• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time on this site.  I’m from Prior Lake Mn, I am looking for private property to Turkey hunt on this coming April, will travel up to 1 hour away.  I don’t know anyone in the area and with this Covid-19 happening this  is why I’m reaching out otherwise I would be knocking on doors.  I am 57 yrs old, responsible, law abiding.  Please if you possibly have any leads PM me.  Thank you for your time and good hunting.

• I Like it 1
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

I agree knocking on some doors would of been the best option but not right now unfortunately. I have 4 private pieces I hunt but took years to seal deal on those properties. There definitely is private spots out there wish I could help but up in my area most of the private turkey grounds or at least choice are spoken for. There are some good public options out there if you do some research. Few friends kill birds every year on public. Watch hunt the public on youtube those boys get it done on public all the time in different states. 👍ONX hunt app is real helpful or a Hunting fishing Atlas. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Rick

Welcome to FM @MJF.

Let us know how it goes.

Pics are great too.

Don't be a stranger.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

There is a lot of public land that hold huge numbers of turkeys you just have to search it out. I think you will struggle to get permission this year. I know I have found some great pieces of public land and they don’t seem to get much pressure. I like to find the little pieces of public land. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

With a little research you may be able to find public land options with little to lo pressure.  There is a lot of tax forfeited land out there that is open to public use.  If its outside city limits you can usually hunt it.

Also, even though the landowner permit program has been discontinued, it mat be worth it look up last years participants or those that got deer hunting landowner permits as they already have a history of letting people access their land to hunt.

I agree with Icehawk that the OnX hunt app can be very valuable  as it identifies who owns the land including the tax forfeited parcels. 

Finally, talk with freinds and family.   Having a person vouching for your character can really help getting into lands that others can't access by knocking on doors. 

• Thanks 1
Dave S
23 hours ago, IceHawk said:

I agree knocking on some doors would of been the best option but not right now unfortunately. I have 4 private pieces I hunt but took years to seal deal on those properties. There definitely is private spots out there wish I could help but up in my area most of the private turkey grounds or at least choice are spoken for. There are some good public options out there if you do some research. Few friends kill birds every year on public. Watch hunt the public on youtube those boys get it done on public all the time in different states. 👍ONX hunt app is real helpful or a Hunting fishing Atlas. 

MJF, I sent you a PM.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Troy Smutka
      By Troy Smutka
      This season got off to a slow start after my son got his first ever bird on his first youth opener. Parker's first shot at a duck or goose got him a ten pound Canada goose. Early regular season netted a few bluewing teal, wood ducks, and a mallard, but we weren't seeing as many birds in central MN as we usually do early in the season. With the cold fronts and even some snow lately, things have picked up with us decoying mallards, pintails, greenwing teal, shovelers, canvasbacks, ringnecks, redheads, and bluebills. Worried about an early freeze up with the current weather and forecasted weather, but we shall see. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.

• going4it
      By going4it
      Heading up this week to chase birds and wondering if the leaves are mostly down? Thank you for the info. 
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      Not sure if anyone else saw this but the statewide pheasant report was released by the DNR yesterday and its up 42% statewide.  Its the highest numbers in over a decade.  A mostly mild winter and a dry spring likely accounted for lower mortality and a good hatch.  There will be no shortage of birds...or hunters.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/pheasant/prospect_map.pdf
    • Brian Balzum
      By Brian Balzum
      I have a new Ruger GP100 6" barrel and I'm looking for the best cartridge for deer hunting? Max distance would be 30 - 40 yards
    • ANYFISH2
      By ANYFISH2
      Just heads up, if you haven't already heard.  Camp Ripley youth hunt has been cancelled for 2020. 
      Public hunts will not have a lottery, information and purchase dates will be released in August.  This allows for a easier cancelation of the hunts.

Thanks Covid.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I can’t find varmint loads any where, Any help? 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      Click here to see photos and vote.
    • Beinglis23
      By Beinglis23
      which Bait is best for rainbow and brown trout
    • PRO-V
      By PRO-V
      Had this girl show up in my yard last night.
      VID_20200512_200823184.mp4
    • PRO-V
      By PRO-V
      Had this moose come cruising into my yard 1 mile south of Grand Rapids last night. Stayed 45 minutes.
      VID_20200512_200823184.mp4
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      I appreciate it Darrell. Lucky for you my days of throwing punches are decades behind me!
    • FishinCT
      Fished Saturday through Monday on the east end. As Brian said it was brutal weather. Wind wasn’t so bad but the wet snow Saturday and below freezing temps Sunday and Monday made things difficult. Didn’t do well until Monday when we put together a 30+ fish day. Caught more than a limit worth of 14-17” fish. Kept just a couple for a meal. Lots of them in that 10-13 range which bodes well for next year.     Nothing special on the tactics. Caught most of them in one spot. Fish were scattered all over a big mud flat in between islands at 30-35 feet. Jig and lindy caught about the same number of fish. Jig caught a few more of the keeper size fish.    Fish were coughing up what looked like mayfly larvae. Is that common this time of year? Maybe it was something else?
    • MnCowboy
      You mention that if an archery hunter and firearms hunter are together they are considered 2 parties. Is that the same with crossbows, which use an archery tag. Would it be considered 2 parties (and obviously could not help fill each others tags)
    • chucker1101
      Only if you're crazy
    • Darrell Larson
      Skunked Again, heavy wet snow last night been shoveling it I'd say 3"+, what ice was there yesterday is now gone in front of my house anyways, more like a big slushy, 30' beyond is open water again. I have 44 degrees on the deck right now, you should be safe making a trip this weekend. If I'm wrong PM me I send you my address and you can come punch me in the nose.
    • mulefarm
    • DonBo
      Buddy and I were fishing just below Whalan last summer and he caught two keeper sized walleye on a Rappala.  We were pretty surprised.
    • SkunkedAgain
      It's not a very deep lake, so it is all relative. Most of the lake is 30-40ft deep so it is a relatively easy lake to fish from that standpoint. They aren't sliding any deeper than on a bright sunny day in July. There is also not much of a fall turnover to worry about.
    • ozzie
      Great to hear from you Dtro!  It is sad that the participation in forums like this is going by the wayside and it seems we are losing valued members constantly which is sad, but also the way of the world.  Great to hear you are succeeding in your latest adventure, but that does not surprise me, as following you for the past 15 years, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!  I enjoyed the news clip and the excitement on the young girls face as she reeled in her first sturgeon!  Keep doing what your doing and don't be a stranger!!   Take care and stay safe!  Ozzie 
    • smurfy
      came back to civilization this past sunday. was nice tuesday when i got there and got alot of cabin stuff done. wed it rained all day but managed to do inside stuff that needed doing. thursday i finished up yard stuff and did a little hunting. friday finally got 2 grouse 😊 them gonna be good!!!!!!!! sat the kid and i fixed up deer stands but holy moly rockey with that snow was it wet in the woods. finished winterizing the cabin.   for me the weather wasnt cooperative to fish, so......... until there is ice the fish are safe from me!!!!!😜 the deer need to worry though!!!! sure would be nice if this snow melted, the ground needs to freeze up some.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.