• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crazy times

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

With all the craziness going on. I need turkey season to focus my mind on something. I need to shoot the crossbow soon and get the gear sprayed for ticks. I thought about getting a lay down hen but do I really need another turkey decoy?

The turkeys are using the corn field on the neighbors land but I will cut them suckers off. I cleared a spot last year so I can shoot behind my blind. 

let’s get some good turkey talk going on in here!! Come on guys.

Note from Editor: We have a Turkey contest going on HSO. You can win a "Legends of the Outdoors

Hall of Fame Boxcall."

Let's hear your turkey talk and see your pics here 1st, then......

Screenshot_20200307-133344_Chrome.jpg

Click here to enter the turkey contest.Win the Box call above....BUT

RESPOND IN THIS THREAD 1ST!

• l Love It 1

Hopefully turkey decoys are not as addicting as ice jigs!!  ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

I am just hoping right now that a license agent will be open when I decide to by a license.  Still trying to decide between taking the bow or shotgun.  This Covid thing is complicating my decision making.

The son is chomping at the bit to get out, I hope that continues when the season actually starts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Purchase online?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Eyeguy I got 4 turkey decoys and I am thinking I could get a bigger spread and make look like a huge flock of turkeys.

• Yayyyy 1

Cant hurt. I have only hunted them a few times so no idea what’s best. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Cant hurt. I have only hunted them a few times so no idea what’s best. 

It depends Eyeguy on how the turkey feels. 

• Yayyyy 1

The two I did put an arrow in were really fun. On the first one two Toms came in a and  stood right right by my decoy. The second one didn’t come close since he was following a couple hens. So I got out of my blind and stalked him. Got to a good cover spot and fortunately the hens started coming my way. ?  

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering that if the Governor declares a "shelter in place" order will we even be allowed to go turkey hunting?  Technically turkey hunting is not "essential."

On the decoy subject, I have found that sometimes NO decoys work better when hunting pressured birds too.  Calling too much can be a hindrance too.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

yup, i've had no decoys work, lots of decoys work, but the think i lean towards more and more is fewer decoys and less calling. Especially on pressured ground. After a few weekends the birds have seen decoys and heard it all. So the less the better. Or course we are talking turkeys, so the next day you can go nuts and still have it work. 

I'm hoping things don't get to crazy. I'll have to stop by my favorite turkey spot on some essential trip. or take a big roll of TP into the words, walking out with the excuse of...well it was essential I go into the woods. Us crazy turkey maniacs will find some way to pull it off. Just no sharing blinds i guess. 

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
3 hours ago, gimruis said:

I'm wondering that if the Governor declares a "shelter in place" order will we even be allowed to go turkey hunting?  Technically turkey hunting is not "essential."

On the decoy subject, I have found that sometimes NO decoys work better when hunting pressured birds too.  Calling too much can be a hindrance too.

Asking myself the same thing. couple of us were discussing this stuff last night. will these kind of luxuries be allowed  ? See what happens in next few weeks. 

• I Like it 2

5 hours ago, gimruis said:

2 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Asking myself the same thing. couple of us were discussing this stuff last night. will these kind of luxuries be allowed  ? See what happens in next few weeks. 

No turkey hunting , far from essential, how could one even think it would be possible , my oh my !!!

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

If I am not allowed to go to the woods I will lose my mind!! That is my place to rewind and get myself back together mentally to handle everything else. Self care is essential to everyone!!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

8 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

No turkey hunting , far from essential, how could one even think it would be possible , my oh my !!!

Now I tend to lean to the cautious side, but come on Bigfatbert! (Sorry if that was sarcasm) I understand it is not essential, when turkey hunting I need not come in contact with anyone or anything that I could infect or be infected by!  I get in my vehicle, walk into the woods, I shoot a turkey, walk back to truck, drive home, register online, take pics, dress the bird, then come on here and tell you all about the beautiful day outside and the hunt.  

I refuse to be trapped inside these 4 walls, being outside in the sun and fresh air is far better for you than being in the stagnant air inside.  

Continued health to all and God bless.

Edited by ANYFISH2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Now I tend to lean to the cautious side, but come on Bigfatbert! (Sorry if that was sarcasm) I understand it is not essential, when turkey hunting I need not come in contact with anyone or anything that I could infect or be infected by!  I get in my vehicle, walk into the woods, I shoot a turkey, walk back to truck, drive home, register online, take pics, dress the bird, then come on here and tell you all about the beautiful day outside and the hunt.  

I refuse to be trapped inside these 4 walls, being outside in the sun and fresh air is far better for you than being in the stagnant air inside.  

Continued health to all and God bless.

Enjoy your hunt if you must  , but do ya think that’s how all others day or days will play out . By chance have you seen the chart that explains what happens when just one person infects just one other person , It’s not a start to a good scenario whatsoever..Let’s all make a sacrifice and get through this then we can all turkey hunt next year , giving up one season ain’t gonna kill ya anyfish. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely respect your stance, I truly do.

If I am allowed to hunt I will.  I will also take all necessary precautions to protect myself and others like I should.  It is the responsibility of all of us to do our part to avoid situations that endanger others.  

I have a cousin in Colorado that is currently fighting off Covid-19.  I know of her struggles and the difficulty of this virus.  I can not be a prisoner of fear, I can however live everyday with respect for others while still enjoying the precious gift of life I have been given. 

I have witnessed to much death in the last year to curl up and fear the challenges of life. 

I watched my hero fight cancer and take her last breath, while being the strongest and most fearless person in the room.  

I apologize for this, this is a Turkey thread not a thread for Brian's philosophy.

