• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Line for Son’s Spinning reel?

simonmichel

Hey folks. During the downtime I’ve been fishing more and my son who is 11 has been coming along. He is proficient with a spinning reel and uses 1 rod and reel.

2500 size Plfueger President / 7’ St. Croix Avid spinning rod.

What would be the best all around line for him. Weightless Senko / Swim Jigs. Thanks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
eyeguy 54

Ten or 15 pound braid with a flouro leader should be fine. So many choices. Good luck and have fun.😁

eyeguy 54
Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention. I spooled a couple up with Berkeley x5 last year. I like it. 

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Yeah the braid would be a good option especially fishing around cover and casting realatively light baits.  Also, with no stretch driving the hook home should work well.  Personally I skip the flouro leader unless I'm adding a swivel due to lure spin.  Even then I'll usually opt for mono to give me a little stretch.

eyeguy 54

I tried the little swivels and didn't care much for them so I learned how to tie the double uni.  Works slick.  For the weightless senko I whacky style so don't get twist with that and have not noticed any twist with swim jig. Not a biggy to have anything extra on the sim jig. Agree with the mono, I usually have a few feet of trilene XT cuz its cost is way lower and works great.  prefer cheap if it works. :) ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Some of my exploits (such as breaking through five inches of ice) have been well-documented on this forum. I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the dumb things that we've all done on/around this lake. They can be funny, serious, life-threatening, just plain dumb, or a combination. I figure that we can all learn a bit while sharing some embarrassing moments.

Mine is a split-decision:

Dumb Candidate #1) Around 5yrs ago, we all headed up for fishing opener. A buddy that used to co-own the cabin got there first with other guys from the group. There was a few inches of fresh snow everywhere. Nobody shoveled the dock or stairs before I got there. I didn't bother either as I was the late-comer. Throughout the weekend the trampled snow turned into ice with each step. Fast-forward to the day everyone was leaving and my buddy slipped on one of the last steps, falling on the corner of a stair tread, and broke several ribs. As the host, I sure felt like crap for not taking charge of things once I got there and getting things shoveled. It sucks seeing a friend get hurt and knowing it was preventable.

Dumb Candidate #2) This summer I took a bunch of nieces and nephews for ATV rides back in the woods. They all had a great time. On the last of five trips, I was a little too excited and went faster along the trail. At one point the edge of my left front tire caught a log and turned the handlebars sharply. In the end, I spent portions of many weekends this summer replacing tie rods and a demolished cv joint on my 2002 Polaris. That was my penalty for being dumb but a good lesson learned.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Has anyone been out to check ice on any lakes in area. Heard there was 2-3 inches on strand. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      hope everyone has a great thanksgiving day. enjoy what company you can and enjoy your thanksgiving meal.👍
    • Old Boat
      By Old Boat
      It's got a 50hp Merc that's got the lower took apart. Covered bow, tapered STEARN. Thick aircraft grade aluminum.
    • YouthFishingGuide
      By YouthFishingGuide
      I have found a Strikemaster Magnum 3 Plus 49cc 3HP with box and never used. It also has the matching Mora(Sweden) Auger with guard and spare bonus blades. Paint looks new. I am curious if this is a valuable item or if I should just add some gas and start using. Thank you

• Phisher0420
      By Phisher0420
      Had anyone tried and had luck finding worms in late fall. For some reason we have a worm shortage, not I've place in town has had then for weeks
    • Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Everyone please vote tomorrow. Our fishing and hunting needs all our support. No matter who you vote for just vote. Thank goodness the political ads will finally be done.
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      In years past, Jack and other owners of the Landing used to keep the boat launch plowed next door. The last owners of the Landing didn't do it. I've asked several times while frequenting the Landing this summer/fall, and it sounds like they do not plan to keep the lot open either. Are there any other public launches on the lake that are regularly or semi-regularly plowed for people to park sled trailers?
    • Austin12345
      By Austin12345
      Its hard to think but its coming soon at 15 I dont have 300 laying around to buy a vex with so last year I got a garmin striker 4 and made a mount for it even with the summer ducer it worked great!! I would put it up aginst my buddies vexs and marcums here are the pics

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• papadarv
      Just got back home, checked Coon Lake, Anoka. 3" at East access off Lexington. Only 20 ft off shore lots of ice cracking. 1" at the easement access West shore 3 ft. off shore. Couple 100 ducks on open water adjacent shore. 4 guys fishing the channel one with a double Eskimo hub. They said the channel had 4". May be a challenge to get my required 6" before Christmas with December warmer NOAA forecast. New K-drill rocks.   20201204_125309.mp4
    • GopherFishing
      This was from today. West End, Wakemup Narrows and Frazer still have open water.  
    • Rick
      RIP Ron...he had a great run and he helped provide many great moments for me.   God bless and prayers sent!
    • Rick
      Welcome and what would you like your handle to be?
    • opsirc
      Try a lake in the canyon area the other day. Solid 4-5" most of the way out,  but got close to middle of the lake, chisel went thru on second hit. Looked like maybe 2",  decided to turn around and head back to shore. 
    • Skill-lessWanderer
      After I made the handle, I then saw yours...then I was like darn. 364 days until I can change it again so it’s not weird😂
    • ozzie
      wednesday I drove up to backus from Elk River along 10 and saw one portable out on Crow Wing Lake and other than that most lakes appeared to have for the most part just skimmed over.  the loop home from backus i went through crosslake and then over to 169 along mille lacs and there were some small lakes frozen over but did not see a sole out on them.
    • Mike89
      someone has to be first..........
    • gimruis
      Some bonehead decided to try driving out on Lake Bemidji this week already.  Of course he went through only 100 yards from shore.
    • gimruis
      I went yesterday for about 3.5 hours and got a couple.  Shoulda had a third with some better shooting.  I raised about 40 in addition to 5 deer.  The dog made a real nice retrieve on a wounded one too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.