• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

opener and resorts

Here is something we may not of touched yet .   What with the access being shut down on the Rainy river how do we know the opener won't be either shutdown or pushed back? Any rumors or first hand knowledge out there?    Another question what with the current shelter in place regs how will this effect all Minnesota's resorts and campgrounds?  Food for thought my friends.

• Thanks 1

No first hand knowledge here, sorry.

I think we will be in a wait see mode for awhile.  Things are changing on the daily.  So how things are today, will most certainly be different in May.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Indeed. Nobody can say what will happen. We are on the timetable of the virus. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Some resorts have already closed that are normally open during this transition time.  

I’d be surprised if the DNR delayed the actual date of the Opener.  People should be able to fish whether resorts are open or not.  That said, nothing will shock me too much at this point.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

People should be able to fish whether resorts are open or not.

I agree, and it is definitely possible to still do it.  You just can't drive hours to your destination.  You'll have to fish near your house instead.  This is the land of 10,000 lakes and rivers, there's plenty of new water to explore.

If you have a trip to Canada planned in May or June, I wouldn't plan on being able to go on that.  International borders will likely be shut for a longer period of time.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rayguy said:

Here is something we may not of touched yet .   What with the access being shut down on the Rainy river how do we know the opener won't be either shutdown or pushed back? Any rumors or first hand knowledge out there?    Another question what with the current shelter in place regs how will this effect all Minnesota's resorts and campgrounds?  Food for thought my friends.

I was asking somebody about this last week. What about the 3 or 4 major spots in the state where they take spawn?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gimruis said:

I agree, and it is definitely possible to still do it.  You just can't drive hours to your destination.  You'll have to fish near your house instead.  This is the land of 10,000 lakes and rivers, there's plenty of new water to explore.

If you have a trip to Canada planned in May or June, I wouldn't plan on being able to go on that.  International borders will likely be shut for a longer period of time.

why shouldn't you be able to drive hours????? not starting anything, just like to know your reason...…..

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gunner55 said:

I was asking somebody about this last week. What about the 3 or 4 major spots in the state where they take spawn?

Yup something to surely ponder here with this subject , but until things are different , the only way it could be done would have to be done following social distancing rules , not sure if it could be possibly done following such , it would be great that somehow a way could be figured out that do follow the rules , because until the distance rules change there really are no exceptions ... this is a just another unfortunate consequence of Covid19  .  Sucks don’t it !

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, rayguy said:

Resorts very well may be just another unfortunate business to take a hit , either by mandatory circumstances, or by personal concern of their ability to properly sanitize/disinfect their cabins , eating area , bar or any part of their facilities. Also they may just be afraid of having customers who could pass the virus on to themselves and their families, or other customers and just opt out of opening before things change . So many possible what if’s  with them and their business and the possibility of being open or closed , time will tell , but just remember the virus with it’s unbelievable ability to spread has the upper hand at least at this point .

• Thanks 1

Just read an article from the Star Tribune from yesterday about fishing related travel in MN, article advised that local officials and business owners along the north shore  are advising that out of the area fisher persons are not welcome for the steel head run in local rivers, the two DNR ramps near International Falls were the only ramps open on the Rainey River, locals have closed all private ramps however Arties Bait and Tackle in Ortonville is posting regular updates about the ice out for Big Stone and advising that they have an honor system bait tank outside and call ahead pickup at the door tackle orders as well as a link to an article from the DNR about people getting out to fish and advising travel to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, BobT said:

This is what is posted on the DNR website. Driving for pleasure is still allowed as well. 

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/covid-19.html

Hi Bob ! At this point driving to a fishing destination is still allowed if one still finds the urge to still do so , but your destination must be local per gov waltz .  With the ramping up of this virus day by day I would stay up to date with this issue though as things could change . Take care my friend !

On 3/27/2020 at 4:12 PM, smurfy said:

why shouldn't you be able to drive hours????? not starting anything, just like to know your reason...…..

Well I guess you certainly could, but I wouldn't expect any lodging or dine in food options or public restrooms to be available.  If you want to drive 4 hours one way to fish for a few hours and then drive 4 hours back without doing any of those items in question, have at it.  I personally would not be able to avoid using the men's room for 12 hours on end.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

Hi Bob ! At this point driving to a fishing destination is still allowed if one still finds the urge to still do so , but your destination must be local per gov waltz .  With the ramping up of this virus day by day I would stay up to date with this issue though as things could change . Take care my friend !

