• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CCP Virus News and Observations

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

You might start a war with this thread. ?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
3 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

You might start a war with this thread. ?

Good point. Fixed.

14 minutes ago, Rick said:

Good morning to all . Rick I saw what your original post on what you stated and I see that you changed things up , hmmm , what ever , your opinion , my opinion I guess . I do respect though !

This is a new virus that’s only been known to be in existence for about 4 months and only China new about its existence for the first 1.5 months (approximately) with the rest of the world only knowing about its existence for about 2.5 months . Given all with this mess I think we would both agree that a lot has happened and a lot hasn’t happened in a very , very , very short time . At this point nobody knows all facts about it , even with the all the best scientists, epidemiologists , infectious disease docs or anybody else for that matter in the world. Yes the unknown can be and most definitely already is a frightening thing to mankind when it comes to this virus . With this I will remind all that until more facts , and data are studied , and trial and error procedures are implemented  that both good will be done and mistakes will most definitely be made , and hopefully at some point the world will learn just what does work and what doesn’t work to get a grip on this virus and it’s destruction to mankind around the world . At this point to error on the side of caution is really all that can be done given all the known and unknowns at this point , someday we will learn what was done wrong and right , will there be complications that were created from wrong , yes , Now with this said  does it sound like a better idea to not error on the side of caution ???  

• Thumbs Up 1

Even better......

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rahm-emanuel-reprises-never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste-catchphrase-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

The entire political focus of yesterday’s news cycle was the legislative imbroglio between Republicans and Democrats over the coronavirus rescue package. Republicans believe we should presuppose and even continue encouraging an indefinite shutdown while spending trillions to treat it. Democrats believe the same thing and also want to add all their other extraneous progressive policies too. But nobody is asking: Do we really need to intensify the shutdown before we understand the data and projections of the actual virus itself?

Edited by Tom Sawyer

Everything is a balance.  If we err on the conservative side and drive the word into a depression era state, there could be as many deaths associated with poverty.  So we need to be practical as well.  Seems like MN has been fairly practical so far, but as said before, this is going to generate a ton of data that will be leveraged for better decision making next time.  I see absolutely no issue with someone going fishing and hunting by themselves or with someone in their household; that will have zero impact on this pandemic as long as proper social distancing is practiced.  Have you seen the parks and walking paths lately?  If you want to yell at anyone, yell at them to maintain distance.

7 minutes ago, whateverisbiting said:

I see absolutely no issue with someone going fishing and hunting by themselves or with someone in their household; that will have zero impact on this pandemic as long as proper social distancing is practiced.  Have you seen the parks and walking paths lately?  If you want to yell at anyone, yell at them to maintain distance.

Not totally sure on the “zero impact” statement ,some just don’t get all about social distancing and proper disinfecting at this point. It is hard to yell at anybody to maintain distance when one just doesn’t know if they are family walking together or just friends walking together, these are all problematic situations with allowing this type of activity to happen in the first place , IMHO !

14 minutes ago, whateverisbiting said:

Have you seen the parks and walking paths lately?  If you want to yell at anyone, yell at them to maintain distance.

I have to imagine that a lot of outdoor recreational areas are going to be busier than normal, especially if the weather cooperates.  I think we're lucky to have a variety of outdoor recreational areas in MN so beggars can't be choosers.  Just think of what it would be like if you lived in a big densely populated city where there was limited outdoor access.

I do agree though, people need to be better about keeping their distance in all public settings right now.

4 minutes ago, Bigfatbert said:

or just friends walking together

That's prohibited under this order.  You can only recreate with people from the same household as you.  Not a friend or family member that doesn't live with you.  Hanging out with a friend outside of your own household would totally defeat the purpose of social distancing.  If you live alone, well, tough.  You're probably already used to it anyways.

Edited by gimruis

1 hour ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Even better......

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rahm-emanuel-reprises-never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste-catchphrase-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

The entire political focus of yesterday’s news cycle was the legislative imbroglio between Republicans and Democrats over the coronavirus rescue package. Republicans believe we should presuppose and even continue encouraging an indefinite shutdown while spending trillions to treat it. Democrats believe the same thing and also want to add all their other extraneous progressive policies too. But nobody is asking: Do we really need to intensify the shutdown before we understand the data and projections of the actual virus itself?

1 hour ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Even better......

our president is saying he would like to see a shutdown end or at least possibly somewhat be lightened by Easter ,to me that does not sound like a encouragement of a indefinite shutdown . Yes it’s a very optimistic suggestion on his part at this point but by no means is that etched in stone that the Easter date will indeed hold true .

