• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

opener and resorts

Unless travel becomes actually restricted, I will be heading up to Vermilion for opener as usual. Like Smurfy, I can and often do go up and back without touching a thing. I can tow up there on one tank of gas, unloaded without touching the dock, fish, be at cabin, and return all with zero interaction. I will have to stop for gas on the drive home but that's not a real issue.

I usually do try to frequent businesses up there to spread my dollars around and infuse "new" money into the local economy, but this will not be one of those times. I am looking forward to opener one way or the other.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Unless travel becomes actually restricted, I will be heading up to Vermilion for opener as usual. Like Smurfy, I can and often do go up and back without touching a thing. I can tow up there on one tank of gas, unloaded without touching the dock, fish, be at cabin, and return all with zero interaction. I will have to stop for gas on the drive home but that's not a real issue.

I usually do try to frequent businesses up there to spread my dollars around and infuse "new" money into the local economy, but this will not be one of those times. I am looking forward to opener one way or the other.

With mn behind on the bug and with our peak prediction being quite a ways away it is not unreal to believe that the opener will be impacted in one way or another . In fact gov waltz today canceled the gov annual opener event because of the virus , hard to believe he would allow the annual mass of traveling , gathering to happen . Lots of wishful thinking by many to dream of it not changed ,but reality will probably prevail and things will need to be changed .  I surely don’t like it , but time will tell , I guess cross your fingers while you still can as things will be worse here , very worse , watch and see !! 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:14 AM, BobT said:

That's my point. I read the governor's order and saw noting in it about it being local. I don't know where Bigfatbert is getting his information from. Besides, what is local for one could be something entirely different for another. Maybe local is a day trip since motels, resorts, and camping sites are not accessible right now.

Local for one could be entirely different for another . What u talkin about Willis ?

i suggest you ask Rick as to his thoughts on what fishing local means   bob ,  I bet he can explain things in a way only he seems to be able to do . He is knowledgeable !    Or I bet Webster could give you some insight also as to what local means .

Edited by Bigfatbert
Because I added more .

My wife asked me if I would be fishing local for opener...I don't have means to fish within 30 minutes of my home or "local", but I don't see any difference in that, or if I drove up to the garage with my boat (2 hours away) and hooked up, fished, dropped off and had no interaction with anyone what harm it could cause?  I would love to get into the boat with my father in-law that lives up there but I think we will just have to fish in separate boats this year.

They cancelled the 2020 Governors Fishing Opener at Otter Tail.  Not because you can't fish, but because it draws in lots of people for the banquets and other social gatherings associated with it.  The Governor specifically stated that opener will still continue as planned on May 9, and you can fish.  You just can't do it in groups and also be prepared for certain businesses not to be open.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, gimruis said:

They cancelled the 2020 Governors Fishing Opener at Otter Tail.  Not because you can't fish, but because it draws in lots of people for the banquets and other social gatherings associated with it.  The Governor specifically stated that opener will still continue as planned on May 9, and you can fish.  You just can't do it in groups and also be prepared for certain businesses not to be open.

Yes he said that but given the circumstances that will be unraveling soon in this state , a cancellation will still probably be inevitable down the road .  Time will tell . The opener draws a lot of people together in many ways that can possibly create many problems in so many different ways . Ya would be a bummer !

I'm not planning on doing:

• the regular thing for opener (2 1/2 hours from home), ?
  • the regular thing for the week after opener, 4-5 hours from home, or ??
  • the Rainy Lake trip (Canandian side) at the end of July. ?

I hope I'm wrong on all 3!!

Edited by Hookmaster

18 minutes ago, Hookmaster said:

I'm not planning on doing:

• the regular thing for opener (2 1/2 hours from home), ?
  • the regular thing for the week after opener, 4-5 hours from home, or ??
  • the Rainy Lake trip (Canandian side) at the end of July. ?

I hope I'm wrong on all 3!!

Yes, we are scheduled for our annual opener at Gruben's Marina on Vermilion and our annual Lac Seul trip in Ontario in early June but right now I don't foresee either being possible. I highly doubt I would take the 5-hour drive to Vermilion for just one day and I doubt the border crossing will be open by June.  ?

