• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

opener and resorts

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
51 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I've avoided the opener like the plague for years. Same this year. Don't like all the commotion on the lake or roads. Usually wait a week or two.

You don't have to wait that long.  I usually have the whole lake to myself by 10:30 pm on Saturday.  ?

• I Like it 1
  • Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

I've avoided the opener like the plague for years. Same this year. Don't like all the commotion on the lake or roads. Usually wait a week or two.

For this reason I like working weekends and having weekdays off. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

As usual, the weather will likely play a big role.  A calm, warm, sunny day brings out a lot of riff raff that normally would not be out otherwise.  This is why I pray for rain just about every weekend during the summer.  Rain = less people out and often = better fishing.

I used to start fishing right at midnight on Friday night with a lighted bobber for years.  Some years were good, some were not so good.  But there was rarely anyone else out there during the middle of the night.

Edited by gimruis
  • I Like it 1

Does anyone know if resorts are allowed to accept clients in their cabins, not just access to the lake, while the stay at home order is in effect? I have not been able to find an official statement about this. 

Edited by BobT

I read somewhere yes, BUT, ONLY people in the cabin has to be household members. And maintain social distancing at the landing. My guess it may change after may 4th?????????

44 minutes ago, BobT said:

Does anyone know if resorts are allowed to accept clients in their cabins, not just access to the lake, while the stay at home order is in effect? I have not been able to find an official statement about this. 

I dont think anybody is really sure whats going to happen, we're kind of in uncharted waters here.   

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

indeed we are.  wait and see can be rough on us. really has to be a worry for resort owners. hang tough!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well said guys we can all throw out our opinions guesses on this issue but honestly none of us truly know. It's going to be up to Gov Walz to make the decision. I'm definitely hoping for a opener but in real honesty not sure there will be one. Michigan already closed there public accesses. And not sure if Walz following there standards  there guidelines or models but very possible he will. Biggest problem I see are the boats avoiding the social distancing aspect. How many are going to follow the guidelines. Are guys going to fish by themselves?   This weekend I saw guys 3-4 to a boat already and guessing by looks of it they weren't all brothers living in same household.? People already were shore fishing arm to arm in one location. It's things like this that will basically ruin it for all of us and the right we have to fish. Use your heads guys. Its not all a about the me me concept it should be about the us we and everyone around us. We all want to enjoy it and if some ruin it for others that would really stink!  We have a group of 6 buds that always do the opener for the day. Normally we fish 2 to a boat. This year if allowed we all will be fishing in our own boats 1 guy each rig  on the same local lake. It wont be the same but we will adapt and do our part. We plan on fishing together I guess somewhat meeting for lunch in middle of given spot on lake throwing anchors out and eating socializing some, from a distance sort of a corral spread apart. As far as resorts if open there will definitely be some kind of restrictions put into place I would think time will tell. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

We have a group of 6 buds that always do the opener for the day. Normally we fish 2 to a boat. This year if allowed we all will be fishing in our own boats 1 guy each rig  on the same local lake. It wont be the same but we will adapt and do our part. We plan on fishing together I guess somewhat meeting for lunch in middle of given spot on lake throwing anchors out and eating socializing some, from a distance sort of a corral spread apart.

This is the sort of thing that works, and still allows you to fish, albeit not "with" any of your friends in the same boat.  If everyone followed this, there would not be an issue like they've clearly had in Michigan already.

Most northern MN counties north of the 7 metro counties (Except Clay - Fargo/Morehead and St. Louis - Duluth) have between 0 and 5 COVID 19 cases. As a result a group of these county representatives have sent Gov Walz a co-signed letter to reconsider a less restrictive order to help these county businesses survive. There is some hope that will happen which could give relief to resorts, bars, restaurants and other small owners making the opener possible. Let's pray they are successful.

20200413_155928.thumb.jpg.ed13f8a51e623a8d6d0d97046b954c81.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

This is a crock of pea soup.? this whole SIP order was fully intended to allow the medical professionals to get prepared and get supplies, simply put. This virus isn't going to miraculously disappear. I sure hope they also have plans to bail out people that default on loans and businesses that go belly up. But then it's just gonna be put on the back of the taxpayers.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, Bigfatbert said:

Yup something to surely ponder here with this subject , but until things are different , the only way it could be done would have to be done following social distancing rules , not sure if it could be possibly done following such , it would be great that somehow a way could be figured out that do follow the rules , because until the distance rules change there really are no exceptions ... this is a just another unfortunate consequence of Covid19  .  Sucks don’t it !

As of today ( April 14 ) all egg collection spots in on are closed or canceled for this season.

• Thanks 1

Just got this from the Ottertail resort owner. Looks very promising. Maybe the GOP letter to Walz had some effect. Ottertail 50% open yesterday, should be fully open by this weekend.

20200415_074622.thumb.jpg.c714e7b4c6f3b82e00b0d6e2a022a912.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Ya the bottom right photo won't be happening...

Correct, bottom right photo never happens May 9th with water temps in lower 50's. By July when photo was taken who knows, restrictions may be lifted.

• Yayyyy 2

With everyone ready to bust out I'm sure busier then ever boat landings, anytime of day, and with everyone laid off, anytime of the week. 

Don't forget to ware your distancing hat when loading and unloading. 

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1