• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

IceHawk

Tools of the trade

IceHawk

Starting to go through my Turkey vest and started practicing some of my turkey calling again. Yes Ill admit I'm no Will Primos 😂 In fact far from that but I can strike up a cord or two with the turkeys 😉 As far as calls go Ill start with some of the ones I personally use. 

LOCATOR CALLS - I use 3 different ones a Owl hoot, crow, pheasant cackle for location or pinnign down the location of a TOM. Shock gobbles work also but be very carefull it can draw hunters on public land so watch your backside. 

BOX- One of the easiest to use a great call for beginners. Easy to make some of the basic sounds on it. In fact probably the most common call in peoples Turkey vests. Tip use a box call rubber band or make sure call is secured or when walking through woods call will make some unwanted noises. 

Diaphragm calls-Probably one of the best but also the hardest. Takes some practice and is not for everyone. Some people will have a serious gag reflex when attempting to use one. Positive you can make quick putts purrs, clucks etc with one. Probably the best call to master and best for a ground hunter without  blind. Takes away all hand movements when you got a Tom in close. 

Friction Calls- My Favorites I've been using friction calls for years. For Very windy days I use a Crystal top to strike out there cut through wind very loud birds can hear it from long ways off. For reaching up over a ridge distance on a more calm day you cant beat glass kind of a medium range call.  Slate is the one I use when right in the woods calm days and have birds close by a very soft more subtle call that produces great results with birds in closer distances and face to face. 

Call conditioners- You will want to add a stone, sand paper, chalk to keep all your calls in good working condition. A high pitch unwanted  squeal will send a Tom running in no time! 

Decoys- Big fan of Flextone have a feeding and resting hen and a Jake. Plus I have a Primos B-MOBILE when I have a  aggressive dominate I'm after. At last resort and I have shot couple using a mojo scoot-and-shoot . This is a true rush if you haven't tried it! 👍

Blinds- Been using Ameristep doghouses for years, Setup 4 of them on my private property's in strategic locations but if all else fails have a vest and seat and will get right up in there faces if I have to.

Just throwing out some of the tools of the trade that have helped me be very successful in Harvesting some nice Toms over the years. 

IMG_0791[195].jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2

eyeguy 54

We sure need lottsa stuff to have fun in the great outdoors. Gotta live mn. 4 seasons of different supplies. 😁

• Yayyyy 1

Tom Sawyer
13 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

We sure need lottsa stuff to have fun in the great outdoors. Gotta live mn. 4 seasons of different supplies. 😁

And 4 areas of the house to store it in 😆

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

Great stuff IceHawk!! I use friction calls and my trusty crossbow. For decoys I use avian x I will post photos this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

This is one technique you have to try scoot and shoot!  If you haven't Its a rush I've done it a few times! Had one almost run me over 2 years ago doing this always in my truck for those special times. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Yayyyy 1

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

This weekend i will spraying my blind with tick repellent, my hunting clothes, and boots. So I will be ready 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1

DonBo

33075246_10210189823976231_2282065752435458048_o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

IceHawk

Awesome read Tom Thanks that one hit Home!

DonBo

Great read.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MJF
      By MJF
      First time on this site.  I’m from Prior Lake Mn, I am looking for private property to Turkey hunt on this coming April, will travel up to 1 hour away.  I don’t know anyone in the area and with this Covid-19 happening this  is why I’m reaching out otherwise I would be knocking on doors.  I am 57 yrs old, responsible, law abiding.  Please if you possibly have any leads PM me.  Thank you for your time and good hunting.
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      With all the craziness going on. I need turkey season to focus my mind on something. I need to shoot the crossbow soon and get the gear sprayed for ticks. I thought about getting a lay down hen but do I really need another turkey decoy?

The turkeys are using the corn field on the neighbors land but I will cut them suckers off. I cleared a spot last year so I can shoot behind my blind. 

let’s get some good turkey talk going on in here!! Come on guys.

Note from Editor: We have a Turkey contest going on HSO. You can win a "Legends of the Outdoors
      Hall of Fame Boxcall."
      Let's hear your turkey talk and see your pics here 1st, then......

Click here to enter the turkey contest.Win the Box call above....BUT
      RESPOND IN THIS THREAD 1ST!
    • huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      It looks like MN is considering getting rid of the shotgun zones. 

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/4994139-Shotgun-zone-elimination-bill-gains-traction-in-Minnesota

I used to hunt in a shotgun zone but now hunt in the big woods with a rifle. The thing that always confused me with the shotgun only zone was that you could hunt with a rifle caliber pistol. I know Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, and others have started allowing straight wall rifle cartridges instead of just shotguns. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      For info for this year's HSO/FM Turkey Conest follow the link below.

2020 HSO/FM Turkey Quest
    • Dan Rud
      By Dan Rud
      www.Wausota.com 

please Call Owner Emery + Lyn Edwards
      for cabins Available in spring and summer and fall hunting great!!! Also fishing AWESOME 🎣

good Luck and be safe!!!

Dan

• Rick
      By Rick
      Your best pics/video, spurs, beards, fans, mounts.
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      With the warmer weather, I'm starting to think spring.  And that means turkey hunting.  New rules for this year too.  No lottery required except for a couple of wildlife management areas.  So you can basically pick a season and buy it over the counter.  Also, the permit is good statewide as you do not have to hunt in a specific zone.