Edited by BobT
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think there will still be a fishing opener...just that a lot more people won't be traveling to their distant destinations like they usually do.  Find a local watering hole instead near your house and avoid people....it can be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
27 minutes ago, gimruis said:

I think there will still be a fishing opener...just that a lot more people won't be traveling to their distant destinations like they usually do.  Find a local watering hole instead near your house and avoid people....it can be done.

Spot on couldn't agree with you more on this one I made a earlier post about this . I'm always surprised how many people venture so far all the time to do there fishing. There are so many good options in every ones back yard. We all need to try and take advantage of them. Test yourself as a fisherman, don't always go to a for sure or easier bite and challenge yourself. Kind of Like Red lake ice fishing craze every winter. So many run every weekend up there to 8 out of 10 times to catch there easy mess of walleyes. A couple combos and handful lures a locator  on there at the right time and that night your in Westwind all jacked up bragging about how your the  Next Al Linder. Try the same approach on many other pieces of water not so forgiving and you will learn real fast how good of a fisherman you really are. Might even humble yourself ? Pick a lake that hasn't made the MN Top 10 opener destinations nd try it trust me it will make you a way better fisherman when you have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to finish the game ?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

Yes he said that but given the circumstances that will be unraveling soon in this state , a cancellation will still probably be inevitable down the road .  Time will tell . The opener draws a lot of people together in many ways that can possibly create many problems in so many different ways . Ya would be a bummer !

Check this out.  They’ve been considered “reliable” on their numbers.
MN page

April 22nd is the predicted peak for hospitalizations in MN.  This is the curve Walz wanted to push out as much as possible so the healthcare system could be ready for it.  We’re short by 178 ICU beds but have ample regular beds.  Everyone has been working on bolstering their ICU bed count.

I’m not passing it off the gospel but will take it as guidance for a time line.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Check this out.  They’ve been considered “reliable” on their numbers.
MN page

This is pretty good information.  Thanks for posting.  I think MN as a whole is doing a pretty darn good job on this so far.  Certainly better than our neighbors to the east.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can look for your Minnesota opener around June 1 this year. Ok, well maybe July 1.......well for sure I think by Nov 1.  ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

25 minutes ago, dutchboy II said:

You can look for your Minnesota opener around June 1 this year. Ok, well maybe July 1.......well for sure I think by Nov 1.  ?

that would not surprise me!!!!

• l Love It 1

and I believe that the shut down will go thru April at the least...  and I can understand what you are saying....  we all want to stay safe, well most of us any way..   there's them dang few again!!!! 

• l Love It 1

We all like to fish.  However none of us want to be the cause of passing on the virus to anyone least of all to our fishing buddies,  If those who are studying this feel it would be a danger to open the season in May lets listen to them and be on the side of caution.  I know I don't want to be out there worrying if its  safe or worrying  about my  buddy sneezing. One month or so delay would be a small price to pay to insure our safety.

• l Love It 1

With Covid19 restrictions this holds  true for non family members .

With a 12-17 ft boat no more than 2 people can legally fish from it 

With a 18 -23 ft boat no more than 3 people can legally fish from it .

With a 24-30 ft boat no more than 4 people can legally fish from it .

must always maintain at least a 6’ distance  at landings , landing parking lots , docks , while in he boat fishing or moving around  , using a landing net ,..

Edited by Bigfatbert
Because I wanted to !
  • Thumbs Up 1

The city of Duluth is only allowing locals to go go smelting in the rivers . Non local cannot participate due to the Covid19 restrictions , and while smelting all must maintain at least a 6 ft distance .

6 hours ago, rayguy said:

We all like to fish.  However none of us want to be the cause of passing on the virus to anyone least of all to our fishing buddies,  If those who are studying this feel it would be a danger to open the season in May lets listen to them and be on the side of caution.  I know I don't want to be out there worrying if its  safe or worrying  about my  buddy sneezing. One month or so delay would be a small price to pay to insure our safety.

