• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Things Of the Past you Remember

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Lets get off the Virus stuff and try and get some Topics rolling again besides that!  Have some fun again ?What are some of the things that are long gone now that you remember or remember doing . This might show some of our ages especially some of the old timers ?. I remember hanging out at the 10 HI drive INN. Regular TV no cable.  Landline phones with party lines. Sitting in the back seat of my parents car not a one of us had seat belts on not sure there were any even ? Walking to school. Pit keg party's where piles of people hung out and cops didn't bother you all the time and everyone intermingled no matter your age. Boom boxes. Being able to fish off bridges without getting hassled. Kick the bucket. Going to the Paramount for a movie. Most bridges were metal. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • l Love It 2

KIck the can. Playland ballroom. Avon, New Munich and Richmond ballrooms. Lake Henry and Roscoe too. Lots of Windsor/Coke. Slow pitch softball 3 times a week. Poker runs on Saturdays with our old polaris charger and Polaris colt.  Hate to admit but disco and Eden Lakeside. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dash looks like you hung out in some of my backyard haunts also. Sure you remember Slave Raider in New Munich ballroom ? Rock N Roll Buck  Zumhoff use to own the Richmond Collesium! He was quite the character ?

Yea no kidding  both you forgot the river roost and there bands. The pedistrians where awesome.

That is unless you 2 where to wet behind the ears yet!!;??

Smurf I hung out in there so much Ma Pa Shulte treated me like one of there own sons ? That was a fun one! always a good mixed crowd. 

• Yayyyy 1

Although I suspect I'm younger than a few of you. I used to remember as a kid going to the cabin with my dad and his buddy, I sat in the middle of a normal cab pickup, they both smoked, windows cracked about an 1/8 of an inch if I was lucky. Friday night we had hot dogs and canned vegetables, we'd catch walleye and 14-15 inch crappies off the dock and they were filleted without a second thought. Saturday nights was round steak and more canned veggies and Sunday we would head home with a cooler of fish. Not that I condone it in the least but there was always a six pack playmate cooler between my feet with high life and I would normally stuff a caprisun in there.

57 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Smurf I hung out in there so much Ma Pa Shulte treated me like one of there own sons ? That was a fun one! always a good mixed crowd. 

Sure was. And those 2 treated about everyone there that way!!?

Oh yea them outdoor movie theaters, UFFDA. Kimball ballroom as well as me Jim's in Foley where good for a change of scenery. Seen head east there. That was awesome.

Manual windows, manual door locks, manual steering, manual brakes (no power assist), AM radio only, no shoulder strap, no ABS brakes, no air bags, manual adjusted seats, five kids piled in the back seat, no car seats, no ATV, no cell phone, no pager, no video games, no CD's, no DVD's, rotary dial telephone, not being able to untie my shoes or unzip my coat after playing outside in winter, ....

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, BobT said:

Manual windows, manual door locks, manual steering, manual brakes (no power assist), AM radio only, no shoulder strap, no ABS brakes, no air bags, manual adjusted seats, five kids piled in the back seat, no car seats, no ATV, no cell phone, no pager, no video games, no CD's, no DVD's, rotary dial telephone, not being able to untie my shoes or unzip my coat after playing outside in winter, ....

Maybe even a kid laying in the rear window, dimmer switch on the floor, manual transmission, shift on the column, $0.69 /gallon gas, push rotary reel lawn mower, grab fishing pole and Prince Albert can and be gone all day and Mom not worrying about what or where after chores of coarse, oh I could go and on

• Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of Manual transmissions remember the 3 on the tree. Wonder how many could drive one of them now remember learning one as a kid ? I know my wife kids couldn't ?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BobT said:

Manual windows, manual door locks

It's super hard to find vehicles like this these days @BobT I searched for about 6 months to find my normal cab long box 4x4 with manual everything besides a manual transmission, couldn't find one but would have liked to! Simplicity may not have the comforts but the sure last longer. 

Man, I could go for a can of "Rondo"--"the thirst crusher!"  Mmmmmm…

22 minutes ago, my4x4yj said:

...grab fishing pole and Prince Albert can

Caller:  "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

shopkeeper:  "Why yes we do."
Caller:  "let him out, he'll suffocate!"

• I Like it 1

14 hours ago, IceHawk said:

? Rock N Roll Buck  Zumhoff use to own the Richmond Collesium! He was quite the character ?

A very nast and rude guy when he was loaded... My Father knew Gene well.  And yes, quite the character?

