• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy lake fishing 2020

Hello everyone.

I have not seen or heard from anyone on the form so I thought I would post some pictures of opening weekend on rainy lake, May 16 and 17. Water is about 18” low from July levels and water temperature is 56 degrees as of Sunday. The walleyes and bass were caught on jig and minnows in 8’- 12’ of water. 

13197CF1-2726-4970-8F7B-762B311BA343.jpeg

FCA21407-60B6-4601-BFCA-91398F31A77F.jpeg

FCEB51BD-8DAA-41E2-A9DE-AFEC9CDE779C.jpeg

0CA53E16-BD48-4F5D-97C8-0A21C8589DE7.jpeg

FF2C139D-92BC-47AD-A6A8-79440DB2661E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Nice work Muskie. Good to see that there are still some fish left in the lake! I'll be up shortly and post a full report of the memorial weekend bite. Are you guys west or east side fishing? We tend to stay east but might be venturing westbound considering the no Canada restrictions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Mallertime! One afternoon in the rice Bay Area and the other Far East end of seine bay... ontario side. So far the  only news here is the border is closed until June 21. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the pictures. We will be back up the end of July. Sure would be nice to run up into Canada but if you can't you can't.

Bill

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Thanks Bill.

Hopefully the border will be open by then but again it’s a wait and see. By July all the reefs on the east end will have fish on them, but always better when you have more choices...good luck when you come up in July.

Hello Muskies

Glad to hear the opening went well.  We are still in FL due to the border closure and can’t return to our home on Rainy Lake.  The urge to fish was strong so I ordered some fishing equipment from Bass Pro Shops.  The brain trust decided to ship a two piece rod and reel combo 40” long in a 39” long box!

29737323-7492-4298-9BDD-0D001BB82ED1.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Thanks smalljaw. Great packing job! Hopefully you’ll be able to get away from the heat and humidity and enjoy lake life again and use that new rig!

We were out again yesterday (Saturday) on the east end of rainy. Caught 20+ walleyes largest was 23” and 8 hammer handle northern in 8 -11 feet of water.  Water is still down about a foot with little or no current anywhere. The water surface is up to 66 degrees. Here’s a sample of the day...

19C3B3DB-18BD-442A-9A27-B5A504E007E4.jpeg

61756DC9-0ED3-4CB8-8879-4169200C819C.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

May 31...Another beautiful afternoon on rainy lake with my wife...fishing east end this time...out for 4 hours 20+ walleyes and one 30” northern. Surface water temperature 65 degrees in 10-14 feet...jigs and chubs...Cajun batter on the fillets...

F04F3501-B000-4445-B605-A49898399DC5.jpeg

518BCDD3-4138-438A-ABC4-AAF0B2A8ADA7.jpeg

1C7AA687-A331-4460-A03A-E3C677041A16.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

That looks good. Keep posting! Enjoying the pictures of my favorite lake.

Bill

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

News from Ontario...border closed until the end of June...sorry to all who fish both sides of rainy lake. We have received over an inch of rain total over the past few days so no chance to wet a line. The lake is now at normal summer time depth. 

sorry, just found this...

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada and the United States are set to extend a ban on non-essential travel to late July as both countries seek to control the spread of the coronavirus, according to three sources familiar with the matter. 

Washington and Ottawa introduced month-long restrictions in March and renewed them in April and May. The ban, currently due to expire on June 21, does not affect trade. 

Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely. 

“It’s going to be a clean rollover” on June 21, said a U.S. source who requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation. “We will want to look at it again in July.” 

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security was not immediately available for comment. 

Data show that while the outbreak is slowing across the 10 Canadian provinces, new cases show little sign of abating in Toronto and Montreal, the country’s two largest cities.