I kinda figured the lottery might eventually go away.  Its been slowly reduced over the years and was only down to A & B for lottery the last few.  What this could is add a lot of hunting pressure during a specific time period, however.  If we see that some upcoming weather looks really good that might bring more hunters to purchase that specific season.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/turkey/current/turkey_rules.pdf

• Willie Tree
      By Willie Tree
      The North Dakota Natural Resources Conservation Trust has a Super North Dakota 2020 Unlimited Whitetail Deer Tag we are raffling --good for any open season, any open unit. Hunters can hunt from September through early January, bow, rifle or muzzleloader. Hunter must use legal weapon for each season. We are a non-profit, The North Dakota Natural Resource Conservation Trust. We are using this tag to promote conservation in the State of North Dakota. Tickets can be bought at
      www.lincolnoakesnursery.com
      Drawing will be held August 3rd 2020 at 10 am at Lincoln Oakes Nursery, Bismarck North Dakota need not be present to win.

Sincerely,
      Brian Johnston CEO NDASCD
      [email protected]
      701-223-8575
    • jurick
      By jurick
      Well, my annual trip was only an extended weekend this year, as I had to use my actual vacation to go to Florida for a wedding. 

Drove up Friday morning after work, and was able to hit Two Island Lake for a few hours in the evening. As soon as we boated to my secret spot, a storm cloud moved over and the wind was insane! Temps dropped, and I only caught a few smallies.

on Saturday we went to Greenwood Lake. Even though we caught about 50 bass, it was still a slow day. Weather was perfect. Bugs were horrible! My dad caught a nice lake trout. My daughter caught her first northern pike, and I also caught one. Fished this lake for 30 years and never even seen a pike, now they’re taking over!

Fished Hungry Jack on the final day. Weather was once again perfect! Only caught a few bass. My son absolutely loves fishing off the resort’s dock. So the kids had a blast catching sunnies (including my daughter’s first). 

Was a bummer we only got to stay up there a few days. My dad stayed until today, but I haven’t heard how he did. Didn’t see any moose. Was also the first time I’ve been up there and did not catch a trout. We got our fill of Sven & Ole’s and world’s best donuts. We might try to go back up next month.
    • Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      Village fishing
      fish catching
      fishing videos
      fishing videos
      fishing
      unique fishing
      Catch fishing
      Daily Fishing Life
      fishing videos daily
      Top Fishing Videos
      Village fishing
      Best fishing
      best fishing videos
      fish and fishing
      big fish hunting
      fish lover
      Fish Hunting Videos
      Traditional Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Fishing trend
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      Welcome to FM @fishingallday   Keep us posted on how things are going in NY...please?
    • Bob Schultz
      Have not heard a thing for months now on building progress- has the panic shutdown stopped the construction or are we still on schedule for a new store by July 4th ? 
    • Kettle
      Welcome fishingallday from NY, NY? 🤔
    • TomWehler
      Guy down the bay is nice but a bit odd. I mean he is still looken for the lefty monkey wrench we asked him for in 1996.   Few years ago he told me to come see his sign he made for a concert he was heading to.   So couple days later I was passing an he showed me the sign.   It read  "I LOVE YOU STEVIE!"   SO I ask, what concert ya going to  ~ Thinking it was  maybe Fleetwood Mack n Stevie Nicks...?   Nope he said I am Stevie Wonder guy!!!   I think of this moment a lot....Big Smiles!   T      
    • gimruis
      I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.   I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.   As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.
    • TomWehler
      In 70’z. Drive up liquor stores were just a dream. Up on the sidewalk..Bing Boom Bam... Now a reality—-just call or text order ahead, drive up n runner brings yer order right to what ever yer driving. Truck, car, horse or Moose! They have the juice to turn ya loose... 🕶 Good n bad here n just my luck to be sober 32 years! DOH!   Juice On!   T  
    • TomWehler
      I Guy drives up to the Marauder Boys n me on dock. Big new Ranger full up with toys.  “Yea hey...you live here?   Ya.  This is my place...my boyz...   ”Ya so just learning this rig an easy wondering if you Know where Northern or Pike Bay is”   We sure could....says me Musky T   After a minute “So you gonna tell me or what?”   Ohhhh ...you asked if I knew where that place is... an I do.   So guess you ment can I help YOU find it. You bet I can...   ”Well geeezz man no games here just where is it”   Well friend Yer In It sir.    North be that a way n sun sets in the West.   Keep on rocken!   Zoom.   They gone... 😎 Xzna is always on guard n We Got This Corona Crap Under Control!!!   Enjoy they day n Tacos tonight!   T         
    • Wanderer
      Always been googly eyed over the Judge!  Nice!  I had a Trans Am, a buddy had ‘68 Firebird with a built big block wedged in there.  Buddy’s BIL had a parade of cool cars in those days; Camaros, Road Runner, 442, and a big ‘ol Coronet 500 with a 440 he painted up real pretty.     Cone tops!    And the reel that wound the line on backward, but sweet!
    • jkrash
      I was thinking April 20th for ice out but with the cooler night time temps next week I'm thinking April 27th now. The ice is starting to pull away from the shoreline which is a good sign.  
    • gimruis
      They knew this could be a problem at the Rainy River for the early walleye/sturgeon season so they shut her down before it even started.  Last week at Oconto, WI (Green Bay) there were WAY too many people from out of state (MN, IL) and across the state of Wisconsin there fishing so they shut that area down too.  People can't be driving across the state to do this like they normally would, and they can't pack their boats with 4 or 5 people either.  Go by yourself or with maybe one other person you have already been around and stay close to your house.  Keep your distance at the landing like Bob said otherwise it will only take a few abusers to ruin it for the rest of us.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.