Pretty sure hes still sitting in prison for quite a lot of years yet..lol

Raising and working on Tobacco farms in Richmond Eden valley  Paynesville area. Hard to believe but was real popular in this area when I was a kid. In fact I spent my summers off school working at a relatives farm. It was sold for Red Man chewing tobbaco. Pretty neat process. Seeds put in Hot beds raised gardens with cheese  cloth covering. When about 5 inches high plants picked and planted in rows behind a  tractor planter similar to a potato tree planter. cultivated, tasseled then when ready to harvest chopped at bottom of stock left to wilt in sun. Then speared on a wood lath and hung in tobacco barn to dry. When dried leaves picked off stock and bailed in wrapped in paper and hauled to Wisconsin to be sold for chewing tobacco. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Raising and working on Tobacco farms in Richmond Eden valley  Paynesville area. Hard to believe but was real popular in this area when I was a kid. In fact I spent my summers off school working at a relatives farm. It was sold for Red Man chewing tobbaco. Pretty neat process. Seeds put in Hot beds raised gardens with cheese  cloth covering. When about 5 inches high plants picked and planted in rows behind a  tractor planter similar to a potato tree planter. cultivated, tasseled then when ready to harvest chopped at bottom of stock left to wilt in sun. Then speared on a wood lath and hung in tobacco barn to dry. When dried leaves picked off stock and bailed in wrapped in paper and hauled to Wisconsin to be sold for chewing tobacco. 

was that for ronny weeres?????? that was my brothers first BIL!!!!?

Yep Smurf knew Missy quite well. ?

Grew up on a farm. Small building on left pic was a smoke house. Dad (or Pa as we knew him) raised hogs. Bro & I would sneak in the smoker and eat the small knife cut strips of un-done bacon, we both loved. During summer family would go to Stewart lake with cane poles to catch bull heads. Biggest catch was 186 and was considered as great Food. Smaller tractors were hand crank start, didn’t have batteries. At dinner (now Aka lunch) we listened to a WCCO Cedric Adam’s for grain prices. When Corn & Beans went up a nickel per bushel meant next 3 days of hard sweat labor shoveling grain out of granary (building in pic 2) into the double clutch shift truck to go to market. In 1950, dad decided to winter in Florida, sold all livestock, pack 10 kid in a station wagon and headed south on a 6 day trip. At gas stations going threw Ala. and Ga. boys used the bathroom with the “Colored" sign above the door. Being from MN we had no clue about southern segregation. My friend's dad hobby was fixing cathode ray tube TV's where I spent countless hours with him learning electronics. In ’59 I brought our first family TV home which I actually fixed. The countless hours paid off with working 40 years at Control Data. In late ’76 early ’77 as a hobby, built a self contained PC computer before the Apple II came out. Almost got me fired as I was a Test Engineering manager and not in development. A few things I haven’t done. Got sober in 1977. Haven’t tasted a wine cooler, no clue what Light Beer or craft beer tastes like and have no desire to find out. All this stuff was invented after I quit drinking. During the day my favorites were Oly beer, IW Harper bourbon and any cheap Gin.

20200407_084849.jpg.74e6143d7f0b84176bc815a57d61d692.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

I remember the rides to the lakes in the old station wagon with the seats that faced each other and no seat belts. 

I remember finally getting my watercraft permit when I was 11 which meant I could take the 14’ aluminum boat with the old 9.9 Johnson on it out by myself. And then finally getting to go out by myself and dragging the anchor all the way back to the cabin because I forgot to pull it up. I don’t know why I couldn’t figured out why I couldn’t get any speed. 

I remember riding the board ski behind that same boat. No one believes me but all it was just a half sheet of 1/2” plywood with a 2x4 on the front and a rope for a handle. Then another rope tied to the boat. We had 2 of these. The fancier one had a 1/2” X1/2” board down the middle to make it more stable. 

I also remember getting my firearm safety which meant I could go out to the woods alone with my .22. I’d tie the gun case to the side of my bike and ride down to the river and spend all day in the woods and the only rule was to be home by supper. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Dash looks like you hung out in some of my backyard haunts also. Sure you remember Slave Raider in New Munich ballroom ? Rock N Roll Buck  Zumhoff use to own the Richmond Collesium! He was quite the character ?

Oh yes. And Flyte was a big draw as well. Got a break from  police chief Weere's for doing donuts in parking lot. I grew up on mink farm in EV. Learned to drive a 3 on the tree at age 12. I also remember the 18% interest rates in early 80s. That's what finally finished off our mink farming. But we actually made money in a savings account then.

2 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Speaking of Manual transmissions remember the 3 on the tree. Wonder how many could drive one of them now remember learning one as a kid ? I know my wife kids couldn't ?

That was a long push from 1st to 2nd! My brothers first car was a 72 Plymouth Valiant with 3 on the tree.  I went for the 74 Valiant that automatic.  I bought it with $450 of my first real paycheck dollars earned de-tasseling corn for Top Farm Hybrids by Cokato.  The rest of that first check was for my first deer shoulder mount; a “nice” 8 pointer shot IN the Pine River. 

