• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.

Mark Jurgensen

Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.

• I Like it 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @Mark Jurgensen.

Been years since I fished it. It's pretty much a bowl except a small submerged hump kinda south. The lake does produce nice fish but can be difficult due to lack of structure or anything to hold fish.

Yhe hump is small and heavily pressured.

So just get out and move around until you find them.

Trolling works.

Mark Jurgensen

New to the area and recently divorced so no boat the time.  Is fishing from the shore by the park on the south side a good place to start?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As good as any if the wind is somewhat blowing into it.

• 1 month later...
JstanK

Get any crappie? 

Supposedly they've been on a tear as of late but you might have to do some sorting.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
Well_Read_Redneck

Cedar Lake (New Prague Area) is a great fishing spot when the bite is on.

Species diversity is great; walleyes, largemouth bass, perch, sunnies, crappies, catfish, and a few muskies.  My wife caught her personal best largemouth bass off the fishing pier a few years ago, and a tiger muskie in the same area.

The fishing pier at the park on the south end gives you good results, but the Three Rivers Parks officers will kick you out at local sunset.

You can fish at night and a lot of times when the sun goes down you have the lake to yourself.  Just remember where the rock marker buoy is in the middle of the lake (off the point); it can be creepy motoring along at idle trying to figure out where that thing is in near total darkness, especially after the moon has set and light fog is starting to rise.

Edited by Well_Read_Redneck
  • I Like it 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      Just a heads up. Ice conditions, and specifically access points have deteriorated rapidly since last weekend. I think our days of driving on to all but a few of our area lakes has come to an end for the season. I have been spending my week in the Annandale and Richmond areas. Most of the access points that are on hills with runoff or have south facing shoreline are gonna take a beating first.  
      The good news is, there is still plenty of ice on the lakes, although they are starting to get sloppy..... and the panfish are starting their yearly push toward the shallows. 
      Stay safe and good luck this weekend!!!
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Anyone been by the Big Trout landing up by Cross Lake, MN in the past week.  Wonder how it's holding up? 
    • BobT
      By BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      To renew your Fishing license before going out...New ones were due March 1... Also going into effect March 1
      New sunfish regs on Horseshoe chain..  Possession limit is now 10 fish.  Long overdue in my opinion ♥️

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have noticed that East of Adrian's rd after crossing pine Island a mile or so is a second road that runs closer to the border. Anyone know who it belongs to, there seems to be a great deal of traffic on it and I have looked to see if it comes off Adrian's but can't find how to access it. Does sportmans have one out that way?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      momma insisted on heading out to Dino's for there sunday brunch, so of course that meant a drive past the lakes. the ice is starting to turn dark. noone at the river access and becker looked abondoned, so did horseshoe for that matter. there where a few out from the landing on eden lake, but there were 4 trucks out on cedar island..just where the lake opens up. there goofy!!!   there was 1 small vehicle out on long and a few wheelers on the south end but noone out by the island by cozy's.  browns had some wheelers out.
    • smurfy
      i figured it be close to go time for you!!!! and with global warming you might just get to ice fish 1 month a year soon!!!!!!!🤣   me...i'm leaving wednesday morning for the northland!!!!!!🤭🤫 got 4-5 maybe 6 different lakes on my hit list!!!!!!👍 then i think i'll call it a hard water season!
    • Wanderer
      The 30.20 barometer probably didn’t help much.  But it also might be worth trying shallower?   10 feet seemed to be good in the past week on a few lakes and have read here that even shallower has been doing well for some.
    • Wanderer
      I went out of the Federal Dam landing yesterday on Gull.  It was in good shape and we had 22 inches of ice where we fished.  I thought about going out again this afternoon but wind gusts to 25 don’t thrill me on bigger lakes with no real snow cover.
    • Wanderer
      I’ve only fished Kab once but I can imagine it behaves a lot like other shield lakes.  Try to spend time near current and use large baits; either live or artificial.  I’d never go pike fishing in that area without some F18 Rapalas.  The good old Original Floater in silver/black back being a top color choice.
    • knoppers
      well nothing is biting, I did catch 2 very small perch in 15 FOW, had all kinds of activity in deeper water, but no takers. my locator would lite up with fish, but nothing bites.
    • IceHawk
      It's just about go time smurf 😀 I didn't wish for this weather but there won't b any complaints about it for sure. Been a great ice season but honestly ready for it to be over. I  plan on picking up the boat soon getting it ready and doing a little pool 4 fishing and maybe a rainy river run yet. Probably got a couple ice outings left next week maybe some last minute runs to ottertail county. Had a epic day with some buds today locally, fish were right under the ice was a blast 👍
    • smurfy
      rumor has it an ATV went thru on Pokegama by grand rapids..........sounds like the guy made it out ok. not sure how accurate it is?????
    • PSU
    • FrazerBay
      let me know if you get a hold of them.Maybe they can can come back and finish the job they started 4 years ago on my boathouse after getting half the money upfront

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.