• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Decanno1

So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!

• I Like it 1

monstermoose78

I have seen suckers reproduce in ponds before. I would research what species of sucker is best of ponds.

• Thanks 1

Rick G

They do better with moving water for spawning.  If no streams or flowing water is available, they will spawn very close to shore in the shallow areas. 

The only real way to figure it out is to give it a shot though. 

• Thanks 1

JBMasterAngler

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stock the pond with suckers?

gimruis

Make sure its a private pond.  Stocking or transplanting fish into public waters is definitely against the rules.

• Thanks 1

smurfy
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Make sure its a private pond.  Stocking or transplanting fish into public waters is definitely against the rules.

unless you get a permit from the DNR and buy them from a fish farm...………….so said the fisheries people who told me they wont do anything to restock the cabin lake that has had winter kill, severe winter kill the past 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

BobT
On 3/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, Decanno1 said:

So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!

An I thought this was a question about me. 🙃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

Rick
On 3/26/2020 at 10:58 AM, BobT said:

An I thought this was a question about me. 🙃

Good one.

Decanno1
On 3/25/2020 at 9:26 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stock the pond with suckers?

We inherited a gravel pit and wanted to put in a baitfish population for catfish

• Thanks 1

Decanno1
On 3/26/2020 at 8:19 AM, gimruis said:

It’s a gravel pit we own so that’s not an issue. We’d be buying them anyways 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Fished a few spots on the Horseshoe  chain this afternoon pretty slow yet surface  water temps were around 35 degrees.  Water levels are up and plenty of bottom content floating in some of the channels and bays. Felt great to get back on some open water and use the long Rods again. 👍Plenty of boats out there running around. 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Really cant wait for some of these Regulations to be put into Place on Some  lakes. Way overdue IMO. Please when these meetings are formed lets all try and make it to some and give some honest quality input. Even if you are against some of the New regulation limit changes  being talked about. We all need to come together and figure out someway to protect our Trophy Panfish. So all of us and future generations can enjoy the future! 

• Mark Jurgensen
      By Mark Jurgensen
      Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Perhaps we should call this the COVID - 19 fishing report.  As you can imagine, some really cool annual traditions with Mother Nature are happening right now around Lake of the Woods.
      With the current times, other than some local anglers fishing in their own backyard where they have private access, things are pretty quiet.  Let's get through this chapter and look ahead as the walleyes are definitely waiting, willing and able!
      As many of you have read, in response to the COVID - 19 situation, the City of Baudette has closed it's two public access points on the Rainy River, Koochiching County has closed their four access points to the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods County has also temporarily closed their access points.  These closures are temporary in nature and are being reviewed often.  Kooch County will review again April 14th which is the last day of the walleye season on LOW and the Rainy River. 
      We want to express our sincere appreciation and thanks for all who come up to the Lake of the Woods area throughout the year.  Our community and small businesses are very tourism focused and dependent.  This is a tough time for many for a variety of reasons.  We look forward to getting this chapter behind us and creating wonderful memories with you again in the near future.  Be safe and thank you.
      On the south end...  Ice conditions this March have held very well.  As mentioned, low amount of traffic due to the times.  Anglers out have been catching big pike as is traditional this time of year as well as walleyes and saugers.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is starting to open with a few local anglers with private access getting on the open water.  As you can imagine, some big walleyes in the river.  The spring walleye season goes through April 14th and will not be available to most this year.  Looking forward to sturgeon season and the MN fishing opener May 9th!
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few locals still ice fishing.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch and an occasional pike or eelpout in the mix.  Looking forward to open water.  

• CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.

I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      First pic is from April 1 2017 in the kayak. Second pic is April 21 2018 on 18 inches of ice. Same lake. Looks like 2020 will be like 2017. 

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      I checked it on Sunday about 25 feet of ice by landing. If anyone drives by could you let me know when the landing is open. Might go here first if possible sometimes the crappies and sunfish will be in the bay there. I could use some yummy fillets. Thank You!
    • ducksnbucks
      By ducksnbucks
      Hi all, my two girls are clawing at each other and its only been a week...… I need to get them outside. Thinking of driving up and doing some tip up fishing for an afternoon on Sunday or Monday. I have never done pike fishing in the winter on Mille Lacs and am just curious if anyone could give me any pointers? Don't need exact spots, just general areas to start and maybe show them a few pike on flags. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, thanks! 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• VermilionGold
      Timberjay article says it will be open by the end of May.   http://www.timberjay.com/stories/cook-zups-nears-re-opening,16209  
    • Sculpin
      My folks would go to St Cloud about once a month, and if we were very lucky, they would bring home a case of pop from Minars bottling. The old wooden red cases.  You could still get a cone for 5 cents at the DQ on the corner of 33rd.
    • Rick
      Welcome to FM @fishingallday   Keep us posted on how things are going in NY...please?
    • Bob Schultz
      Have not heard a thing for months now on building progress- has the panic shutdown stopped the construction or are we still on schedule for a new store by July 4th ? 
    • Kettle
      Welcome fishingallday from NY, NY? 🤔
    • TomWehler
      Guy down the bay is nice but a bit odd. I mean he is still looken for the lefty monkey wrench we asked him for in 1996.   Few years ago he told me to come see his sign he made for a concert he was heading to.   So couple days later I was passing an he showed me the sign.   It read  "I LOVE YOU STEVIE!"   SO I ask, what concert ya going to  ~ Thinking it was  maybe Fleetwood Mack n Stevie Nicks...?   Nope he said I am Stevie Wonder guy!!!   I think of this moment a lot....Big Smiles!   T      
    • gimruis
      I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.   I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.   As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.
    • TomWehler
      In 70’z. Drive up liquor stores were just a dream. Up on the sidewalk..Bing Boom Bam... Now a reality—-just call or text order ahead, drive up n runner brings yer order right to what ever yer driving. Truck, car, horse or Moose! They have the juice to turn ya loose... 🕶 Good n bad here n just my luck to be sober 32 years! DOH!   Juice On!   T  
    • TomWehler
      I Guy drives up to the Marauder Boys n me on dock. Big new Ranger full up with toys.  “Yea hey...you live here?   Ya.  This is my place...my boyz...   ”Ya so just learning this rig an easy wondering if you Know where Northern or Pike Bay is”   We sure could....says me Musky T   After a minute “So you gonna tell me or what?”   Ohhhh ...you asked if I knew where that place is... an I do.   So guess you ment can I help YOU find it. You bet I can...   ”Well geeezz man no games here just where is it”   Well friend Yer In It sir.    North be that a way n sun sets in the West.   Keep on rocken!   Zoom.   They gone... 😎 Xzna is always on guard n We Got This Corona Crap Under Control!!!   Enjoy they day n Tacos tonight!   T         
    • Wanderer
      Always been googly eyed over the Judge!  Nice!  I had a Trans Am, a buddy had ‘68 Firebird with a built big block wedged in there.  Buddy’s BIL had a parade of cool cars in those days; Camaros, Road Runner, 442, and a big ‘ol Coronet 500 with a 440 he painted up real pretty.     Cone tops!    And the reel that wound the line on backward, but sweet!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.