Before my driving years we were all over on our pedal bikes from our HQ on the border of Brooklyn Park/Brooklyn Center.  It was the edge of potato field country.  The only real development between there and Champlain was the Tom Thumb on 81st and Humboldt. Midnight trips to Victory Memorial drive to pick crawlers to drown in the river from the Camden bridge to the Coon Rapids Dam.  In Shingle Creek from Camden to Palmer Lake.  When season opened we trapped the creek from Palmer Lake to 81st Avenue.  Lazaroff’s Farm was a good spot.  Nobody worried or got upset about our travels.  We didn’t steal things or vandalize anything and would stop and chat or help with anyone who needed it.

Once we got the cabin south of Pine River, on the river, there were tons of soaked tennis shoes and jeans wades and walks up and down the river between Hwy 371 and The Whitefish Chain.  Mostly Potlatch land that we were free to roam for grouse, snowshoes, ducks and deer.  Heaven in the eyes of a 12 year old boy.

All of that is only available to me in my memories now.  And I still smile when I think of it.

Thanks for the thread @IceHawk

• Thumbs Up 3

car hops at the A&W and other drive inns....  going to the junk yard for used parts....  and being able to work on my own car.....  

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, IceHawk said:

I learned to drive on 3 on a tree. My first owned vehicle was a '67 Ford F100 with 4-speed. 

12 hours ago, my4x4yj said:

Maybe even a kid laying in the rear window, dimmer switch on the floor, manual transmission, shift on the column, $0.69 /gallon gas, push rotary reel lawn mower, grab fishing pole and Prince Albert can and be gone all day and Mom not worrying about what or where after chores of coarse, oh I could go and on

The lowest price I can recall for gasoline is $.27 per gallon. By the time I started driving it was about $.45 per gallon.  We actually own a manual rotary wheel lawn mower, however, I don't use it to mow our 1-acre lawn. And, yes, our curfew was be home at dark.

12 hours ago, Kettle said:

It's super hard to find vehicles like this these days @BobT I searched for about 6 months to find my normal cab long box 4x4 with manual everything besides a manual transmission, couldn't find one but would have liked to! Simplicity may not have the comforts but the sure last longer. 

You'd have to special order that now and the price would be exceptional.

11 hours ago, papadarv said:

Grew up on a farm. Small building on left pic was a smoke house. Dad (or Pa as we knew him) raised hogs. Bro & I would sneak in the smoker and eat the small knife cut strips of un-done bacon, we both loved. During summer family would go to Stewart lake with cane poles to catch bull heads. Biggest catch was 186 and was considered as great Food. Smaller tractors were hand crank start, didn’t have batteries. At dinner (now Aka lunch) we listened to a WCCO Cedric Adam’s for grain prices. When Corn & Beans went up a nickel per bushel meant next 3 days of hard sweat labor shoveling grain out of granary (building in pic 2) into the double clutch shift truck to go to market. In 1950, dad decided to winter in Florida, sold all livestock, pack 10 kid in a station wagon and headed south on a 6 day trip. At gas stations going threw Ala. and Ga. boys used the bathroom with the “Colored" sign above the door. Being from MN we had no clue about southern segregation. My friend's dad hobby was fixing cathode ray tube TV's where I spent countless hours with him learning electronics. In ’59 I brought our first family TV home which I actually fixed. The countless hours paid off with working 40 years at Control Data. In late ’76 early ’77 as a hobby, built a self contained PC computer before the Apple II came out. Almost got me fired as I was a Test Engineering manager and not in development. A few things I haven’t done. Got sober in 1977. Haven’t tasted a wine cooler, no clue what Light Beer or craft beer tastes like and have no desire to find out. All this stuff was invented after I quit drinking. During the day my favorites were Oly beer, IW Harper bourbon and any cheap Gin.

20200407_084849.jpg.74e6143d7f0b84176bc815a57d61d692.jpg

You make me feel young! ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I remember the 10 o'clock news having a banner that said "Do you know where your kids are?"

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys for all the posts in this Thread it's been a lot of fun reminiscing some of the old things that are gone but not forgotten really appreciate the feedback!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, smurfy said:

Yea no kidding  both you forgot the river roost and there bands. The pedistrians where awesome.

That is unless you 2 where to wet behind the ears yet!!;??

I haven't thought about that place in years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I remember playing baseball and tennis on the street in front of our house.  Drivers didn't seem to mind waiting a few seconds for us to move out of the way.  We played all over Big Lake which was much smaller back then.   Drive un like the A&W or Ranchero where favorite hangouts.

• Yayyyy 1