• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tools of the trade

IceHawk

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Starting to go through my Turkey vest and started practicing some of my turkey calling again. Yes Ill admit I'm no Will Primos ? In fact far from that but I can strike up a cord or two with the turkeys ? As far as calls go Ill start with some of the ones I personally use. 

LOCATOR CALLS - I use 3 different ones a Owl hoot, crow, pheasant cackle for location or pinnign down the location of a TOM. Shock gobbles work also but be very carefull it can draw hunters on public land so watch your backside. 

BOX- One of the easiest to use a great call for beginners. Easy to make some of the basic sounds on it. In fact probably the most common call in peoples Turkey vests. Tip use a box call rubber band or make sure call is secured or when walking through woods call will make some unwanted noises. 

Diaphragm calls-Probably one of the best but also the hardest. Takes some practice and is not for everyone. Some people will have a serious gag reflex when attempting to use one. Positive you can make quick putts purrs, clucks etc with one. Probably the best call to master and best for a ground hunter without  blind. Takes away all hand movements when you got a Tom in close. 

Friction Calls- My Favorites I've been using friction calls for years. For Very windy days I use a Crystal top to strike out there cut through wind very loud birds can hear it from long ways off. For reaching up over a ridge distance on a more calm day you cant beat glass kind of a medium range call.  Slate is the one I use when right in the woods calm days and have birds close by a very soft more subtle call that produces great results with birds in closer distances and face to face. 

Call conditioners- You will want to add a stone, sand paper, chalk to keep all your calls in good working condition. A high pitch unwanted  squeal will send a Tom running in no time! 

Decoys- Big fan of Flextone have a feeding and resting hen and a Jake. Plus I have a Primos B-MOBILE when I have a  aggressive dominate I'm after. At last resort and I have shot couple using a mojo scoot-and-shoot . This is a true rush if you haven't tried it! ?

Blinds- Been using Ameristep doghouses for years, Setup 4 of them on my private property's in strategic locations but if all else fails have a vest and seat and will get right up in there faces if I have to.

Just throwing out some of the tools of the trade that have helped me be very successful in Harvesting some nice Toms over the years. 

IMG_0791[195].jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

We sure need lottsa stuff to have fun in the great outdoors. Gotta live mn. 4 seasons of different supplies. ?

• Yayyyy 1

13 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

We sure need lottsa stuff to have fun in the great outdoors. Gotta live mn. 4 seasons of different supplies. ?

And 4 areas of the house to store it in ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Great stuff IceHawk!! I use friction calls and my trusty crossbow. For decoys I use avian x I will post photos this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

This is one technique you have to try scoot and shoot!  If you haven't Its a rush I've done it a few times! Had one almost run me over 2 years ago doing this always in my truck for those special times. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Yayyyy 1

This weekend i will spraying my blind with tick repellent, my hunting clothes, and boots. So I will be ready 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awesome read Tom Thanks that one hit Home!

This morning and last few days it's been all about trying to get some Turkey patterns figured out on my properties. What I'm seeing is still some winter flocks but they are slowly breaking up more and more. On warm days a lot more strutting open filed observation is being noticed and on colder ones they are hanging in the woods a lot more and gobbling on the roost less. Been finding piles of scratchings in the oaks lately. A tell sign they re eating grubs bugs and worms. Tip- by looking at the scratchings  you can usally tell there direction of travel. The open spot  indicates there forward progress and the pile of leaves there back route from where they came. Turkeys usally scratch with two legs and swipe with one before moving on. Watched a few do this over the years ? With some warmer temps bugs will start in winter wheat fields and once farmers turn some fields they will be grubbing right behind. This morning they were on fire gobbling non stop in the roosts. heard at least 6 different gobblers. One of those mornings you wish you were hunting. ? Think I have a good count on the amount of birds on my properties  seeing   plenty of Toms to be successful now its up to me ?. Hopefully in few more scouting sessions I start to put together a plan. Been one of my harder springs to get a gameplan set. Starting to second guess my sets and don't like to do that.  This weather is throwing me a curve so to speak ? Well hopefully others are getting things dialed in.It all starts next week WED for some me I'm waiting a little longer. But will be ready once B hits ?

Sign in my usually woods/property is down significantly for this time of year.  Isaac and I found 3 recently used roost locations yesterday, as well 2 heavy scratching areas.  Almost no sign of them using their normal open field areas.

Very little gobbling this morning, an almost zero talk after 7 am.  Maybe the wind made it difficult to hear?

I agree they seem more difficult to pattern this year, but obviously less visible being they are not using the open much at all yet.

Looking forward to the start of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just bought my license for "C" season.   Unless it's an early spring and the weather looks to be stable I stay away from the earlier seasons.  I've hunted all of the seasons and the most productive fir me have been "C" and "G/H".  Birds are much more pattern able later in the spring.   "A/B" has always been boom or bust for us.  A lot depends on when the flocks break up.  Good luck to everyone and hope you find a big gobbler that comes strutting into your set whatever season you hunt. 

25 minutes ago, Borch said:

Just bought my license for "C" season.   Unless it's an early spring and the weather looks to be stable I stay away from the earlier seasons.  I've hunted all of the seasons and the most productive fir me have been "C" and "G/H".  Birds are much more pattern able later in the spring.   "A/B" has always been boom or bust for us.  A lot depends on when the flocks break up.  Good luck to everyone and hope you find a big gobbler that comes strutting into your set whatever season you hunt. 

C could be banner this year with the weather we are having. I know one thing A season hunters better have some heaters in there blinds wow ? Always thought about those later seasons but with my work and fishing on my mind never tried them or really had time unless i'm staying out of my boat and that's not happening LOL! . Know a few guys that swear by last two weeks and have repeated success. Fortunately I've gotten my bird and haven't had to use the last two weeks to fill a tag knock on some serious wood ?  Started hunting C and had some success then switched  to B and that has been pretty good to me  harvested most of my birds on it. I know later seasons has advantages way less hunters the lack of pressure  can really settle down a pressured bird. The first 3 seasons every good turkey ground is pretty much flooded with hunters or ones who don't have some are  looking for spots.The birds get educated real quick for sure!  Some of my landowners have been turning guys away a lot lately asking for permission. 

• Thumbs Up 1