• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need to get the kids out! Pike advice please!

ducksnbucks

Hi all, my two girls are clawing at each other and its only been a week...… I need to get them outside. Thinking of driving up and doing some tip up fishing for an afternoon on Sunday or Monday. I have never done pike fishing in the winter on Mille Lacs and am just curious if anyone could give me any pointers? Don't need exact spots, just general areas to start and maybe show them a few pike on flags. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, thanks! 

Well If you dont want to drive all the way up there the Lindstom chain of lakes is always a good bet for some pike action dont know how thick the ice is in that chain though 

do you guys have any info on ice thickness north of the cities white bear lake, bald eagle, centerville or up up in forest lake

Sounds like fun, but I believe the legal season to target species like pike (or wally or bass) is closed until the "opener" on the ninth of may...

You can target sunnies, crappies, bullheads, suckers... (which suckers may start the annual run any day now!  I'm getting my lines ready!)

Edited by DonkeyHodey

oh ya thats right I forgot there is great panfishing In the chisago area I know some other lakes I would recomend are lewis lake and knife lake dont know ice conditions though

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Guys Pike season is still open till end of March31  for tip up fishing on Mille Lacs.  Lake You guys that want to give it a try should target the bays Isle, Wahkon, Vineland  etc. Look shallow those big pike are on there way in to put on the feed bag and get ready for spawning season.

• Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Don’t forget cove bay. Monsters roam there also. ?

Yeah, I knew Mille Lacs was the only one around with the puke season still open. The girls (9 and 6) are to impatient to sit and stare down a hole and get bored quickly but they love top up fishing and being able to run around and play while still having the chance to catch fish. 

Any reports on ice conditions up there and/or landing conditions near Isle? 

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help, I will post some pics of the girls if we get anything. 

• I Like it 1

Well, unfortunately I never made it up there, although I appreciate the offered areas to try, I hope to get up there another year to try it. Between the virus, not being able to find sucker minnows between ST. Cloud and the south end of Mille Lacs, and the non stop 20+mph winds, I decided to stay home. Plus, the girls were not thrilled to go out in the wind so I decided I didn't want to drive up there only to have them want to leave after an hour. So, instead I put the snowmobiles on the trailer, got them ready for the summer and put all ice fishing equipment away. Onto the soft water! Have a great spring everyone

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Start preparing for fishing life without the option of live bait.  If the governor declares a shelter in place order, you will not be able to stop for live bait because the bait shop will not be open.

• Thanks 1

Use hotdogs! I’m going to give it a try when I fish Mille Lacs on Thursday, because I only have a few sucker minnows left, and we’ll be running as many as 6 lines. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol I've used hot dogs before never had much luck but a couple years ago on rush lake I was with a buddy it was real cold and windy and there was 2-3 foot snow drifts so we didnt feel like moving when the spot died we were grilling hot dogs on the heater when my buddy just for the fun put a hot dog on his deadstick minutes later we noticed our sonar screens just lighting up it was insane and the fish just starting biting like crazy we thought it was just pure luck but when we pulled the hot dog out minutes later all the fish left lol

• Yayyyy 1