• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Austin12345

Catching Minnows

Austin12345

I was wondering If any of you guys have some tips and tricks if you catch your own minnows I have done it in the past I will have to be doing it more as we probally wont be able to go get bait I useally use just a minnow net and go to some small creeks by my house and can get about 3-4 dozen shiners and fatheads in 20 min but I was wondering if anyone has experince trapping them.

Kettle

I would catch Chubs using tear drop jigs and pieces of really small angle like worms. How I catch walleye in rivers, catch Chubs to catch the walleye 

IceHawk

Austin small minnow traps baited with some small dogfood or bread pieces. Toss in creeks deeper pools in backwaters especially off rivers. Leeches crushed coffee cans baited with beef spleens or liver,  pull real early before first light before leeches escape. Just make sure there not blood suckers and good leeches  Crawlers I get most of mine after a good hard rain on a couple back blacktop roads that are loaded doesn't take long. Be setup for bait for a while even if bait stores are closed . 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer
25 minutes ago, Austin12345 said:

I was wondering If any of you guys have some tips and tricks if you catch your own minnows I have done it in the past I will have to be doing it more as we probally wont be able to go get bait I useally use just a minnow net and go to some small creeks by my house and can get about 3-4 dozen shiners and fatheads in 20 min but I was wondering if anyone has experince trapping them.

That sounds pretty efficient!  When I was growing up we’d seine a creek too to get the smaller minnows.  A little later we had a cabin on a river in northern MN and would catch creek chubs like @Kettle mentioned.  We’d have two rods with; one for chubs and one for rigging the chubs for bigger fish.  A grasshopper or worm from an overturned log would start the show.

These days you have to be careful about transportation of bait between waters though.  Bait dealers have to trap under permit to be VHS free.  Be sure of the regs wherever you’re trapping and fishing.

The good ol days were good!

Rick G
Posted (edited)

Like icehawk said, dog food works well, i would put it in cheesecloth or an old sock w someholes in it to keep it all from washing away too quickly. Those small barrel type traps can be very effectife if you have a good size population of minnows in your creek. 

Edited by Rick G

PRO-V

A hunk of uncooked lasagna noodle attracts them well also in a trap.

• Thanks 1

Austin12345

Nice thanks you guys

smurfy
14 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Austin small minnow traps baited with some small dogfood or bread pieces. Toss in creeks deeper pools in backwaters especially off rivers. Leeches crushed coffee cans baited with beef spleens or liver,  pull real early before first light before leeches escape. Just make sure there not blood suckers and good leeches  Crawlers I get most of mine after a good hard rain on a couple back blacktop roads that are loaded doesn't take long. Be setup for bait for a while even if bait stores are closed . 

I've often thought about trying the leech catching thing...…...but not if I have to do it before its light out!!!!!!🥴

great info by the way. I've been trying really hard to fish plastics most of the time, but I do like having some meat along just in case. with the amount of bait I use.....i'll support the fellers that sell and get it!!!!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IT Guy
      By IT Guy
      To the other Helix users.  I have a Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2 that I am having down imaging issues with.  I am sure it is a user error.  I have a lot of clutter on the screen.  Basically a horizontal line of clutter at every foot and the detail level is terrible.  I understand it is not a Mega unit but this lack of detail and clutter is not helpful at all.  I am on the newest software (2.000) and was having the same problem before updating the software.  I can switch to a regular sonar view and see fish and switch back to DI and do not see anything.  The only way to get that horizontal clutter to disappear is to take the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 and then I can't see anything anyway.  It is not networked, nothing else in use and transducer is off the back of the boat.

Do I need to make some other adjustment or selections besides sensitivity, contrast, etc.?  I have tried just about everything but am not having a great deal of luck and have gone back to default setting.  Pics attached from last weekend from a very clear lake with about 6 feet of clear visibility.

Thank you for the help!