So great to read this , how so very caring and thoughtful you truly are .

thank you for posting this ray guy ! Your fishing buddies are so lucky to have you as their friend and fishing partner . 

Everything is a balance.  Hotels are still open.

My view is that we should take a balanced approach to opener and resorts.  The goal is not to prevent transmission, it is to keep it at a manageable rate.  Do you really think the 6' guideline and only 10 people at a time in a room will prevent it?  Absolutely not.  But it does slow it down.  We shut down restaurants and other stores, but they found a way to keep social distancing by curb side pick up.  You can order groceries on line.  This is actually quite straightforward for local communities to provide these services in a proper way for social distancing, including buying bait.

My proposal at this time would be to allow fishing and keep resorts open, but do not allow out of state licenses and  allow local communities within MN to shut it down if they deem that not in the best interest of the local area.  I am guessing most people won't go anyway.  At least those I know have canceled and would not consider rebooking.  But, we still have a month to go.  My view is data driven and it could change by then one way or another.

I have this picture in my head of people wearing buttons saying "I recovered" with back up documentation so they can start being normal.  We need the second test to come out that lets you know if you had it or not (the current test is only able to let you know if you are currently infected).  I am certain way more people have gotten it and recovered than the website states.  Estimates are the numbers are 10-fold higher, but not sure how accurate that is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@Bigfatbert have you come to terms yet with the fact this virus isn’t going to just disappear and that most of will catch it eventually, including you?

The Order is about keeping the peak medical resource usage rate a little flatter and giving us time to prepare to handle it at the peak. That’s it.  

I understand you’re more sensitive to the matter based on health conditions you mentioned in another post but you’re touting the restrictions like a fear monger.  Or maybe you enjoy poking the bear of the fishing community?  I don’t know.  Our fears are driving us further away from recovery than the virus is.

I’m all for being careful and keeping transmission rates lower but we can’t stop it.  Sorry to break the news to you.

It's actually good to be scared a little, but your right Tracie there is a line. 

I wonder what the numbers are, of those that already had it and have antibodies. 

There was a h e l l of a flu going around this winter. 

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I don't think the medical community, government agency's or the internet forums know what has, is or will happen with the virus. I think everybody is throwing mud against the wall on best case, worse case scenarios. Best case is a month from now everything is trending back to normal. Worse case people are dropping dead with no end in sight. Are we as humans, not sportsman, willing to risk the worse case just because it may inconvenience our plans for the opener?

I think it's time we give this some serious thought. Way to much non nonchalance in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

It's actually good to be scared a little, but your right Tracie there is a line. 

I wonder what the numbers are, of those that already had it and have antibodies. 

There was a h e l l of a flu going around this winter. 

Government organizations are starting to admit the probability of that scenario.  

Like I’ve typed before, I’m concerned but not scared.  I’ve had my training to deal with this situation that “would probably never happen” and took it seriously.  Maybe that’s why I’m calmer than most about the actual virus.  Plus I don’t have underlying conditions that put me at a higher risk.  Things that I have to take care of are planned out and in motion to be as prepared as can be.  I can’t do anything more but manage the load and ride it out.

Not to curse myself but I told my wife last night, if I’m going to get this, I’m ready now.  But I’d prefer to hold off until the predicted peak is over.  

@dutchboy II that’s probably considered a nonchalant view to you and some others but I AM looking weeks ahead at potential impacts that don’t involve my personal fishing opener.  I’ve been reading the forum comments and trying not to interject too much but sometimes a guy just has to share some actual experience and straight talk from the past weeks of being submerged in the subject.  

I don’t seek information that aligns with my opinions, I let consistent information guide and sometimes change my opinions.

• Thumbs Up 4

Morning folks ! What a nice bright sun shining day to enjoy and sun yourself in your yard . As always I’m enjoying reading this weeks Mn Outdoor News paper . I read that closing of National parks is being discussed due to the Covid19 concerns , and surely and so very unfortunately Voyager National Park comes to mind . Such a beautiful and park it is , and the good possibility that it will be closed up is truly a sad , sad , sad scenario to ponder , but probably a smart move it would be .  I also see that the DNR CO’s are reminding people to stay at home per Gov Waltz Order and they go on to remind all that at least for now fishing is still allowed but one must fish local or near the community that they reside and practicing social distancing must also be followed. They go on to say that Gov Waltz urges everybody to quarantine at home and not your cabins .

