• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Rick

We can also reduce that 20% serious illness rate by improving our own immunity. Eating the right foods, making sure we have enough Vitamin C, the right amount of Vitamin D and Zinc.

Hydrothermal therapy is also highly effective.

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis
1 minute ago, Rick said:

Actually, social distancing is not that effective.

The vast majority of transfer comes by touching your face with hands that have not been washed with soap and water after touching a surface that holds viable virus.

Is that true?  I thought that the primary spread was when someone coughed or sneezed (primarily coughed) and you were within distance of those respiratory droplets.  If you're right, then obviously washing your hands could virtually completely avoid transmission.

BobT
Just now, gimruis said:

Is that true?  I thought that the primary spread was when someone coughed or sneezed (primarily coughed) and you were within distance of those respiratory droplets.  If you're right, then obviously washing your hands could virtually completely avoid transmission.

See my response to Rick just above. If we use courteous practices like covering ourselves when we cough and sneeze, those droplets would not be thrown into others' faces or all over objects in front of us. 

Rick
2 minutes ago, gimruis said:

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Actually, social distancing is not that effective.

The vast majority of transfer comes by touching your face with hands that have not been washed with soap and water after touching a surface that holds viable virus.

Yes, this is true.

BobT
3 minutes ago, Rick said:

We can also reduce that 20% serious illness rate by improving our own immunity. Eating the right foods, making sure we have enough Vitamin C, the right amount of Vitamin D and Zinc.

Hydrothermal therapy is also highly effective.

And one of our greatest sources of vitamin D is sunlight so let's go fishing!😃

• Yayyyy 1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

I honestly don't know what to believe any more. There are so many different views opinions charts out there on this it will drive you crazy. Pretty much gave up watching TV because getting a little sick of everything on there is pretty much depressing. Pretty much went back to concentrating on the things that are important and things I can control my family right now. We have been setting up zoom meetings with all of my brothers sisters parent etc. Seeing there faces and hearing there all healthy is my concern. My wife daughters and me have all been going for walks with out dogs working on yard projects etc trying to stay healthy mentally and physically! We just came to realize that watching or listening to all the doom and gloom is no good for everyone. Concentrate on what we have in front of us each other and the time we have with each other.  Yes we keep up to the latest but limit our involvement. Life is short the way it is positivity an a smile will fulfill your life more than worrying and trying to figure this out!

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

gimruis
38 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yes, this is true.

The CDC website indicates that the primary mode of transmission is from coughing or sneezing and respiratory droplets go from one person to another within 6 feet.  It says that surface-hand-face transmission is not thought to be the main mode of spreading.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

gimruis
26 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

I honestly don't know what to believe any more.

Believe the health experts, not the politicians.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bigfatbert
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

The CDC website indicates that the primary mode of transmission is from coughing or sneezing and respiratory droplets go from one person to another within 6 feet.  It says that surface-hand-face transmission is not thought to be the main mode of spreading.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Maybe not the main way , but definitely surface to hand to face is still a way that this virus indeed is capable and can get transmitted by from person to person.to person to person to person to person . But social distancing is still needed also .

Edited by Bigfatbert
Change made

whateverisbiting

I am not a politician or health care authority, just a lowly scientist/fisherman.

Social distancing is effective and needs to consider all routes of transmission, which includes both washing your hands / not touching your face and not breathing the air of an infected person.  Every time an infected person breathes they aerosolize the virus.  Washing your hands will not help if you are in the same room for a long time breathing the same air as someone who is infected.  In fact, viruses are fragile and do not live on surfaces very long.  The data you see that viruses are viable for days to weeks on surfaces are ideal conditions that lead to prolonged stability of the virus.  Similarly, wearing a mask is not going to help if you are touching a recently contaminated surface then touching an entry point into your body.

Something else to ponder (OK this is maybe not scientific but seems plausible)...part of how you react to this virus is likely dependent on how often you have been exposed to similar viruses, because then you would have partial immunity and symptoms would be mild.  If you are a germaphobe and are very clean, maybe you are not getting the right exposure to less virulent strains to build up cross immunity.  Of course other factors including personal health, genetics, and perhaps dose of the virus will impact your disease trajectory.

We are starting to lag in predictions for deaths in MN compared to the projected model.  From a data-driven perspective, if this holds then there is no reason to change the guidance on outdoor activities.  We seem to be doing enough already by closing down schools, restaurants, performances etc.  No need for further restrictions.

Mike

Wanderer
2 hours ago, gimruis said:

Believe the health experts, not the politicians.

Or the media... really be careful of your sources of information and what the comments actually are.  Will/may, proven/thought to/possibly/could, talking/respiratory, etc.

Talking is being interpreted as breathing but “respiratory droplets” would make it airborne and it’s not; it’s droplet which can happen by talking if the person spits while they talk.  Say it; don’t spray it covers that pretty much.

