• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Wheezy Outdoors

Walker, Longville, Remer, Grand Rapids Area Fishing/Ice Report

Wheezy Outdoors

Ice Conditions are very exceptional still as there is not much snow left atop, or at all on most lakes. Ice thickness has remained consistent for the most part from 26” to 36” of ice. Continue to use caution however, especially on the inlets, outlets, where springs may be present and of course along the shallows and shorelines as light precipitation, sun, and warm weather can begin to erode ice extremely fast.

We are on some of the best fishing we have had yet this season as far as panfish are concerned. For the most part the bluegills are on the drop offs of weed points and inside corners. As we explained in the last report, there is not much left for standing weeds this time of year, but as these areas gain more and more sunlight each day that glorious thing we know as photosynthesis will begin to take effect bringing the life back with it. This time of year the trick is finding the schools, as they definitely are on the move. Once you find the fish the key then is to stay on top of them by remaining mobile. Thankfully we are in for some beautiful weather, making hole hopping quite enjoyable this coming weekend. You might be able to pull up a few Crappies mixed with the Gills, but most will still be out deeper. The Bluegills are covering territory as we have found them in depths ranging from 6’-22’ and Crappies anywhere from 13’-32’ of water. Jumbo Perch can also be found on the flats and along the points in 5’-10’ of water. Small Jigging Spoons still remain to be the ticket as the fish continue to favor a tipped Venom Inferno or the Clam Pinhead Minnow.

It is the prime time of target for several species other than Panfish as Burbot begin to enter into spawn, Whitefish and Tullibees have been hot to bite, and even Trout are still aggressive right now. There is still plenty of fun to be had on the ice even as we begin to prepare for the next season! Up Next... RAINY RIVER!

This week we will be digging the boat out of storage and start to get geared up for the open water. The Rainy River is opening up more and more each day and it won’t be long at all! Come enjoy the extended walleye season with Captain Justin Wiese on one of the most renowned walleye fisheries in the world. Visit our website or give us a call at 218-275-7525 for more details! You won’t want to miss out!

89716208_611426649708939_9198995297131298816_n.jpg

87879896_511259589827049_6719577377992605696_n.jpg

89166472_238653060512181_3275660806632505344_n.jpg

89355465_1673417579491078_832315914085990400_o.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Borch

Thinking about heading up to Leech or Cass to chase perch.   Any info on the current ice conditions?

IceHawk

Jeff From what I heard from my buds fishing Leech for those perch over the weekend sounded like access was still pretty good.  They were using wheelers but they always do so they can be a lot more mobile. 

• Thanks 1

Borch

Thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• smalliehunter
      By smalliehunter
      I've never chased panfish during the open water season.  I caught my first bluegill this winter, and have developed quite the crush on them.  What's your go to rod, length and action?  Plastics or bait?  Line type and lb?  Do you use a bobber?  Should I use same jigs as winter or plain hook? 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Fished a few spots on the Horseshoe  chain this afternoon pretty slow yet surface  water temps were around 35 degrees.  Water levels are up and plenty of bottom content floating in some of the channels and bays. Felt great to get back on some open water and use the long Rods again. 👍Plenty of boats out there running around. 
    • dutchboy II
      By dutchboy II
      With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Really cant wait for some of these Regulations to be put into Place on Some  lakes. Way overdue IMO. Please when these meetings are formed lets all try and make it to some and give some honest quality input. Even if you are against some of the New regulation limit changes  being talked about. We all need to come together and figure out someway to protect our Trophy Panfish. So all of us and future generations can enjoy the future! 

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      On a whim I was shore fishing in the parkway, just a smallish hook and red wigglers from the garden.The little nibblers started hitting hard after 3pm. They're hungry! I saw larger ones but they were too clever for my hook. This was a nice day to get back into the groove- get a feel for my gear and practice casting. 😄 Hopefully the big biters will come out to play soon.
      Happy Spring!

