• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskies

You’re doing what a good guide does...always let the guest do the catching...when possible! Lol. Looks like it will be a little nicer this afternoon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muskies

• Mtnman

• smalljaw

• Better Than Working!

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out yesterday for 3 hours bass fishing with my son north arm.  Caught 10, nothing big. Using salmo hot pink shallow divers 2 1/2”.

Rainy lake today off of reef point. The smallies are starting to make beds. The picture is off my dock in 3 feet of water. 

Thought I would go for a cast after supper...able to fish around reef point area for an hour using pop-r’s(by request from smalljaw)...lots of active smallies...here is a sample...all put back to thei

Posted Images

sherbear

Thank you for your many posts.  Left our cabin  on Rainy Lake in September, 2019.  Your pictures and posts have certainly helped!

• Thanks 1
Muskies
6 hours ago, sherbear said:

Thank you for your many posts.  Left our cabin  on Rainy Lake in September, 2019.  Your pictures and posts have certainly helped!

Thank you! Glad to share with everyone with more to come this year...

smalljaw

Great pictures!  Sure miss being there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Muskies
17 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Great pictures!  Sure miss being there.

The bass darted out from under the dock which caught my eye.  That was on Wednesday during my lunch. Don’t think the border will be open until September-October  at the earliest.

• Thumbs Up 1
Mtnman
Posted (edited)

The heat is oppressive on this Ole Man. I come north for the weather of last week and now I'm cooking just past mid day.  The fishing has been very slow for everyone here at Rainy Lake RV, most everyone is running down beyond Black Bay. I have another week and hope to catch something late in the evenings before we depart. Time seems to be passing me by.  Below is the best I could do. (<:

190849717_1633535263498955_2242415528167850124_n.jpg

Edited by Mtnman
  • Thumbs Up 2
Better Than Working!

I know how you feel. I was turkey hunting last weekend and it was stifling! I don't deal nearly as well as I used to with the heat! At least you are in one of the most beautiful places there is! I will be on Kabetogama in a week and half and I really hope the weather changes for the better! Enjoy your time on a special piece of water!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Muskies

Finally able to get out. Took my daughter and boyfriend bass fishing for a few hours. Caught 13 and had many tail boils. Neither had caught a bass before so loads of fun. Using poppers, shallow diver crawfish and vibrex spinners. All caught in 4 feet or less casting rocky shorelines. Nothing large with the biggest 2 1/2 lbs. After found a few walleyes hanging out along deep weed lines in 15-18 feet. One 19” and the other 26”. Walleyes are transitioning out to deep water. Also mayfly hatch happened last weekend. Water temp at 68-69 degrees.

9AB42B8C-46B1-425F-8BEB-F80E85C2E108.jpeg

F441D81F-B027-47E6-8E00-03D3FF63C34C.jpeg

CAE5B222-7D84-469D-A110-AA42612C00E6.jpeg

40D5D896-80A2-4023-99A3-C97532033FE3.jpeg

1D96DBB7-D443-4A2C-9C49-FA7350D1E288.jpeg

6F16E3E2-3DA1-483D-BE0C-1D24560B1D2F.jpeg

59E38F57-E71E-4A60-B0EA-050E1F5FA6FE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Muskies
Posted (edited)

Went out for two hours this morning. Mayfly hatch has been finished for two week but a lot of carcasses floating in the water. Found walleyes in 18 feet using jig and chub. Caught 12 - 11”-12” and kept 4 - 14”-17” for supper. Still a lot of smoke in the air from fires near northwest bay. Surface water temperature was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

22CFF81C-DB51-4AF5-8D2A-400132DCFA96.jpeg

DAB887D1-926D-461E-B777-6D8D075FF323.jpeg

FAFC7408-3D05-4825-A78A-F0E20B7A5096.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
  • l Love It 2
Mtnman

Looks wonderful. If the border isn't open, we'll be back for September, as the area is a nice place to get away to.  Love all your pictures !!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Muskies
Posted (edited)

Finally was able to get out today for an hour from 10-11am. Picked up 5 walleyes with the largest being 17” and 2 - 28” northerns. Took a screen shot of my depth finder to show the fish are out on the reefs. All were caught using jig and minnow.

0DE33C91-3139-4321-A6C6-DE7F42FBDD8F.jpeg

EE22334F-A272-40A2-9F6B-78A5CF5218A9.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
  • l Love It 1
Mtnman

Excellent, We appreciate you sharing the pics and info. We will be back in about six weeks, Good Lord willing !!!

• Thumbs Up 1
Muskies

Went out for with my wife for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. No wind and pretty warm so only fished for two hours. Did catch 5 walleyes with the biggest being 23” and a 29” northern. We kept three 15”-17” for supper. Had a loon swim up to our boat a dive under it popping up five feet away each time. It did this for 15 -20 minutes then swam off. I guess there was a bunch of minnows in the area.