• Borch
      By Borch
      Click here to see photos and vote.
    • Daniel Hayes
      By Daniel Hayes
      looking to try cut bait for catfishing. Usual use nightcrawlers or stink bait, but am looking to filter the Rockbass and small cats. 
      I'm gunna buy a couple decoy suckers and use. But am wondering how to humanely kill and cut up? Or do I just cut umm alive while flopping like a serial killer?
    • flx
      By flx
      Any spots around Farmington to set up nice crayfish spots? Or any spots around here? 
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      The other boats I've owned had the bow roller positioned so the roller hits the keel when the boat is snubbed up, not the bow eye.

• SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      I'm located in the Cities, but if anyone on the Vermilion forum (or around the metro) has one of those swim platforms that isn't being used, I am in the market.
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      New 2020 1875 Pro Guide. Helix 12 Mega SI graph. Can't read bottom when up on plane. I was going to adjust the transducer and this is what I found. Isn't the first rule in transducer placement to put it where there is "clean", undisturbed water flow?? It is below the bottom of the boat, maybe too far. It's a side imaging transducer so I feel the riggers wanted it close to the center of the boat. Where have others placed a side imaging transducer and have it read bottom when up on plane? I don't think you can move it closer to the center line. If you move it to the left of it's current position, the is the power strake in the front 1/3 of the boat. Any help is appreciated!!

• Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      New 2020 boat. Livewell is leaking into the boat. Upon further review I found the leak. It's on the white fitting of the recirculation system where the water goes back into the livewell. I'm sure the rigger broke the little nipple on the right side when he installed the fuel/water separating filter as the gray gas line is right there. My question is where does the tubing from the little nipple go? The front livewell?

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Has anybody used these Felpro washers? My kid's Corollas oem washer is coated aluminum. This Felpro is a synthetic material. I mistakenly ordered it from Rock Auto. Not a big loss if I chuck them and get the oem ones. OEM on the left. Felpro on the right.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• IT Guy
      Sorry - Not close to it right now.  Everything is factory default at this point except some color selection, depth highlights, low battery alarm and SI distance to 70 ft.  I was wondering if I should change the transducer setting or kHz setting but that does not seem right.
    • rundrave
      can you provide some screen shots or more info of your menu options and how you have everything set up at the time you took that pic?
    • Standard
      Fished Huntington lake on Memorial weekend.  Within the first 20 minutes my buddy pulled in a monster largemouth, but pretty slow the rest of the day.  Picked up a few smaller bass.  Saw a Northern just chilling by the surface, looked to be around the 30" mark but couldn't get him to bite.     Didn't get a chance to fish the other lakes in the area.  Beautiful lakes to be on, though.  Water clarity is unreal, we were watching the loons chasing fish underwater.
    • IT Guy
      LoonASea - Thanks, I have been looking at the tutorials but I can't figure this out.  I also spent 1.5 hours on hold yesterday with HB without ever getting through.   I did speak with HB tech support awhile ago and their advice was to go back to default setting which it did.
    • MNredneck
      I am going to cuyuna in a coule weeks and I am planning do do a little bit of fishing but am not much of a trout fisherman. Do the northerns and bass in the mine lakes have any size to them?
    • LoonASea
      Lots of good tutorals  on YouTube ,,, Or call Humminbird tech support 
    • IT Guy
      To the other Helix users.  I have a Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2 that I am having down imaging issues with.  I am sure it is a user error.  I have a lot of clutter on the screen.  Basically a horizontal line of clutter at every foot and the detail level is terrible.  I understand it is not a Mega unit but this lack of detail and clutter is not helpful at all.  I am on the newest software (2.000) and was having the same problem before updating the software.  I can switch to a regular sonar view and see fish and switch back to DI and do not see anything.  The only way to get that horizontal clutter to disappear is to take the sensitivity down to 1 or 2 and then I can't see anything anyway.  It is not networked, nothing else in use and transducer is off the back of the boat.   Do I need to make some other adjustment or selections besides sensitivity, contrast, etc.?  I have tried just about everything but am not having a great deal of luck and have gone back to default setting.  Pics attached from last weekend from a very clear lake with about 6 feet of clear visibility.   Thank you for the help!
    • CigarGuy
      Me too. Just got up here and want to go out fishing!
    • delcecchi
      Speaking of nice breeze, I wish the howling wind would let up.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Raven77 - I sent you an email

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.