As I read on I see that getting live bait is already a issue and is just going to be worse , I guess as time goes on one could find some night crawlers in their yard though , but unfortunately night crawlers during early season are definitely not a good bait of choice , at least in my opinion. Personal trapping of minnows and leeches gets ruled out also as that would violate the Gov’s order by doing such . I guess that leaves pitching a jig n plastic or pulling a crank bait ,but again not the best option for those ice out eyes in my opinion either . If ya think nice and hard , even going to a store to purchase some plastic or plugs would be against the Gov’s order also as going to stores is for purchasing only essentials , hmmmm lots to ponder , now isn’t it ..but on the plus side I bet most all fishermen have a daredevil or two in there tackle box .

With further reading I see that a very popular Grand Rapids area guide. who’s name I will leave out just because I want to do such , but in my opinion is one of the best guides there is , states that he wouldn’t be surprised if Gov Waltz , who ordered a shelter in place order last week , will be announcing a even stricter order between now and early May , and I would have to agree that indeed that will also happen . I’ve been hearing more and more how locals are not comfortable with flocks of people coming to or near their communities and spreading unwanted germs or becoming ill in their communities and causing issues with their smaller hospitals , an I for one see their point and agree . 
Yah  lots of changes we all must deal with and in so many different ways , As I’m considered a old timer in today’s world it’s easy for me to understand that all the implemented precautions are necessary. I like most have been so excited to get out on so many different lakes throughout our great state starting with the opener . With age the realization that my annual week long opening fishing trip is not gonna happen , though not what I wanted , is a lot easier to handle now than when I was younger , that’s for sure . As a younger man the thought of this happening would of been almost the worst thing possible, so I totally understand the younger generation having a harder time grasping that this will indeed mess up their opener and beyond . Hang in there all , there will be other openers for all to enjoy , but try as you may to realize that will only happen if your still alive and well , harsh words but just total reality all , take care and please do your part for yourself and yours and all others , we will get through this , and god bless you !!     (Just a note to all that the moderator here will be reviewing my post here , and I hope that it’s seen as a worthy read in his eyes , and if indeed your actually reading this he indeed agreed that it was . Also if I get to read this after I hit the submit button I personally thank him for allowing it to post , now if I don’t see it posted I say to heck with ya n your site forever, hope that ain’t the case !!!)

so if this makes any sense, you guys make very valid points, on both sides. for me depends on the wave of the day is.

I believe they just don't know enough about this yet. one part of me says I don't want nothing to do with getting this, the other part, like wanderer says, i"m ok with getting it then moving on. really I or anyone can really control if you get it or not unless you don't leave your house house forever. I have a few of what they could consider underlying conditions, I had heart bypass surgery in 2011, I smoke and I have a very controlled case of diabetes but believe I am healthy enough to withstand this COVID-19 should I get it somehow.

as far as opener, I gave up going opener years ago. I just don't like the zoo at accesses or on the lakes. if I hit an access with no vehicles......i'm in heaven. 

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

@Bigfatbert have you come to terms yet with the fact this virus isn’t going to just disappear and that most of will catch it eventually, including you?

The Order is about keeping the peak medical resource usage rate a little flatter and giving us time to prepare to handle it at the peak. That’s it.  

I understand you’re more sensitive to the matter based on health conditions you mentioned in another post but you’re touting the restrictions like a fear monger.  Or maybe you enjoy poking the bear of the fishing community?  I don’t know.  Our fears are driving us further away from recovery than the virus is.

I’m all for being careful and keeping transmission rates lower but we can’t stop it.  Sorry to break the news to you.

Fear monger ? Hardly!  Yup I’m surely looking out for myself and for you and all . Yup good chance you and myself could get it , surely not what I want for either . What totally frightens me is the people who just don’t get it,  Do you believe that all do indeed get it ? Take care bro and thanks for you thoughts !