• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

dutchboy II

With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  

• Thanks 1

IceHawk

I hit Mill Lacs once a summer but it's not a real big deal to miss it. More than likely wont even go this year. Wish I could but may not even have that option with this stuff going on now.   I have lakes near my area that always produce good results if you put in the time to figure them out. Ill fish locally as I almost always  do through the summer just way easier with my hectic work schedule. Many people would be surprised how good of fishing they have close to them if they would only put in the effort and time to learn the lakes near them. Agree with all these bad years with the regulations and now this sad but true some of the mom pop resorts just wont make it to much longer.

• Thanks 1

dutchboy II

I hear ya on fishing locally. I only like big water, not for the fish but because I get tired of going round & round like a NASCAR. Also have a very low tolerance for jet ski's, water skiers, speed boats.

Fishing is just something I do while on the water, not the reason I go.

• Yayyyy 1

IceHawk

I know where your coming from always on the water well before sunrise and usally of by 10 or so.  My  buddies always say we know your off the lake and the boats loded as soon as we see the first jet ski or water skier. 😀 Problem so many are so inconsiderate now a days. They see I'm walleye fishing and its like a game to go right by me when they have the whole open part of the lake to tear up. 😡 

• Wow, ❤ 1

ANYFISH2

I don't think the Regulations with effect people coming to the lake to fish.   Mille lacs has been plenty busy over the last decade of less ideal regulations.

I suppose some people are not staying at resorts here, and launch service numbers are down, but the angler effort is still there. 

Seems everyone has a 18ft boat that can handle big water now a days, and all the electronics you want.  People are more likely to drive to and back home as of late.

I know a number if people that complain about the regs on Mille lacs but still go a number of times each year because the fishing is fun there for numbers and size.  

The tourism business is fine, if your business model fits today's traveling angler.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

gimruis

I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.

I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.

As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got out on Fathers day with the Kayak down the Mississippi River for some good ole Smallmouth Bass action. River was low which made a great float and the smallies were hungry! They just couldn't resist the wacky worm once again. We have such an amazing fishery here in MN, glad to call this state home.  Enjoy. 

• Joe
      By Joe
      The Leech Lake walleyes are on the move and our guides have been chasing them! With a recent fly hatch and some heat moving in this week has been a grind but we are still finding limits. A few keys to putting fish in the boat have been the location, the presentation and the wind.

Most of our fish have been on Sucker bay and the main lake. Duck point, Ottertail point and Stoney point have all been good and putting out fish. We have been focusing on the 11-14 feet of water and covering ground has been important. Both Duck and Ottertail points have nice break lines that top out around 8 and bottom at 20, which, is what we have been focusing on. Try to run your boat along the break line and make note of where the fish tend to be. If they are on the top of the break fish there and likewise for the deeper water.

Our presentation of choice, when the wind allows it, has been bottom bouncers with spinners. Gold, pink and white, and green have all been getting the Leech Lake walleye guide fish in the boat. Try to run these at 1.3-1.8 mph with just enough line out to “bounce off the bottom.”

The wind has been a nice advantage the past few days. Use the wind to push your boat along the desired path for a nice easy drift. As stated above the places we have been focusing on are actually in the same area but with different layouts. this allows you to make sure you are fishing in the waves and not in flat calm water. As you may know, leech is very clear so on a flat calm and sunny day it can be tough. Find the waves and find the action.

We do still have some openings for July yet. Give us a call to see what we have open. https://leechlakeguideservice.com

Dennis Carlson with his Biggest walleye 27 inches. Caught on a green spinner rig
    • Bmiller1981
      By Bmiller1981
      Hey everyone,
      Normally I don’t ask for help but I’ve been skunked last three summers on Side lake / Sturgeon Lake Chain for walleye.  I’ve spent most time on Big Sturgeon and Side for eyes but have come up short. I’m heading up for a long weekend and hoping to change my luck with some advice.  I’d appreciate anything as it’s been a grind... thanks !!
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Nice spots that are difficult to get to for shore fishing but accessible in a kayak or canoe? I've exhausted the shore fishing options and got a kayak to get out there. Info appreciated for any lakes within the metro but am primarily focused on ones easily accessed WITHIN the city, not the distant suburbs. Thanks!
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Recommendations for good kayak fishing in Minneapolis or St Paul (NOT a far drive, I live downtown but love the outdoors, so accessibility is key). Species doesn't matter a whole lot, love it all - bass, walleye, northern, musky. I'm aware of where I can get to with a kayak, but am curious if anyone is willing to share something a bit more precise from their personal experience in a kayak or boat. Thanks!
    • Well_Read_Redneck
      By Well_Read_Redneck
      The Largemouths have been biting more and more on Lake O'dowd in Shakopee.

I landed this dude at around 8:30 last night in about 4-7 feet of water using a Berkley plastic worm on a Texas Rig.

Lots of fun catching him from my kayak

The ruler is a little blurry, but I marked him at right around 17 inches.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• delcecchi
      Finally got back out in the boat.  Water temp had gone to 84 degrees from 73 a week ago..
    • delcecchi
      Sure looks like a boat..
    • monstermoose78
      My dad and brother smashed the walleyes yesterday on Tom Lake they caught 27 walleyes and kept their limit of 16-18 inchers. No photos from them yet
    • Borch
      Hope everyone has a fun and 4th July!  
    • james_walleye
      What you guys think? Someone sunk a boat? 
    • smurfy
      3rd dat!!! 👍
    • Mike89
      2nd that!!!  
    • Kettle
      Happy Independence Day to my fellow FM friends! 🇺🇲 🦅
    • Wanderer
      Yah, sometimes it’s hard to get info about city fishing when most of us try to get AWAY from the city! 😄   I read your post a few days ago and only thought of the river, Minnehaha Creek (both already mentioned) or the City Chain of Lakes. I used to trailer my bass boat to Calhoun or Bde Maka Ska and trolling motor the whole lake and sometimes into Lake of the Isles.  We always picked up nice bass on the weed lines and an occasional muskie.  My best bass was a 6-4 but we always caught at least one 5 lbs along with multiple 3’s and 4’s.  I never spent enough time on Harriet to figure it out.   The River can be fished in sections.  Just pick one.  Some of the harbor and island areas were always good for white bass and smallies.  Look for rip rap.  My favorite bait was a small bomber model A with clear sides and chrome middle to emulate the shad.  Occasionally I’d tie into some channel cats or even a stout flathead.
    • Salsballs93
      Although I appreciate the replies and any effort because I know it's good faith, they're not of much use. As originally posted, this is really looking to withIN Minneapolis / St Paul.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.