Edited by Muskies
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report.  I feel for all the camp operators and retail operations who are seeing their business evaporate.  I feel for all the fishermen who have been coming to Canada for many years.  For me personally, I never dreamed when I bought my home on Rainy Lake that one day I would be told I can’t go to my own home.  What happens if COVID takes a turn for the worse?  Does the Government decide we can no longer live in our property?  Nobody knows because all we are being told is that the border is closed.  What is needed is some detailed long term planning so all involved can run their business, plan their trips, and decide whether continued home ownership is feasible.  The fishing/hunting tourism business is valued in the billions.  Real estate is valued in the billions.  We need some adults in Government to pay attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree! This past week the govt is allowing immediate family to return to Ontario. Camps and lodges open to Canadians. At the border US camp owners can apply to enter and work at their camps and lodges but have to isolate for 15 days.  At least this is a start...hopefully things will improve. Have not been out for a few weeks. Every day I have off it’s been blowing and or stormy. Hopefully out this week.

• Thanks 2

On 6/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, smalljaw said:

What is needed is some detailed long term planning so all involved can run their business, plan their trips, and decide whether continued home ownership is feasible.  The fishing/hunting tourism business is valued in the billions.  Real estate is valued in the billions.  We need some adults in Government to pay attention.

While I do agree with your assessment, I'm sure the fishing/hunting tourism business is only a small fraction of Canada's overall economy.  They have to make a decision that is best for the entire country as a whole, not just one specific sector.  Toronto and Montreal cases are still on the rise and those two cities represent the two largest in their country.  I believe that they will continue to tackle this issue on a month-to-month basis.  As we get closer to the next deadline, they'll make another announcement.  Just my personal opinion but I don't think it will be open until August.

• Thanks 2

Heading up to Rainy Lake July 5th for a week. Cannot wait. Love reading your updates and looking for more in the days to come!

• l Love It 1

Finally took the boat off the trailer in into the lake...during my lunch....of course had to stop and check a spot 

... no bait...used jigging rap for 20 minutes...1 sauger-12 1/2” and one 25” sucker...caught in 22 feet, surface temp at 66 degrees, water is at normal summertime levels, some mayfly carcasses floating in the water. Watched a few bass surface eating bugs on top of the water where I tie my boat up. Sorry couldn’t fish for them due to lunch time restraints...another day....

62E4E465-6414-41B9-8930-1D1BB209A58D.jpeg

81938B4D-0E00-4713-B251-4FC1288B06FB.jpeg

D7F28BAC-E1D5-4870-B31F-41551538801B.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

This will be the first Independence Day weekend on Rainy Lake I have missed since 1999.  I have a favor to ask.  Please tie on a Pop R and catch one of those bass gorging on mayflies.  Post a photo for all to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Hey smalljaw,

sorry you’ll miss out out the “smallie” fireworks...lol...I’ll make sure to post a couple of pictures next time I’m out...it’s been a bit warm here with heat warnings up until next week...temps been around 85-90 and humid.
Happy 1st of July to anyone north of the border and Happy 4th of July to everyone south of it!

• I Like it 1

Getting closer for me. We will be up on 7/25. If you guys see a red Lowe FM 165 (Fishing Machine) w/90HP Merc, that will most likely be me.  We stay at Idlewood so with no CA this year I suspect we will be traveling east a lot. I know by then Black Bay is "supposed" to be done but I manage a few eyes in there this week. I just like fishing that area, I fished it a lot years ago with my dad. There are big pike everywhere so I will hit a few spots that week.  The reef's I like best for eyes are mostly all east.

The way the border looks I don't think Smalljaw will get to see his cabin in CA this year. That really stinks! Years ago I wished for a cabin on an island on Rainy, that is still a fantasy I guess. I wouldn't be too happy if I finally had my cabin and I couldn't visit it.

I am retiring this summer if things line up right. After this trip with my wife I might try to get my dad back up onto Rainy if I can figure it out. He is 83 and in decent shape except a bad back. My mom is our concern, she has dementia and needs watching, so far my dad is her full time caregiver. My dad started taking me to Rainy when I was in my early teens so I owe him. I know there may be better places to fish but Rainy just keeps me coming back.

Muskies, I really enjoy you posting. Oh, have you ever caught a musky on Rainy? I have not that I recall.

Thanks for letting ramble on your thread.

