• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I dont think I have ever been in this section of the forum before...lol

Let em shut down the ramps? we dont really need a ramp, just a shallow shoreline? 

Your gonna like the Perception, they track so nice in the water

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Hopefully we can see lottsa posting and pics in here this summer from yakers. 

• l Love It 1

nice yak I am looking at the pelican 100xp icon its looks a bit more comfy then the 9.5 sound pretty cheap and looks pretty stable I like the sot better toimage.thumb.png.d9a00e4a9fa9ac1d1cfd4bf16235e9ed.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Looked at that one also but not a fan of the material. I went with the 10.5. Cockpit looks really roomy and really good reviews. Both good probably but I thought the pelican looked tippy. 

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Austin12345 said:

nice yak I am looking at the pelican 100xp icon its looks a bit more comfy then the 9.5 sound pretty cheap and looks pretty stable I like the sot better toimage.thumb.png.d9a00e4a9fa9ac1d1cfd4bf16235e9ed.png

Have heard of some of the pelicans leaking or breaking where the top and bottom are ultrasonicly welded.

Not as huge fan of the type of plastic they use either. 

Plus side is they are light, track well and are priced a little lower than the competitors models with same options.

Overall, you should be happy if you decide to ho this route 

Edited by Rick G
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

yes looks to be of less quailty then the perception kayaks but I dont really want spend a whole lot on my first kayak 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Perception pescador at fleet farm 419. Much stronger material. Maybe one to check out. 

• Thanks 1

another brand I have been looking at is ascend they have some good kayaks it looks like

Edited by Austin12345
  • I Like it 1

Better material in the Ascend than the Pelican. I looked at them also. Nice product. Forgot to mention that on the Ascend the carry handle on front is same that was on my future beach. Had to replace it after 2 years. Cloth goes bad. 

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:14 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

Hopefully we can see lottsa posting and pics in here this summer from yakers. 

I have a Wilderness Systems Radar 115 with the pedal drive. I know a guy who caught a 40" Laker on Superior about a month ago and he's been out there several times since for the Coho and Steelhead bite.

Yes, in a kayak. ?

• I Like it 2

ya sounds like a blast and dhey eyeguy how to you see the quaility of the materiel in a kayak exactly?

Made of proprietary high-density polyethylene Is the main thing I learned from @Rick G  very tough stuff. 

• Thanks 1

Perception makes good kayaks.

I have an Ocean Prowler and love it.  It can get a little big (13 feet) sometimes but I have no regrets buying it.  6 years on it now and still in great shape.

Buy once; cry once. ?

Look up Crow Wing Kayaks before you buy though!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thanks 1

ok if there are any other good brands you think I should take a look at please let me know 

2 hours ago, Austin12345 said:

ya sounds like a blast and dhey eyeguy how to you see the quaility of the materiel in a kayak exactly?

Ldpe (low density polly ethelene ) and Hdpe high density.... are what most plastic yaks are made from. Hdpe is much more impact and abrasion resistant than it's low density cousin. The sun will also have less impact on the hd types, my first kayak was a Ldpe yak, when it got hot out, the plastic would get softer and more of a flex to it.

• Thanks 1

That perception for the price is another reason I went that way. Budget. ?

• Thanks 1

I fished out of a 10ft pelican for close to 5 years before last year getting into a 16.5’ alumacraft. I ran that yak in some nasty waves and wind. But it always made it, I caught many many fish in that yak ( still have it yet) Always good times but not the most stable boat and not a ton of storage. But it worked for me. Never had any issues with the hull and it got hauled a lot but one could defiantly tell it wasn't the thickest or strongest. I had a yak gear crate setup I’d strap to the back for longer trips. Worked great for storage and didn’t effect stability. Only bad part is you could get anything out of it once on the water in fear of tipping over which made it kinda useless. But it was kinda top of the line for me I even had a Fancy humminbird portable unit id use in it. 

A3AF6B90-7F93-4DFA-A86C-20A30567CE17.jpeg

19680BCC-4B3F-4704-91D5-581C75A18FAE.jpeg

5D8D5BD6-60C7-4CE6-B820-E50EE836C856.jpeg

Edited by AlwaysFishing23
  • Thumbs Up 3

We are rough on them. ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

Paddle arrived. Yak should be here next week. 

F21D7785-89EF-4ABE-8671-E438041EE433.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok. ?

• Yayyyy 1

when I first brought up the post all I saw were the paddles and the thread above that post wasn't generating...so I thought you put a picture of your paddles with no information on what Yak ya got.  After I submitted then I saw the rest of the thread!?  I have looked into the Yaks for the past year and just haven't pulled the trigger due to my back and unsure if I could actually stay in a Yak for over an hour.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think most places have a return policy for yaks. Good way to see if your back will handle it. I have had two back surgeries. Go for it. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

What about a float tubes another option maybe with a bad back.  Just a thought . Not sure both are out of my element and experience. Been a boater for years see the allure of Kayaks float tubes for back country waters for sure. Definitely a sport that is gaining popularity. Having these options would allow access to some remote areas. I give you guys credit and guts  because when the winds a howling and the waves are slapping over my wave wackers or there are a pile of boats running around creating a under water toilet bowl I feel pretty secure in my Lund . ?

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure about the float tubes. Never have been in one. Yaks not just for back country?. Very relaxing and great brain therapy chasing panfish in the yak anywhere. Blast on the river also chasing smallies but can’t say that’s as relaxing. Lol. I think I will go after northern a couple times this summer and also largemouth for fun on some area lakes. But will be in the spectrum fish boat also after everything.