614DF745-FC29-41E1-900D-0AA3C56452B3.jpeg

32BD0056-5F7C-4663-9A3D-562F50D9F760.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1
Mtnman

Any fishing is always good, but the animal contacts are always priceless. About five weeks and we'll be back again for another sample of northern life.  Thanks for the posts, Enjoy the good weather !!

• Thanks 1
Muskies
13 minutes ago, Mtnman said:

Any fishing is always good, but the animal contacts are always priceless. About five weeks and we'll be back again for another sample of northern life.  Thanks for the posts, Enjoy the good weather !!

It’s been nice but because of the dry weather the fire hazard is extreme. No open fires allowed through out northwestern Ontario. Reefs are starting to heat up. Hope it cools down by the time your back.

• Thumbs Up 1
Muskies

Out Sunday morning for two hours. Picked up 2- 20”, 2 - 16” (kept for lunch)and 8 12”-13” walleyes along with a 29” northern. Fishing 20 feet of water. Water temperature at 76 degrees. Used jig and minnow. From the pictures, you can see how much smoke is in the air from all the forest fires in northwestern Ontario. Hoping for some rain!

58E74E31-3402-445D-93ED-36DACDE429E6.jpeg

EC762747-9931-41C3-9D4B-E27FF11D0001.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
Austin12345

Yes it is very smokey up there I was in the vermilion section of the bwca for a week you could smell the smoke most days I do not know exactly where the fires are located a guy at an outfitter in Ely said there was four going within a 25 mile radius of them. That was a week ago so I do not know the updated info. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
smalljaw

Happy days are here again!  Wonder what the line will be like on 9/9?  We will be in it.  We are leaving from Florida 9/4 and looking forward to returning home after a year and a half of being locked out.

• Thumbs Up 2
Mtnman

Safe travels and may a warm welcome greet you there. Sadly, we will not see the nor country until normal returns from the mayhem.  The fish should be large and plentiful, along with the adventures and memories.  Feel free to share pictures of it all !!!

• Thanks 2
smalljaw
16 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Happy days are here again!  Wonder what the line will be like on 9/9?  We will be in it.  We are leaving from Florida 9/4 and looking forward to returning home after a year and a half of being locked out.

Opps!  Meant to say “Wonder what the line will be like on 8/9”, opening day.  We begin our travel on 8/4.

Muskies

Morning Smalljaw.

This is good news for you and your family and any other US citizens wanting to come north. Hopefully the US government will soon allow travel the other way. We had a very strong storm on Friday, come through north side of reef point, Hopkins bay road and windy point areas. Possible tornado. Lots of trees down. Power has just been restored Sunday afternoon. Hope you will not have much clean up to do at your place. Safe travels and will be looking for you out north of the causeway ripping lips and chasing those brown fish.

• Thanks 1
smalljaw

Thanks for the heads up.  I have a call into my neighbor to check on the property.  Haven’t heard back probably due to the power being out.  He may be up at his island cabin.

One of the other neighbors further down Bay Road East reported a good bit of tree damage.

Hopefully the U.S. will get their act together and reciprocate on the Aug 9 opening date.  Common sense and clear thinking is needed by all.  

I am still losing sleep over that screen shot you took on Jul 9.  Sweet!!!

• Thumbs Up 2
Muskies
21 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have a call into my neighbor to check on the property.  Haven’t heard back probably due to the power being out.  He may be up at his island cabin.

One of the other neighbors further down Bay Road East reported a good bit of tree damage.

Hopefully the U.S. will get their act together and reciprocate on the Aug 9 opening date.  Common sense and clear thinking is needed by all.  

I am still losing sleep over that screen shot you took on Jul 9.  Sweet!!!

Lol….lots of fish on the reefs and you’ll be out soon. Hope your place is ok. Hydro finally on Sunday afternoon. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Muskies

From the storm that went through last Friday….here’s a picture from the boat launch near the causeway looking north…not sure if it was a tornado or water spout…the people that took the picture is shown on the picture. Been storming off and on up here and we are finally getting some much needed rain. Will be updating fishing soon…

54192E37-DE85-4DA8-ABA9-2F4DA3107FDD.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
Mike89

tornado and water spouts are one and the same I was taught....  just sayin....

• Thumbs Up 2
Mtnman

Happy you are getting rain. Should be back on Rainy the end of August.  Cheers !!

• Thumbs Up 1
Mtnman

Oh man, you sure know how to hurt a guy.  🤣  That's everything on my Christmas list !!!!  Are the fires getting under control ?  We really appreciate all the beautiful pictures. 🤩

• Thumbs Up 1
Muskies
11 minutes ago, Mtnman said:

Oh man, you sure know how to hurt a guy.  🤣  That's everything on my Christmas list !!!!  Are the fires getting under control ?  We really appreciate all the beautiful pictures. 🤩

11 minutes ago, Mtnman said:

Lol…The fire crews are working hard but still a lot of smoke in the air. It seems to clear a bit when we get a north wind.

• Thumbs Up 1