Again I understand and respect your opinion.  Good night.

Edited by ANYFISH2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

If this is the new normal as has been stated many times, are we going to be expected to shelter in place from January to June every time new virus pops up?

There is inherent risk to live.  I will chose to live until my time is up.  

Without getting into this further here, you can rest assured I understand what the current world conditions are and how we impact one other.  We can be safe and still live.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

What a complex subject...ethics.

Every day 100 people die in car accidents in the US.  Do we shelter from cars?  There is no way the world economy can withstand a no risk environment.   Somehow we have accepted risk profiles from what has developed over time, but are having trouble with evaluating new risks.  I am not questioning the world response to the current virus but for sure coming out of this there needs to be some serious analysis on what is socially and economically acceptable (this will support PhD theses for years to come).  In the UK approval of a new drug requires a calculation of the value of the drug.  In that calculation, they actually put a value on a human life; seems like a very cold approach but that is one example of what may be to come.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I think "outdoor recreation" including turkey hunting, fishing, etc will be permitted should the governor declares a shelter in place order.  Michigan just enacted one yesterday and the governor there was very specific about what can and cannot be done during their order, as long as social distancing guidelines are followed.  Turkey hunting solo mission in the woods  where absolutely no interaction between people takes place seems perfectly safe and allowable to me.  Buying live bait and coming into contact with someone to pay for it before you go fishing would certainly be against the rules, but there are ways around that - use artificial lures instead.  If I load up my boat, go to the access, launch my boat, fish for a few hours, and then come back home without interacting with anyone other than the dog, I have followed the rules.  If I have to buy gas for the boat or truck, I'll pay at the pump.

Edited by gimruis
  • I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw a news update from MN Chamber of Commerce that our governor is looking to get insight from mathematical models to predict the outcome of different approaches to restrictions.  Smart if we have good models for this; no idea if this is the case.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy those turkeys are on the move the last few days. I have seen mire turkeys than deer on my way to work. They must be breaking up the winter flocks. What are you all seeing?

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen much, however I did hear my first gobble a few minutes ago.

The neighbors, where I hunt have been been seeing and hearing a decent number the last week and half.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to stop for a parade of strutting toms and hens crossing the street in Albertville.

1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

Boy those turkeys are on the move the last few days. I have seen mire turkeys than deer on my way to work. They must be breaking up the winter flocks. What are you all seeing?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Been seeing them come through my yard for about a month or more.  Pretty much all hens and their broods from last year.  Saw a nice tom while I was checking my creek for wood ducks and my neighbor has had them strutting around his feeder regularly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to acquire permission at 4 locations on private land to hunt this spring.  Three of them I have had permission in the past so I expected to receive it again.  The new spot looks promising.  I like to have contingency locations in the event that the first spot isn't producing or the birds have wised up.

Some might wonder how I'm able to get permission on private land to hunt.  I'll tell you.  I scout, knock on doors, and ask for permission.  I've been doing this for turkeys, pheasants, and ducks for almost 20 years.  Over the years I've accumulated good spots and landowners often let you come back once they give you permission the first time.  For all of you complaining that public land is crowded and pressured with other hunters: quit complaining.  Time, effort, and persistence will work.  It has for me, and it can for you.

• Thumbs Up 3

Been scouting and walking my 3 private pieces I hunt and have been seeing quite a few birds. Seems like as others are stating that the winter flocks are starting to break up.  Have a few nice Toms on all of them. One piece has over 40 birds still fairly grouped up hope they bust apart  soon.  Food sources are keys to location right now if your farmers hauled any fresh manure out in the fields wont take long and they will be there watch for them. 

IMG_0766[193].jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2020 at 5:40 PM, monstermoose78 said:

If I am not allowed to go to the woods I will lose my mind!! That is my place to rewind and get myself back together mentally to handle everything else. Self care is essential to everyone!!

Nick I know where your coming from. Nature and the sounds of spring are way better than seeing a Psychiatrist and a lot cheaper. ?

• l Love It 2

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

I was able to acquire permission at 4 locations on private land to hunt this spring.  Three of them I have had permission in the past so I expected to receive it again.  The new spot looks promising.  I like to have contingency locations in the event that the first spot isn't producing or the birds have wised up.

Some might wonder how I'm able to get permission on private land to hunt.  I'll tell you.  I scout, knock on doors, and ask for permission.  I've been doing this for turkeys, pheasants, and ducks for almost 20 years.  Over the years I've accumulated good spots and landowners often let you come back once they give you permission the first time.  For all of you complaining that public land is crowded and pressured with other hunters: quit complaining.  Time, effort, and persistence will work.  It has for me, and it can for you.

Great advise Gimrius been doing it for years and have gained access to some prime real estate. The best thing is I have formed some great friendships relationships with these landowners. Offering some help on there farms properties giving them a meal of fish venison etc or a gift card goes a long ways in sealing permission for years to come. What better scouting camera is there than the real eyes of the person that watches uses his property everyday. Hands on up to date info!

What I would recommend is right now its probably not the best time to go knocking on doors until things settle down some Many farmers are from a older generation and likely wouldn't want to have a stranger coming up to them asking for permission at this time. If you can get  phone number a call might be better option and would possibly yield better results. Sad because first impressions are huge but in this time of uncertainty a different approach would be a more sensible option. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

We may find out soon what is store for our season.

Sound like it is likely a "shelter in place" will be ordered by the governor today.  We will see what we can and can't do?

Edited by ANYFISH2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Austin12345 said:

can we not go fishing any more with the shelter in place

Austin yes you will still be able to fish just using social distancing. Outdoor activities will still be allowed. 

• l Love It 1