muskies. I brought my boat home and we will be packing it up for our annual trip to Rainy. Of course we will be on the US side. Long story short, we really need the vacation this year. Sure will be nice getting out on my favorite lake. 

I really appreciate these updates.

Bill

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Mtnman,

all the reefs will have fish on them in August. Each year is different so I can’t give you any depths. Always good to have minnows, leeches and crawlers on hand. I’ve had some luck catching perch in Sand bay but never focus on them...walleyes are usually biting...lol. Hope you enjoy your time on Rainy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a little humour for a Tuesday... my son and I went out Monday evening. The first one was the same size as the #2 mepps it hit...getting all three of the treble hooks caught in its mouth...not all of them are big but maybe in a few years! Lol The other was your average 2 lb...

In two hours we boated 18 bass using mepps spinners.

7F24A58A-3641-412B-BBC2-33B994759747.jpeg

8A8A97BD-81DC-493D-BA5F-D2BFAF48530C.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

23 hours ago, bfisherman11 said:

Nice pictures Muskies. I brought my boat home and we will be packing it up for our annual trip to Rainy. Of course we will be on the US side. Long story short, we really need the vacation this year. Sure will be nice getting out on my favorite lake. 

I really appreciate these updates.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Will continue as the summer progresses...

Hope you enjoy your trip and I think we all need a break after the year we have had...rip some lips!
Vince

• Thumbs Up 1

Vince, Sometimes those small ones think they are the biggest fish around. Sent you a PM by the way.

I got the boat all packed yesterday. I was hoping it would take longer so I didn't sit home nights after work thinking about the trip. Ha.

Bill

• Yayyyy 2

On 7/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, Muskies said:

Hello Mtnman,

all the reefs will have fish on them in August. Each year is different so I can’t give you any depths. Always good to have minnows, leeches and crawlers on hand. I’ve had some luck catching perch in Sand bay but never focus on them...walleyes are usually biting...lol. Hope you enjoy your time on Rainy!

Date should have been August 31,  so looking forward to getting out of this heat !!  We're pretty proficient with artificial, but sometimes the perch are picky.  Is the queens navy working the line really tight ?  I blew a years worth of Ontario Fishing license this year.  Also, is there lakeside fuel close to Rainy Lake RV campground.   Thanks   

• Thumbs Up 1

Late August should be great fishing reefs. Fuel and supplies are only 2 miles west at rainy lake one stop. Wouldn’t even venture across the border if it is not open. Check to see if Ontario MNR (DNR) are giving refunds on licenses. Enjoy!

Edited by Muskies
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck Mtnman! I couldn't take my dad up for our yearly trip in June. Going to Kabetogama for Labor Day week and am thinking about goimg to Rainy in late September. Never fished it in the fall. Looking forward to your report back and some pictures would be nice! We will probably be trolling lead core on Kab at that time of year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good morning better than working. 
if you’re staying a week on kabetogama during Labour day, you could take a trip to kettle falls. There is a portage and for a fee they will bring and your gear to the kettle river which empties into rainy lake. Nice way to fish the east end of rainy lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Out Sunday July 26 for a few hours walleye fishing until the wind kicked up(20+mph).Caught 8, released all with the biggest being 20” fishing reefs with jig and minnow. Sorry no pictures today. Water temperature was 72 degrees.

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, Muskies said:

Hello Mtnman,

Thanks for your posts, pictures, and info. Maybe we can share a story and a laugh along the water boarder in September.  Keep those post coming !!!!

46162285_10209864646213250_754848954767638528_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Mtnman,

I’m sure at some time all of us will be able to visit, have a beer and share a few stories!

• Thumbs Up 1

Beautiful day to be out on rainy lake today(Friday) Fished from 10am to 1:30pm walleye fishing on the north arm temperature about 86 degrees Fahrenheit.  Had to check 4 reef before finding active fish. Caught 16 walleyes ranging from 22” down to 13”( only 2 -13”, 4 -14”-17”), 2 perch and a 33” northern. Fishing jig and minnow in 26’ with surface temperature at 75 degrees. 

E9FE88E3-36B4-47F9-83F9-36D38B9999D7.jpeg

FB73A315-C432-41D3-AF16-B23536350D7D.jpeg

51FED321-A29F-4E36-AF13-74270F6763C4.jpeg

27214195-197E-473E-A31B-1B7F788357C1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 2

Thanks for the update Muskies. Making preparations to head north in 3 weeks. We are so looking forward to cooler weather and the song of the loon. Love those pictures, keep them coming. Cheers and good fishing !! 

• Thumbs Up 1