• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy lake fishing 2020

It’s been a good summer so far. Of course, fishing always good but the boat traffic is down 75-80%. Drive out, pick a reef and start jigging!. Hopefully everyone can enjoy all parts of rainy next summer. Picture is from my wife and I Monday afternoon (August 3).Caught a total of 20 walleyes, 10 perch. We kept 6 slot fish for supper.

5E221CBD-A71C-40BA-A688-02691C2F5585.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 2

Our week (7/25-8/1) wasn't greatly productive fish wise but I could never really get a pattern to work. I usually use a lindy rig with a half crawler. When we did try jig/minnow not much either. The start of the week the wind was tough to hold on a spot. Later we had no wind and high temps. I marked some surface temps that were like 78 deg, that's pretty warm.

I went down to Brule narrows one day, never been before. Picked a reef and caught a 19" eye pretty quick and then boat control got to be an issue.

Might try a week in Sept once I am retired (Friday is my last day) but I sure miss the ability to fish north of the border.

Bill 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations on your retirement bfisherman11! I hope you enjoy every moment of it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations on your retirement Bill!  Hopefully you’ll get to come up and fish rainy more. Sorry the catching wasn’t better on your last trip. Been out a few days and found the fish scattered, only catching a couple on each reef I stopped at. When I did find some, caught 3-4 12” for every 14-17” fish. Fished red gut bay one afternoon and in the north arm. Did catch this 40” northern last week...of course released after the picture

3F4482F7-DFD5-45B1-BD92-0F8F155F98CA.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

What is the water temperature ? Love the pictures. We have two more weeks before we head north to Rainy Lake.  I hope you have more pics and info in the time period.  Cheers !!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Mtnman. 
Went out Sunday for two hours. Fish are scattered after the last few days of storms. Caught 2 walleyes and a 30” northern in 20 feet of water. Wind blowing out of the northwest 15mph so tough to fish many areas. Water temperature at 70.5 degrees. No photos today.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heading up next week. First trip to Rainy part of our group. Any recent reports or tips for walleye?

Have not been out this week but see previous posts. Weather this week has been warm with with the occasional thunder storm rolling through and temps in the 80’s. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Out Saturday morning for 4 hours. Spent more time driving looking for fish than fishing. Caught 7 walleyes with 3 - 14”-17”. All others were of the 12” variety. Fishing 28 feet with water temperature at 73 degrees.

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Muskies, eight days and counting till the boat gets in the water. We appreciate your updates and info provided.  We fish for anything biting, (big pike) but the wife likes to get the jumbo perch. We 99% use artificial and are usually able to feed ourselves.  Do you have any suggestions for us, stuck on the US side ? Have fished LOTW for 30 yrs out of Nestor Falls, and this year breaks our string.  We have several other Nestor Falls refugee groups meeting us a bit later, and would love to be on the fish.  Cheers !

108_4646.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

I am late, late, late posting up about our trip to Rainy from July 30 to Aug 3rd.  We were camped about 16 miles east of the visitor center.  Weather was pretty good with only some scattered showers, but no storms.  Our area did have a bug hatch going on again.  Early morning the open water reefs had what looked like mini May Flies scatter all over the surface.  Maybe Fish Flies? ? ?  The gulls would show up to eat what the Walleyes couldn't finish off.  Most of the fish were already off of the humps by dawn and were hold over deeper water about 35 ft down.  We used artificial only, but still caught some of these suspended fish.  Seems like we would troll over 100 to catch just 1.  We did see a lot of live bait fishermen but they seemed to be just catching smaller Eyes.

The fishing for Northern was a little more consistent.  Maybe the weren't into eating the Fish Flies (? ? ?) as much as the Walleyes and Smallies were. Still had an absolute wonderful time though.  

Muskies:  Thank you soo much for your on going updates.  We are all living vicariously thru you when we are not up there!

image.png.d53b40770ef399aa2933c981a6513357.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 2

Great to hear you had a good trip ManBearPig and thank you for the compliment. I enjoy getting out and catching fish. As for your assumption on the live bait guys, your spot on...catching 4-5 small ones for every keeper. There is a lot of bait everywhere. Hope you’ll get to come back up soon and enjoy rainy!

Good morning Mtnman. You should be able to catch fish using the same tactics you would use around Nester Falls. I heard the crappies at starting to bit in the black Bay Area this past week. In the past I’ve had better luck fishing east of Brule Narrows but again depend on the year. Long lining cranks off of deeper island points in the evenings for pike has been productive. Will hopefully get out this week to give a report. The picture was the three keepers from the last time out...

