• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The elusive catfish

PeachyHans

I mentioned in a previous post that I'm hoping to catch my first catfish this year. I've poked around the coon rapids dam but caught nothing, other than my first tick bite ?

There's actually a story behind my catfish mission. It all started when I was about 10 years old, fishing off a dock at a family cabin. I was bored, casting and reeling repeatedly. My older cousins teased me, saying I wouldn't catch anything with a plastic crawler. I didn't care since I was only there to experience the lake...but after a few more casts, something hit with the force of a freight train (to little 10 year-old me, anyway). My cousins saw me struggling with something and came over in time for the fish to leap out of the water, revealing the biggest fish my young eyes had ever seen. It was a cat, a BIG one, and it was about twenty feet out. One cousin grabbed a net while the other jumped around hollering. The adults emerged to investigate all the commotion. EVERYONE was on the dock waiting for me to land this beast! My mom had a camera, my cousin was ready with the net, my aunt was screaming like she was watching the vikings play. I fought for what felt like ages, and finally spotted the fish; bright eyes, whiskers, a long dark body that was solid muscle, and a mouth that could swallow my fist. It seemed to look at me and contemplate for a moment...then spat out the hook. It disappeared into the depths as dumbfounded silence fell over the dock.

I have zero doubts that it was a channel catfish. Likely not a record breaker, but beefy nonetheless. The catfish continues to elude me, but I'm determined to break the cycle this year! ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

If you're looking for a good catfish spot in that area, Peninsula Point Park in Anoka holds nice channel cats. You can walk right out to the confluence of the Miss and the Rum and cast into the Miss and hook into some fun. Good luck!!

• Yayyyy 1

@PeachyHans, I went catfishing often when I lived in KS.  For channel cats i would use the following set up with very good results.

Dough stink bait wrapped in panty hose, seriously, with a large hook, bigger than pike fishing size, stuck right through the middle of it.  Tie both ends of panty hose so bait doesnt get lost

2-3 feet of line with the hook attached to a barrel swivel

1-3 oz pancake sinker or tear drop (depending on river current), on line above barrel swivel

Clip on bell for end of pole, works like a charm, awesome for night time fishing 

I used to use the brand pole cracker for dough stink bait, i dont see it here in mn though

• I Like it 1

@Mike89 Thank you! I raise crawlers so they're my bait of choice. I'll keep the bullheads in mind too while I'm out there.

@JayJayBee That's not too far from me, yay! I will definitely check it out asap ?

@Bucketcastle Thanks for the tips! I've heard the dough method too, as well as cheese or slim jims. I usually use a carolina rig or float with a crawler.

• Thumbs Up 1