I see the CDC comments on that link as being a little open to interpretation.  They’ve been getting requests to clarify information but as we know, the more questions you ask, the more questions you get mainly due to interpretation.  I’ve heard the studies done where people take the results that CAN be created in a lab as reality.  But if you take the time to actually see what conditions need to be met to make the result, you can compare to your real world and see a low probability of actually meeting those conditions.

Maybe this will relieve some stress for a few people?  Look up the facts and read beyond the numbers.  If it sounds too good or too bad to be true, it probably isn’t/may not be/has a low likelihood of being true.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rick

From the World Health Organization:

* Current evidence indicates casual contacts are not at risk for SARS except
when there has been sustained, close contact with a case of SARS or in high-
risk transmission settings, such as health care settings and households.

* Throughout the outbreak, the primary mode of transmission appears to be direct mucous
membrane (eyes, nose, and mouth) contact with infectious respiratory droplets and/or
through exposure to fomites. Cases have occurred primarily in persons with close contact
with those very ill with SARS in health care and household settings. Transmission to casual
and social contacts has occasionally occurred when as a result of intense exposure to a case
of SARS (in workplaces, airplanes or taxis) or in high-risk transmission settings, such as
health care settings and households.

Therefore, a primary vector for catching this CCP Virus is from surface with virus on it (fomite) to hand to face when you are in a setting outside your household or healthcare provider.

The CDC description in the link you gave  @gimruis is vague at best. Mis-leading when it comes to following shelter in place theories.

The greatest spread comes within family groups, communities who spend significant time together and health care facilities. That is where social distancing has the best effect.

So again, keep those hands cleaned often and especially before touching your face, when you are outside your home. Also, maintain social distance of at least 6'

• Thumbs Up 2

Mike89

one thing I learned about surveys and collecting data is that one word can change the out come and or the results..  so with that being said I really like the info I'm getting here...  I see no politics involved here...   at least I hope not...  

• Thumbs Up 2

BobT
2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Talking is being interpreted as breathing but “respiratory droplets” would make it airborne and it’s not; it’s droplet which can happen by talking if the person spits while they talk.  Say it; don’t spray it covers that pretty much.

I think this is a yes and no. Droplets can be quite small. Our exhale when we talk and breathe is humid and that means there is moisture involved and that translates to droplets, albeit, very small droplets. This could be an example of what they call bioaerosols, which would define COVID-19 as a true airborne virus if it can be transmitted in this form. However, I talked to my daughter about this yesterday (she is a medical lab scientist) and to her knowledge it has not yet been confirmed if COVID-19 is efficiently transmitted in this way. 

• Thumbs Up 2

whateverisbiting

The point is, there is not one route of transmission.  There are two routes; air and surface.  We are just talking about which if either is primary and which is secondary.

Data are still coming in; they are incomplete and being interpreted differently.  When someone says there is no evidence, it can either mean it is unlikely or that it has not been properly tested yet.  So please be careful about interpreting the statements and especially any extreme statements.

Back to the original point of the thread; as infection data are coming in, it looks to be in check so no need to further clamp down.  Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

smurfy

Well my money is on Minnesota being extended another 2 weeks at least or end of April. Not that I'm gonna like it.

Mike89

that sure looks like the daily news!!!!!!

eyeguy 54

Trying to brainwash 

• Thumbs Up 2

dutchboy II

I've decided to distance myself from this thread. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

IceHawk
35 minutes ago, dutchboy II said:

I've decided to distance myself from this thread. 

whateverisbiting

Eyeguy that is hilarious, and intentional or not dutchboy that is also hilarious...but yes agree time to move on!

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanderer

I can be done too.  Just trying to calm some nerves if possible.  Not looking to argue anything, but share some of what I’ve learned with my FM family.  

I’ve learned more from participating in this thread, so thanks to y’all for adding what you have. 😎  Nobody knows everything about this deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

Yes a big Thanks to all the insight everyone added to this subject I learned a bunch myself As a Moderator it did get a little tricky at times but discussions like this and fear uncertainty and  anxiety will bring that out with anyone at times . The thread can keep going on if some want to participate.  Its not locked I just felt it was time for myself  to take a break from it.  I guess if I'm allowed to fish somewhere all be allowed to fish somewhere. If not  Ill accept it and Ill fish another day just another stepping stone in life. 

Edited by IceHawk

smurfy

Well for all intensive purposes, the first post was related to resorts, opening if fishing in relation to the current situation. Just saying.

• Yayyyy 1

gimruis
11 hours ago, smurfy said:

Well for all intensive purposes, the first post was related to resorts, opening if fishing in relation to the current situation. Just saying.

Valid point.

• Thumbs Up 1

SkunkedAgain

So are we going fishing in a month?

CigarGuy
38 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I'll be sure to stay 6' away from your dock when I'm fishing the opener👍

Wanderer
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I’ll go if I decide I want to.  That’s about all I can say.  I haven’t heard of any official delays of the actual date.

I guess I better say locally... 😉

Edited by Wanderer

smurfy

I've avoided the opener like the plague for years. Same this year. Don't like all the commotion on the lake or roads. Usually wait a week or two.