85DC161C-58BC-4C8F-BBD3-E03616A1835F.jpeg

• l Love It 2

17 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I am late, late, late posting up about our trip to Rainy from July 30 to Aug 3rd.  We were camped about 16 miles east of the visitor center.  Weather was pretty good with only some scattered showers, but no storms.  Our area did have a bug hatch going on again.  Early morning the open water reefs had what looked like mini May Flies scatter all over the surface.  Maybe Fish Flies? ? ?  The gulls would show up to eat what the Walleyes couldn't finish off.  Most of the fish were already off of the humps by dawn and were hold over deeper water about 35 ft down.  We used artificial only, but still caught some of these suspended fish.  Seems like we would troll over 100 to catch just 1.  We did see a lot of live bait fishermen but they seemed to be just catching smaller Eyes.

The fishing for Northern was a little more consistent.  Maybe the weren't into eating the Fish Flies (? ? ?) as much as the Walleyes and Smallies were. Still had an absolute wonderful time though.  

Muskies:  Thank you soo much for your on going updates.  We are all living vicariously thru you when we are not up there!

image.png.d53b40770ef399aa2933c981a6513357.png

Nice fish!

• l Love It 1

They are in shallow water so casting small jig or a float should work. Early morning or evening are best time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a bit of free time so decided to go out today(August 26) for an hour and a half, from 2 - 3:30pm. Overcast with light southeast winds and water temperature at 73 degrees. Found fish at 29 feet. Caught 1 - 23”, 1 - 21”, 2 - 17”, 1 - 16” and 2 - 12”. There was a better bite when the sky was completely overcast. The first picture is the 23”. The next picture is of my graph right before the 21” hit...kept the three slot fish for tonight’s supper fried up with shore lunch buffalo seasoning breading.

B4570C75-3EFA-42EF-B998-E1B39B1308B0.jpeg

6237A956-DDE4-4FF7-81EA-0BECBD95FBAD.jpeg

E2AC2860-DCBD-4AD8-B740-01A9C16D2DCC.jpeg

C59422F9-69A3-401D-995C-46EF0CC531BE.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 3

That’s one fine looking dinner plate!

Edited by smalljaw
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Lookin good . Thanks for the updates.  My time is coming, if this hurricane doesn't throw a wrench in the works !!  The wife says she is ready for some time in the land of the loon. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, great job with the updates and info Muskies, much appreciated!  I've rekindled an old tradition on Rainy Lake this summer, bringing my oldest boys camping and fishing on Dryweed Island.  I was out in late May and headed back for this Labor Day weekend, bringing my dad with this time.  It'll be his first time back in 25+ years.  Boat troubles kept us from too much serious fishing last time out but should be good to go now. Any suggestions for walleye in that area?  I'll definitely be trying out that crappie bite in black bay as well!  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Hello Wayupnort,

With everything that’s going on in the world it good to be neighbourly and help out. As for fishing around dry weed island, try capstan rock on the north side of the island. Also the reefs on the north east side. I’ve had some luck in the past fishing by American narrows. For the past few weeks I’ve fished only in the north arm. Look for structure then for active fish. If you don’t see anything move on. Good luck fishing with your dad this weekend. 

• I Like it 1

At I Falls since Monday eve and on the water Tuesday afternoon. Wind has been a big issue and at times, driving rain.  Bass were easy Tuesday, but the wind yesterday was a bear. Today is a waste with wind gust to 40.  It all has to get better. Stay safe and cheers !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! Super excited to finish off this work day and head over there in the morning.  I'll be sure to post a report when we get back!

• Thumbs Up 2

At this time of year, try off islands and medium deep structure that’s adjacent to deep water. They will be cruising looking for a meal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Some nice fish, just before we were blown off the lake. Better days are coming.......................,eh ?

118959390_10218380352844959_6014498825458256679_o.jpg

118913149_10218380354084990_6891714254591184838_o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

Well, unfortunately not much of a fishing report.  Took out the prop on a rock so just spent the weekend hanging out with my dad and my boys, good enough for me.  Thanks for the advice, we'll be back!

11 hours ago, WayUpNort said:

Well, unfortunately not much of a fishing report.  Took out the prop on a rock so just spent the weekend hanging out with my dad and my boys, good enough for me.  Thanks for the advice, we'll be back!

Sorry to hear you had a tough go in the boating department but glad you made the best of it. I have carried a spare prop for the last 30 years...luckily have not had to use it but good insurance. 

• Thanks 1