Is there an official definition for local? I haven't been able to find one yet. How much more isolated can one get than to be alone in a vehicle driving down the highway and then sitting in a boat? Loading and unloading a boat at a launch, I typically never get anywhere close to 10' from another individual. Same out on the water. Some might get close but never that close unless they want a treble hook in their cheek. 

Edited by BobT

15 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Well I guess you certainly could, but I wouldn't expect any lodging or dine in food options or public restrooms to be available.  If you want to drive 4 hours one way to fish for a few hours and then drive 4 hours back without doing any of those items in question, have at it.  I personally would not be able to avoid using the men's room for 12 hours on end.

Oh, I don't know. In November I crawl into my deer stand at 6:15 or 6:30 am and crawl out of it at close to 5:30 pm, getting back  home around 6:30 pm. 

Just now, BobT said:

Oh, I don't know. In November I crawl into my deer stand at 6:15 or 6:30 am and crawl out of it at close to 5:30 pm, getting back  home around 6:30 pm. 

Good point.  Come prepared I guess and it is possible...

Just now, gimruis said:

Good point.  Come prepared I guess and it is possible...

Not about being prepared necessarily. I just don't have to use a restroom during that time except to urinate. 

8 minutes ago, BobT said:

Is there an official definition for local? I haven't been able to find one yet. 

I would say that if you can get there in an hour or so it would be "local."  Driving from Minneapolis to Upper Red Lake, not so much.  As long as you avoid other people at the launch and on the lake, I wouldn't worry too much about what is considered "local."

Edited by gimruis

1 minute ago, gimruis said:

I would say that if you can get there in an hour or so it would be "local."  Driving from Minneapolis to Upper Red Lake, not so much.

That's my point. I read the governor's order and saw noting in it about it being local. I don't know where Bigfatbert is getting his information from. Besides, what is local for one could be something entirely different for another. Maybe local is a day trip since motels, resorts, and camping sites are not accessible right now?

Every spring in May I like to take a run up to Winnie for the day. For me that's about a 3-1/2 hour drive one way so I get up early and will be on the water usually by about 9:00. I fish all day and come home usually getting home sometime around 9:00 pm. I pack a lunch and bring whatever beverages I need so I do not need to find an eating establishment. If I go alone, who will I put at risk? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Totally, and I agree.  The definitely of fishing "local" is going to vary wildly.  In your specific example, I would say you have abided by all the distancing rules and will not put anyone at risk, including yourself.

I take my house with me, totally self sufficient. Heat, A/C, stove, fridge, bathroom, bed, couch, 50k generator, 30 gal gas pay at pump - park it anywhere. Bit trick'e launching boat but doable with RV. 5th wheel another option.

20200330_084900.jpg

• l Love It 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

with this "local" word being thrown around I was just wondering. for myself, we have a cabin up by talmoon, near bowstring. drive there and back. rarely do I go to the store for anything, and I cannot think of a time when I've actually been close to anyone up there with the exception of family or friends that came with.

like I said just wanted to know your reasoning...……..and makes sense!!!!!!!? 

23 minutes ago, papadarv said:

I take my house with me, totally self sufficient. Heat, A/C, stove, fridge, bathroom, bed, couch, 50k generator, 30 gal gas pay at pump - park it anywhere. Bit trick'e launching boat but doable with RV. 5th wheel another option.

20200330_084900.jpg

Where do you park it when camping sites are shut down?

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, BobT said:

Where do you park it when camping sites are shut down?

Friend cabin / property. By opener, sounds like many will re-open. Have reservation 5/30 at resort on Ottertail, owner believes should be no problem.

Edited by papadarv
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I generally fish close to home and after dark opening weekend.  Just too crazy during the day and it's so quiet at night.  Not to mention it can me very good fishing to boot.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will be going to my cabin a couple hours drive.  I will bring all my food and gas with me and not go to any stores there.  If I still have to work from home I may work there self quarantine for 14 days.  Then you become a local.  Then you have to do the same thing coming back home if going out to stores there.  Small towns have few hospitals and very limited equipment.  That is a real concern.  But hopefully will not blow up with very low population density.  Can't wait to put the dock in, have a G&T, and put out the lighted bobber!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm with Borch, what I have always been doing. Show up at the landing just before sundown, 

everyone is gone or going after fishing all day, just me or sometimes my son and the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2