• Mark Jurgensen
      By Mark Jurgensen
      Need to get out for a while.  Any fishing being done on Cedar Lake in New Prague.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      Perhaps we should call this the COVID - 19 fishing report.  As you can imagine, some really cool annual traditions with Mother Nature are happening right now around Lake of the Woods.
      With the current times, other than some local anglers fishing in their own backyard where they have private access, things are pretty quiet.  Let's get through this chapter and look ahead as the walleyes are definitely waiting, willing and able!
      As many of you have read, in response to the COVID - 19 situation, the City of Baudette has closed it's two public access points on the Rainy River, Koochiching County has closed their four access points to the Rainy River and Lake of the Woods County has also temporarily closed their access points.  These closures are temporary in nature and are being reviewed often.  Kooch County will review again April 14th which is the last day of the walleye season on LOW and the Rainy River. 
      We want to express our sincere appreciation and thanks for all who come up to the Lake of the Woods area throughout the year.  Our community and small businesses are very tourism focused and dependent.  This is a tough time for many for a variety of reasons.  We look forward to getting this chapter behind us and creating wonderful memories with you again in the near future.  Be safe and thank you.
      On the south end...  Ice conditions this March have held very well.  As mentioned, low amount of traffic due to the times.  Anglers out have been catching big pike as is traditional this time of year as well as walleyes and saugers.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is starting to open with a few local anglers with private access getting on the open water.  As you can imagine, some big walleyes in the river.  The spring walleye season goes through April 14th and will not be available to most this year.  Looking forward to sturgeon season and the MN fishing opener May 9th!
      Up at the NW Angle...  A few locals still ice fishing.  Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch and an occasional pike or eelpout in the mix.  Looking forward to open water.  

• CaptJohnWis
      By CaptJohnWis
      I heard from a buddy that there will be no fishing allowed on the river this spring. Any truth to that? I think it is a good idea otherwise there will be people coming up in droves as usual. Stay in your house and say some prayers.

I am stuck in my house down here in Texas and hope to eventually get back up North. Canada border closed so I couldn't hit my favorite spots on Rainy Lake anyway.
    • BDR
      By BDR
      Today on West Rush, in a smaller bay. I Stepped on a unseen drain hole or enlarged old fishing hole today. 1 leg went all the way thru. Luckily other leg and i stayed on top. I was traveling where I knew it was only 4-5 feet deep. All ice I drilled was 13-16 inches but soft. Hot shower and clean undies never felt so good. lol.  Be safe everyone!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Sculpin
      My folks would go to St Cloud about once a month, and if we were very lucky, they would bring home a case of pop from Minars bottling. The old wooden red cases.  You could still get a cone for 5 cents at the DQ on the corner of 33rd.
    • Rick
      Welcome to FM @fishingallday   Keep us posted on how things are going in NY...please?
    • Bob Schultz
      Have not heard a thing for months now on building progress- has the panic shutdown stopped the construction or are we still on schedule for a new store by July 4th ? 
    • Kettle
      Welcome fishingallday from NY, NY? 🤔
    • TomWehler
      Guy down the bay is nice but a bit odd. I mean he is still looken for the lefty monkey wrench we asked him for in 1996.   Few years ago he told me to come see his sign he made for a concert he was heading to.   So couple days later I was passing an he showed me the sign.   It read  "I LOVE YOU STEVIE!"   SO I ask, what concert ya going to  ~ Thinking it was  maybe Fleetwood Mack n Stevie Nicks...?   Nope he said I am Stevie Wonder guy!!!   I think of this moment a lot....Big Smiles!   T      
    • gimruis
      I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.   I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.   As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.
    • TomWehler
      In 70’z. Drive up liquor stores were just a dream. Up on the sidewalk..Bing Boom Bam... Now a reality—-just call or text order ahead, drive up n runner brings yer order right to what ever yer driving. Truck, car, horse or Moose! They have the juice to turn ya loose... 🕶 Good n bad here n just my luck to be sober 32 years! DOH!   Juice On!   T  
    • TomWehler
      I Guy drives up to the Marauder Boys n me on dock. Big new Ranger full up with toys.  “Yea hey...you live here?   Ya.  This is my place...my boyz...   ”Ya so just learning this rig an easy wondering if you Know where Northern or Pike Bay is”   We sure could....says me Musky T   After a minute “So you gonna tell me or what?”   Ohhhh ...you asked if I knew where that place is... an I do.   So guess you ment can I help YOU find it. You bet I can...   ”Well geeezz man no games here just where is it”   Well friend Yer In It sir.    North be that a way n sun sets in the West.   Keep on rocken!   Zoom.   They gone... 😎 Xzna is always on guard n We Got This Corona Crap Under Control!!!   Enjoy they day n Tacos tonight!   T         
    • Wanderer
      Always been googly eyed over the Judge!  Nice!  I had a Trans Am, a buddy had ‘68 Firebird with a built big block wedged in there.  Buddy’s BIL had a parade of cool cars in those days; Camaros, Road Runner, 442, and a big ‘ol Coronet 500 with a 440 he painted up real pretty.     Cone tops!    And the reel that wound the line on backward, but sweet!
    • jkrash
      I was thinking April 20th for ice out but with the cooler night time temps next week I'm thinking April 27th now. The ice is starting to pull away from the shoreline which is a good sign.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.