• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

huntnfish

I am starting to collect more and more Muskie lures. What is everyone’s go to colors for fishing muskies in MN? 

Edited by huntnfish
dutchboy II

I like black & white with a touch of red around the gills for a crankbait.

Black & Orange seems to be a good Bucktail color.

My #1 spoon for trolling Pike and Muskie is.................................sorry, can't tell ya.  🤪

ANYFISH2

Natural colors, Browns, black, and orange have been the go to colors for the lakes and river here around Morrison County.

I will say I don't fish Muskies much anymore, so things could have changed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • AlexKempston
      By AlexKempston
      Has anyone caught any muskie/musky on any of the Horseshoe/Sauk River Chain of Lakes this year? 
    • Wanderer
      By Wanderer
      Opener 2020 tomorrow - anyone here going out?  Heck with the full moon tonight this weekend should be really good.  If I get to spend some time out it’ll be in central MN.  The river maybe, or Alexander.  Shamineau is on my list this year as I’ve never fished it at all.  Plenty of lakes to try.  

I’d like to see what you guys are pulling in this year!  Hear some stories or good advice!  I hope to have some to share.
    • Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      I've had an old rapala cd-18 since I was a little guy and the wife has hung it on the wall and won't let me fish with it anymore. Just wondering if anybody knows a store i can go find this at. I've been to the Cabela's in Rogers and owatanna both, sportsman's Warehouse in coon rapids and about every Walmart bait shop and gas station I've stopped at with no luck. Really miss using this lure as it is the most productive thing I've used outside a 3 inch red and white spoon.
    • huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      Very interesting article regarding diets of muskies and other game fish. I was surprised that the percentage of walleye eaten by musky was as low as it was. 

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/5040992-What-are-muskies-eating-in-Miltona-Local-lake-part-of-Minnesota-diet-study-on-four-major-game-fish
    • dutchboy II
      By dutchboy II

What is your personal best Minnesota Pike? Were you targeting Pike when you caught it?

Mine is 42" from a shallow lake North of me. It was very skinny for a 42" fish. I caught it while fishing for Bass on a spinnerbait. Water was very warm and unfortunately I wasn't able to revive it. I contrast that to a 42" Pike caught in Canada trolling. That fish absolutely stopped the bait on the strike.

Learned a very good lesson that day. Always have a decent size net in the boat, the fish don't know what species you are after.
    • FatFishie
      By FatFishie
      2013 Ranger 1850

This is the cleanest 2013 multi sport fishing boat that you’ll find. Powered by a Yamaha 150 four stroke, this is a great performing boat. The interior, exterior, motor and trailer are in awesome condition. Features include:

Ranger Custom Trailer w/spare tire.
      Yamaha 150 four stroke.
      Minn Kota 80 Terrova trolling motor w/iPilot.
      Lowrance HDS 7 & HDS 5 depth/fish finders.
      Onboard 2 bank battery charger.
      Large Livewell.
      Bait Livewell.
      12+ rod locker.
      AM/FM/CD Stereo.
      4 swivel seats.
      2 flip on seat.
      Snap in carpet.
      Ranger custom travel cover.
      Swim ladder.
      Ski pylon.
      Removable bow cushions
      Built in cooler
      Interior LED courtesy lights
      Lots of storage

I’m sure there are things that I’ve missed in the above list of options. This is the perfect fishing boat, and can easily double as a family runabout for skiing, tubing and cruising around.

Boat is located in Detroit Lakes MN.  Please call or text for more information. 701-371-509nine

• huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      Last summer was my first foray into the Muskie world. My 7 year old and I were out bass fishing (his favorite because of the casting) when he had a Muskie follow his bait to the boat. This wasn’t our first encounter with a Muskie. We’ve seen probably 8-10 in the last 3 years with one being a giant that was following my trolling motor while fishing walleyes.  After that last encounter he wanted to give it a try. I picked up a couple cheap Muskie rods and repurposed a bass reel with decent capacity and an old round reel I bought for catfish. I also picked up a giant net that I could also use to fish 2-3 drunk adults out of a lake at a time. I spooled my sons reel with 60lb braid because of capacity and mine with 80. I then sent a text to Scoot to pick his brain and hoped he’d give me a little insight into the world of muskies. He came through and even let me borrow a few lures to get started. I had no idea what I was doing and he helped a lot and got me excited about it. 

Our first time out i am casting out one side of the boat and my son out the other. We are in the area of the most recent Muskie sighting our last time out. My son is pitching a top water that scoot sent with me and I’m throwing a spinner. About 45 minutes in my son yells there’s one following my lure but he stops reeling. When I turned around all I saw was a boil in the water. I asked him if he was sure it was a Muskie and I could tell by the look on his face that it was something big. He just says yeah and sits down on the bow of the boat. I tell him to get casting again and get her and he just says not yet. I’m just going to rest for a minute. We didn’t boat any muskies last summer but still had fun. It’s a nice change of pace once the water warms and walleye fishing slows. I caught a handful or northerns but they were all pretty small. It’s crazy how anything that hits your bait when you’re chucking giant lures and holding a pool cue makes your heart skip a beat. 

Our first time out I realized that old reel wasn’t going to cut it with the low gear ratio. It was a lot of cranking to get any blades going on the bait I was throwing but used it for the summer on the half dozen times we went out. This (kind of) spring I’ve been thinking fishing. I normally fish walleye with some bass and crappie mixed in but I keep going back to that dam Muskie! I decided I’m upgrading my reel and going to start the collecting of Muskie lures. I had seen prices of lures but quickly learned that they’re also very proud of Muskie reels. 

I am partial to Abu Garcia reels for some reason and picked up a Toro Beast reel to replace the old POS that I tried out last year with a 6.4-1 gear ratio. I’m thinking I’ll be a little happier with cranking this one than the old one.  

I dont really have any question of any sort or looking for any advice but this warmer weather has me thinking fishing. Just sitting here thinking about my now 8 year old hoisting his first Muskie and hopefully me getting my hands on one as well. Anyone else ready for some soft water? 

Also, I’m thinking that the hardest part about musky fishing isn’t all the casting and standing. It’s actually finding somewhere to store that dam giant net where you aren’t stepping on it or your kid is snagging it. 
    • Finns
      By Finns
      https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/watch-ice-fisherman-pulls-50-pound-fish-through-tiny-hole/ar-BB10DHtn?li=BBnba9I#image=4
    • Dakota Loing
      By Dakota Loing
      Hey I was curious to see if there were any active fishing clubs near whitebear lake or forest lake 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.