• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Gear 2020

Tom Sawyer

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

That looks like a buzz bait anglers dream. Talk about burning!

Edited by IceHawk

I was wondering what direction this was going yesterday? I didn't want my fingers slapped by eyeguy for going off topic!!!!!??

so really how many rods and reels does one really need? I know that's not a good question to ask here!!!!!!? but my wife and I have 6 each winter rods in a rod box, and we both have 4 summer rods for various applications...….unless something breaks or wears out I can justify having more.

and those baitcasters………………. all I see are rats nests...….if I use one...……...don't ask why I know!!!!!!!!?

• Yayyyy 2

Number of rods ? Good question. I  probably carry 10+ in the boat at all times. Another 5 or 6 back at the camper and maybe 10? at home. I dunno.

I somehow got suckered into spinning reels by the roughfish (Walleye) guys I hang around with. Otherwise I'm loaded with baitcasters and linecounters. The two problems with teaching guys how to use a baitcaster is....

1) They don't understand adjusting the spool tension each time they change baits.

2) They are to stubborn to learn.

I can teach anybody who really wants to learn how to fish one in 30 minutes or less.  ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

I was wondering what direction this was going yesterday? I didn't want my fingers slapped by eyeguy for going off topic!!!!!??

Don't worry he already did it himself today again on the Dutch Boys best Pike not Ski post??

Boy that's a tough question Smurf. It all depends your style and species your after and seriously how much of a budget you have to spend and go nuts with. Personally for myself I own 28 summer rod reel combos. Do I need that many heck NO!! I am a multi species fisherman and competed in Tourneys  and still do on occasion for a few years so my arsenal is loaded. Serious  Bass fisherman probably have more than most guys. But for eyes I have a few 7 ft rigging rigging combos  slip bobber combos  couple leadcore setups,  and line counters. custom jig rapping rods it goes on and on and adds up. But to answer to go out and catch fish smurf you really don't need that many but for different applications it will improve your success ? I would say its more of a addiction bad habit and definitely overkill to some extent! ?

Edited by IceHawk
  • Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Oh look, a squirrel!!!!!  ??

• Yayyyy 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Between rods salmon, catfish, walleye, panfish I've got a bunch.  Think I have 11 salmon rods alone for copper, downriggers, lead core and dipsey/slide divers. 

Probably should downsize some as I haven't used most of my cat rods for years now but have lent them out for guys who go sturgeon fishing in the spring.  I have several baitcasters that I don't use much anymore as I've added more linecounters for trolling and bottom bouncers.  So my older rods sit back at home a lot.  

• Thumbs Up 1

We each have rods for panfish, nords and eyes, there a tad rusty.? not to mention we each have a flyrod. That's enough. Only got so much storage room.

• I Like it 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, smurfy said:

We each have rods for panfish, nords and eyes, there a tad rusty.? not to mention we each have a flyrod. That's enough. Only got so much storage room.

If you sold a dozen or 2 of those knives you don't use you'd have more room.??

• Yayyyy 2

9 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

If you sold a dozen or 2 of those knives you don't use you'd have more room.??

not happening my friend!!!!!!!!??

• Wow, ❤ 1

I got a revo rocket last year for my flipping stick.  I bet I get 100 (maybe more) extra flips in an 8hr tournament because I don't waste time getting my jig back to the boat.  Prob get another for my deep water jig rod this year.  You'll love that reel

As for how many rods a guy needs... I carry 2 or 3 for every presentation I'm going to use that day.   Different weights and colors for each

• Thumbs Up 2

I have about 10 summer and as many for winter can't imagine needing much more than that.  Having said that...maybe one more?

I have only used baitcasters for salmon fishing / trolling / line counting never for casting.  Always thought it would be fun to try but as smurfy alluded to I think the rat nets would drive me crazy as I am trying to figure it out.  My bro in law talked about some with magnets to reduce backlash, though they look pretty expensive.  Do they work and are they worth it for preventing backlash?  Or would something like the rocket be as good a bet?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, smurfy said:

so really how many rods and reels does one really need?

As many as is necessary.  I don't care to constantly re-tie so I keep at least several setups (both bait casting and spinning) readily available.  What works for slip bobber setup or jigging won't work for tossing a frog in the slop or slinging bulldawgs for muskies.

On 4/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, dutchboy II said:

he two problems with teaching guys how to use a baitcaster is....

1) They don't understand adjusting the spool tension each time they change baits.

2) They are to stubborn to learn.

This is exactly true.  People think that they can pick one up and master it in a few minutes.  When they get a back lash, they give up.  Even people that use bait casters for years and years still get back lashes on occasion.  Its part of using them.  A versatile angler has both of them in his arsenal and applies them to the specific presentation that works best.  And the more versatile an angler is, the more success they will have.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

to reply to something Whateverisbiting stated, some baitcasters are expensive, but the more they cost, the more joy you will have using them, the more expensive ones are more forgiving. That said, there are some very expensive spinning reels as well. As for my new gear, I am like a moth to a flame when the new lures come out. Eleven rods on the deck, eleven different lures to wave in a fishes face. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I built a new pink slip bobber rod for a birthday gift for my wife.  Now I'm working a trolling rod build for myself.  After the birthday gift she mentioned she'd like a vikings themed rod.  The fedex guy dropped of the required supplies for that one in a 7' light power fast action in metalic purple.   Should he ready by mother's day.  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

The Revo rockets are really nice not sure if I would use it enough.

For rods I have 2 bait casters Abu Revo SX 6-1 and 7-3 roughly gear ratio.

2 spinning rods I usually have 4 baitcasters and 3 spinning reels in the boat any more it's just a mess and if I cant have it with me I don't need it.

Hoping to get  2 more bait casters I fish bass 95% and I double the spinning rods for pan fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

enough rods?  is there such a thing?  I have more than a few.  4 counter reel/ rod setups for trolling, 4 med action spinning rods for when bass or cast for northerns, 4-5 med-lite rod/reel combos for walleyes, and 4-6 lite action rods for panfish.  got a different lengths in the m/l and light for different applications.  I keep adding to the arsenal as I have 2 boys that will be needing rods as they grow into using them more. My oldest is to the point that he can handle the rods that I use, and he will be joining me more on the walleye outings. 

• Yayyyy 1