Bill

• Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing...I was lucky enough to grow up on sand bay. As for muskies, I’ve caught a few smaller ones. The picture is of the lake today...it was a nice day but work needed to get done...no fishing

667A9A27-6241-44E2-AAAB-04C8A7F5F1BA.jpeg

Edited by Muskies
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a picture of the water...6 feet deep off my dock...very clear right now

A2DE7A85-EE6D-4F71-9819-6FA2AA436152.jpeg

Good morning resplendent.. With all the warm weather we have had the walleyes should be Biting on the reefs by this weekend. The forecast is for 80-85 next week but I would like to see some rain up here as it’s pretty dry in the bush. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

I'm new to this forum, so I thought that I'd make my 1st post about Rainy.

I was up there for a 4 day / 3 night camping/fishing trip, around the end of June, with my grandson that is 14 years old.   Our camp site was about 16 miles east of of the visitor center ramp by boat, but probably only 12 or 13 miles as the crow flies......  Around the Kemp Channel Entrance.   This was before the hot weather hit, so we had nights in the low 50s and and days in the mid to low 70s.

We mostly cast jigs with soft plastics into 3 and 4 ft water then  retrieved out to about 12 ft of water.  A lot of the time was working the windy side of rocky shorelines and a few exposed reefs.  Was disappointed in the size and number of Smallies that we picked up, but we did pick up several eater and over slot Walleyes in the process.  We also did a fair amount of  trolling with #7, and a little deeper with #9 Shad Raps.  This got us a few more Walleyes, 2 decent Pike, and a couple of little Smallies.

We did find a small hump fairly near an island  that had good marks in small groups, that I was sure were  Walleyes.  We drifted it several times with jigs and crawlers, and only caught 4 small Walleyes.  I'm pretty familiar with my bottom machine's readout, and the marks were not the small fish that we caught.   Just could not get the better marks to bite.

Near camp, and in many other areas, the depth finder was showing mid water column  round blobs.  I was thinking that these could have been bug larvae working their way up in the water column prior to hatching?  What do you think those blobs were?

I'll be back camping at the same spot at the end of July into early August.  Hoping for bigger fish this time.

• Thanks 1

Just came across this forum for the first time.

I have been coming to rainy lake since I was born, and have always had a passion for the pre july 4th fishing in the bays and try to make it up at or before that to enjoy.  This year with things in flux we will be up mid july.  I know that is traditionally reef time, but have never had much success.  I have read and talked with some locals who say find the reefs that come up to 25-40 feet surrounded by deep water.  Does anyone have any advice on spots to hit mid july.  I will find them on a map, but am definitely a novice reefer.

Thanks

Erik

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello manbearpig,

You were out in the middle of bug hatch...finally finishing up now. When you come back in late July try locate reefs in the 20-30 foot mark and you should have some luck. If you look at a map there are many in the area you were camping. I prefer using a jig and minnow as my go to but have  used different techniques over the years...depending on what the fish want. Hope you enjoyed your time on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good morning Erik
If you want to fish in July and August, the reefs are a good choice. I also look for shelves along side islands. The info received from the local people is correct. Use your electronics to find active fish. If you don’t see any fish move to a new spot. Once you find them a jig and minnow is a great choice. Good luck when you cone back.

Edited by Muskies
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Muskies said:

Hello manbearpig,

You were out in the middle of bug hatch...finally finishing up now. When you come back in late July try locate reefs in the 20-30 foot mark and you should have some luck. If you look at a map there are many in the area you were camping. I prefer using a jig and minnow as my go to but have  used different techniques over the years...depending on what the fish want. Hope you enjoyed your time on the lake.

Thank you for your reply Muskies!

Knowing now that there was a bug hatch going on during my last trip, as I suspected, I don't feel quite as bad about my fishing skills.

I'm  really looking forward to our end of July/early August trip.  This camping/fishing trip will be with  and old friend  that I've know since grade school days.  However, the last time that we camped together was in the BWCA about 40 years ago.  My plan has been to fish the mid-lake humps with crawlers on bottom bouncer/spinner rigs or just using jigs.  Now that you mentioned minnows, I may try to bring some of those as well.  As you using Fatheads on the jigs in late July?

Chubs mostly...depending on the day and conditions. Always good to bring crawlers and leeches to try also.