I was out jogging yesterday watching people walk right past each other on a 3 foot wide path.  I went to the road to pass them.  Out fishing or hunting by yourself with your own equipment is a no-brainer no impact.  Viruses are quite fragile and cannot withstand exterior conditions very long.  Sunlight and dehydration are deadly for viruses.  Yes I am an expert.  This is my field.  I do know.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, whateverisbiting said:

Viruses are quite fragile and cannot withstand exterior conditions very long.  Sunlight and dehydration are deadly for viruses.

I am hopeful that it acts more like seasonal influenza and at least dissipates some during the warmer, summer months.  It would offer the medical field to prepare for potentially another tidal wave next winter and provide valuable time to come up with a vaccine and/or drug treatments.  People generally spend more time outside in the summer as well, so that simple behavior could help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scientifically speaking, yes it will slow down the infection rate as we progress into summer.  Another significant factor is the higher humidity indoors (low humidity makes our membranes more susceptible to infection).

However, if New Orleans is a window of the weather impact, then we need to be careful about being too optimistic.  Mardi Gras at the end of Feb led to a huge outbreak there and temps were mild.  Perhaps the way COVID-19 propagates will mean that weather is not the final answer.   Besides this example, I think some of the discrepancies you see in reporting on things like this is that some do not want to acknowledge that weather actually will help because psychologically that could lead to lower social distancing compliance.  On the other hand, those trying to prop up confidence in the economy may be overstating the weather impact.  This dynamic seems to be in effect for most issues surrounding COVID-19;  it creates a challenge for the average person to know what to believe.

When I say hunting and fishing is no impact, that assumes you are not driving a couple hours and interacting with people there at gas stations and grocery stores, and then coming home and doing the same.  Militant approaches to shelter in place is a precaution against people either not understanding how to social distance or they don't care.  As long as we are practice it effectively, we won't need to go there.

Two weeks ago I went to a specialty supply store.  There was a note to call a phone number, they will take your order and charge your card, then put your order on the loading dock.  That is effective (though giving your credit card number over the phone may lead to other problems but I know the people there).

We are able to go to grocery stores because we have to.  The cashiers should all be wearing gloves and masks.  Otherwise they are prime vectors for transmission.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

They closed the county roads leading to the 4 accesses on Koochiching County.

Fishing and hunting are still allowed.

Looking forward to you getting up here.

Hi rick , just curious about your statement of “looking forward to you getting up here” ..Maybe you are referring to when all this virus stuff is behind us . As I saw it ,it was the locals that were the driving force to get the rainy river accesses closed due to their fear of a sudden influx of non locals from god knows where coming there . I for one also 100% understand their thoughts and wants to have these accesses closed , and also kudos to whomever got the roads closed that lead into them as there is always some uninformed who would try to use them . I also see cook county issued a statement that basically says they too do not want non locals coming there to recreate , and the north shore communities are also saying they don’t want a influx of non locals flocking there either for the spring river runs . Unfortunately it’s  just a matter of time and more communities are going to follow suit and say Yankee go home too...Gov Waltz says at this time fishing and hunting are allowed here in Mn but he does discourage traveling far to do so , fish local he says . All the long distance travelers will be ruining for all when it comes to still being allowed to indeed fish during this crisis , and I would bet it’s just a short matter of time and there will indeed be changes made to this privilege .Wisconsin DNR is also advising non locals that need to travel longer distances not to do such ,and used the upcoming Brule river run as a example . . People can easily  get their exercise, walking  ,sunshine by just staying by there houses and doing these things there . All this virus stuff is just getting worse day by day and will continue this trend for the days and weeks  to come , and with that said , I SAY WE AINT SEEN NOTHING YET FOLKS , SAD BUT TRUE INDEED..  I ask all to take a look around if and when one has to go to a grocery store ,gas station ,work ,pharmacy , walk or a other totally essential outing and to observe others who are also out and about doing the same , and I bet each and every one of you will indeed see at least ONE person if not more , who just doesn’t get it and is not practicing proper social distancing, proper sanitizing , or others that blatantly are ignoring the stay at home orders , and with that said , just do the math , that’s a heck of a lot of craziness that’s going on my friends , sad but true .. Please , all do your part and encourage others to do theirs also . This virus spreads at a rate of no other virus in the past has been able to spread . Essential means essential , and realistically staying at home unless doing a essential is the best approach to get the behind us . Oh yah one more thing , until a vaccine is available this virus is going nowhere , ponder that people .

The meds that Trump has been touting have been used against this virus with positive results. Having a vaccine to combat it might not be a bad thing, but when the timeline to run clinical trials can take up to 2 years, there's no time to wait. Now is the perfect time to flatten this curve and just start treating the people who have been showing symptoms and at a minimum, treating those who have tested positive.

I see a lot of blathering in the media about this administration dragging it's feet when it's quite clear where the problem lies when we look at the current political state of affairs and who pushed for the pork barrel garbage in the $2 Trillion stimulus package.