• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question regarding suckers

Decanno1

So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!

• I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have seen suckers reproduce in ponds before. I would research what species of sucker is best of ponds.

• Thanks 1

They do better with moving water for spawning.  If no streams or flowing water is available, they will spawn very close to shore in the shallow areas. 

The only real way to figure it out is to give it a shot though. 

• Thanks 1

Make sure its a private pond.  Stocking or transplanting fish into public waters is definitely against the rules.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Make sure its a private pond.  Stocking or transplanting fish into public waters is definitely against the rules.

unless you get a permit from the DNR and buy them from a fish farm...………….so said the fisheries people who told me they wont do anything to restock the cabin lake that has had winter kill, severe winter kill the past 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, Decanno1 said:

So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!

An I thought this was a question about me. ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 3/26/2020 at 10:58 AM, BobT said:

An I thought this was a question about me. ?

Good one.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:26 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stock the pond with suckers?

We inherited a gravel pit and wanted to put in a baitfish population for catfish

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:19 AM, gimruis said:

It’s a gravel pit we own so that’s not an issue. We’d be buying them anyways 

• Thanks 1