• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

dutchboy II

With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I hit Mill Lacs once a summer but it's not a real big deal to miss it. More than likely wont even go this year. Wish I could but may not even have that option with this stuff going on now.   I have lakes near my area that always produce good results if you put in the time to figure them out. Ill fish locally as I almost always  do through the summer just way easier with my hectic work schedule. Many people would be surprised how good of fishing they have close to them if they would only put in the effort and time to learn the lakes near them. Agree with all these bad years with the regulations and now this sad but true some of the mom pop resorts just wont make it to much longer.

• Thanks 1

I hear ya on fishing locally. I only like big water, not for the fish but because I get tired of going round & round like a NASCAR. Also have a very low tolerance for jet ski's, water skiers, speed boats.

Fishing is just something I do while on the water, not the reason I go.

• Yayyyy 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I know where your coming from always on the water well before sunrise and usally of by 10 or so.  My  buddies always say we know your off the lake and the boats loded as soon as we see the first jet ski or water skier. ? Problem so many are so inconsiderate now a days. They see I'm walleye fishing and its like a game to go right by me when they have the whole open part of the lake to tear up. ? 

• Wow, ❤ 1

I don't think the Regulations with effect people coming to the lake to fish.   Mille lacs has been plenty busy over the last decade of less ideal regulations.

I suppose some people are not staying at resorts here, and launch service numbers are down, but the angler effort is still there. 

Seems everyone has a 18ft boat that can handle big water now a days, and all the electronics you want.  People are more likely to drive to and back home as of late.

I know a number if people that complain about the regs on Mille lacs but still go a number of times each year because the fishing is fun there for numbers and size.  

The tourism business is fine, if your business model fits today's traveling angler.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.

I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.

As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Monster1234
      By Monster1234
      The guy told me this was custom and he payed $150 way back. 83” long 7” wide. Could this be the Brainerd spear?

• DocBob
      By DocBob
      I’ve ice fished Lake of the Woods for 30 years.  I’ve recently purchased a cabin in Beaver Bay and I’m looking for a place to ice fish, somewhat nearby with 2 buddies.  We need to rent a fish house and I’m looking for suggestions.
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      The season was short due to the border closure but Rainy Lake never disappoints. It was great to be back on the lake again.
    • MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      I randomly have some weekdays off from work and no parenting requirements... would like to go up to Lake of the Woods/Rainy River and drop some lines. Was going to try to hop onto a charter boat as a +1, but apparently they're all shutting down mid-October this year. Anyone likely to be going out on the water sometime Oct 21-23 and maybe has an empty seat?
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Spent the weekend at Vacationland, Otttertail. Lake level down almost 3 feet so only one landing with enough water to launch a boat. With 20 to 30 MPH winds and 3 to 4 ft. waves we chose to fish surrounding smaller lakes. Had great time Catch & Release Bass fishing. My prise money fish was a sunfish.

My giant "Ottertail Money Sunfish" he looks sorta small cause I have very large hands and I held him a long way from the camera. He did put up a good fight. He is still swimming.

• Bvickers
      By Bvickers
      Bring some friends up to Vermilion around Oct 16th this year. They are dead set on crappie fishing. I know no one here will say where to go crappie fishing, but I have an idea and they don't mind a day on the water hunting for a school. Just wondering if the bite is there that time of year to make chasing worth the effort. I usually drag them trolling for trout and they want something that's a little more exciting.
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      Living in SW Minneapolis, and have gotten back into fishing after many years away (guess COVID was good for something). I mostly fish in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Calhoun) and other urban lakes because I can get to 'em and get out on the water under pure human power (not opposed to electrics or real boats, just can't afford 'em). Most times out I'll get bass or northerns... but no dang walleye, despite all the fry that DNR pours in there. In fact, I've been living in Minnesota for 3 years now, and from the BWCA to the southern lakes, I have never gotten a walleye to bite, be it leech, jig, dropshot, or crankbait. Which tells me I need to quit trying on my own and get on the water with somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty flexible about timing; can even do some weekdays if we plan in advance. Would love to meet others who fish my local lakes, but at this point, I'll happily travel to learn the mysteries of the 'eyes. If you're looking for another partner or just like to spin yarns, I'll listen and bring along some brews and gas money for your troubles.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Look at getting the extension for the drill it’s a back saver 
    • monstermoose78
      The points are great my 6 inch bit that came with my clam plate set up is awesome as is the light flight 8 inch I have
    • monstermoose78
      I like Berkeley micro ice mono 3 pound test in grey for panfish and 4 pound for my perch and eye rods.
    • fishingstar
      don't tell my wife I would have to explain what happened to her
    • Troy Smutka
      Wanderer,      I have a mixed spread of goose floaters. In the picture Parker is wrapping up a Dakota Honker, but I also have Dakota Lessers, Avian X, Final Approach, and Greenhead Gear floaters for a spread with a wide variety of sizes, body positions, and head positions. Sentries, swimmers, greeters, actives, drinkers, resters, and sleepers, depending on the brand.
    • Troy Smutka
      Finish to the 2021 season was relatively slow, much like the first half. We did get some nice flocks of ringers to work the decoys, and some new mallards showed up and were somewhat cooperative. Finally got our first nice flock of bluebills to pitch right in to the decoys on our last day on the water. Once most water started to freeze, we finished the season in a field near my Dad's over Thanksgiving break. On one day we got several groups of mallards to drop right in and nearly land on our A-Frame blind, plus a goose. One other day we got a pair of geese to center up nicely over the decoys. Decent end to the season. With my son shooting one shell for his first season shooting, he got first crack at singles, and when multiples came in my Dad shot, while I backed up Parker first, then took one bird if he folded his clean. This led to fewer birds harvested than a typical season, but seeing my son take his next step as a hunter and harvest almost thirty ducks and three geese was well worth taking fewer shots than normal myself. My Dad was able to harvest near normal for him for a season, and Parker is getting the nicest bull can in the pictures mounted. I will be back in the fishing report clubs as soon as there is enough ice to get out on safely. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • smurfy
      so.....where are all the guys from this area at???????? like they left for good!!!!!!!!!!! Kettle??????? ProV???????? Gunner.well he is from iowa!!!!!!!!🤣
    • Rivergroup
      The wives/girlfriends would love to read this conversation!!!
    • Mike89
      sorry but I had to laugh!!   somethings we just have laugh at ourselves after the fact!!!  🤣
    • fishingstar
      I had to adjust both my garage doors springs to open my doors further. I was going to mount a light bar on mine for ice fishing but now i don't think I can. You also need watch out for the rope for the release. I closed it in my door and closed the garage as I backed out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.