• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

IceHawk

Any people on here still go after smelt?. Sure some of the old timers on here  did it in the past. Was pretty popular back in the day.  We did it for years took a revamped school bus up with a crew guys  every year. Was quite the experience. Plenty of adult beverages campfires smelt nets and total mayham. Saw some pretty crazy stuff happen up there guys slipping in the riveretc and luckily grabbing a fellow smelters net to get pulled in before they go swept all the way down.  The yell of smelt smelt was the dinner bell to start scooping when they started running. We always hit the Lester river hit Grandmas first 😂 then out to the river to dip away and hopefully not drown. Brought buckets back some years. Good times now I just hit a few smelt frys and enjoy the tame life 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

smurfy

So just were around here are them smelt fries??🤔 if sure like to hit one.

Never did the smelt thing but heard plenty of stories.

• Yayyyy 1

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

Hit slim creek on burntside for smelt it’s loaded with them!! 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

IceHawk

Smurfy  there's one in Eden Valley every year at the St Paul's Lutheran church. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Jack and Jim’s in Duelm has a great one  I heard

Edited by monstermoose78
  • I Like it 1

smurfy
11 hours ago, IceHawk said:

any date???????? or you wanna keep it all to yourself!!!!!!😂:rolleyes:

IceHawk
3 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Jack and Jim’s in Duelm has a great one  I heard

Another excellent one ! No date out yet on Eden Valley one or the one at the Queen bee in Paynseville. Sure something will be advertised soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

Used to go to the exact same place Chris. Also watched plenty of drunken sailors fall in and get pulled out. Lots of smelt frys. Good stuff!

jigginjim

Been many years since I had done the smelt netting, I was 15 at that time with the boy scouts of New London, mn.  Saw a program of guys doing it through the ice,  now that ice conditions are getting iffy, now I'm getting the bug to hit the lakes.  The Ice went out today on Buffalo lake, the water is going up, the crow river is backing up into the lakes.  

Has anybody tired smelt fishing grindstone lake?  Looking for other lakes that may have those tasty little fish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Rick
      By Rick
      In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you!!

Your sacrifice and courage gave us a country where we can pursue our dreams without the fear of others denying our freedom, essential liberty and ability to pursue happiness. Thank you.

I promise your sacrifice has not been made in vain. I will always be vigilant protecting what you so courageously bought for all of us. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Courage and love, over fear and hatred...ALWAYS!

THANK YOU VETERANS who gave everything that we might live FREE!
    • NDAngler
      By NDAngler
      Hey folks,
      First post here. I've really wanted to get into smallmouth fishing. It's hard to track down reports about rivers and creeks, so I was wondering if there are any nice smallmouth creeks around Ottertail County. I live about 50 miles into southeast ND and I have a couple cabins I can stay at around Otter Tail. I would really appreciate any information you are willing to share. Thank you!
    • Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      Ended up going out to the South end of the lake this weekend. Did ok for bites not knowing the lake so only brought home one pike. Saw quite a few more but they were all too big to keep with the 24-36 slot in effect. Biggest surprise was catching a small pout on my first cast yesterday. Definitely a river lake.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      5.18.2020 On the south end...  Resorts are open and anglers enjoying fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 20 - 30 feet of water.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink or gold / orange colors hard to beat.  South end water temps warmer than north end of lake.  Fish on the south end mainly post spawn, up north, still spawning.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike continue to be caught as well.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleyes were caught in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  Some fish still being caught in the Four Mile Bay and the Bostic Bay areas.  Fish are post spawn.  Some shiners are in the river holding fish. The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points and reefs close to islands in 8 - 25 feet of water effective.  Some good fish also coming on crankbaits in 8-12' of water. 

• Muskies
      By Muskies
      Hello everyone.
      I have not seen or heard from anyone on the form so I thought I would post some pictures of opening weekend on rainy lake, May 16 and 17. Water is about 18” low from July levels and water temperature is 56 degrees as of Sunday. The walleyes and bass were caught on jig and minnows in 8’- 12’ of water. 

• hooksetter
      By hooksetter
      Has anyone fished a small lake near Cross Lake called Velvet Lake? I am looking at property on the lake and may have to make a decision before exploring the lake!

Thank you for any information. 

mark hooksetter
    • SteinBizer
      By SteinBizer
      Who’s ready for pre spawn? Water temps on the river should be getting close right? I lived on the Minnesota River most my life now I’m stuck in central and I’m not a lake fishing guy. Anyone off the Minnesota, Mississippi, or St. Croix have any updates on water temps in those rivers, feel free to reply! I’m scratchin to go cat’n ! Going out this weekend to fill the bait tank with some bullheads. 
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Catfishing the Red River? In the F/M area?

What works best for catfishing in the F/M area?
      Whats the contour of the Red River like for someone to see where to fish?
      Are any of the dam spots good for catfishing?

What has worked for you?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Hookmaster
      The warranty is in place. I didn't ask how to fix it or if the dealer would fix it. I was just wondering where the tubing off the nipple goes. I thought I'd ask here before the dealer.
    • Skibo
      On Big Bay we experienced levels of boat traffic like you did - it was more than most any 4th of July weekend.  On Saturday night at 8 pm, we were in the middle of Big Bay and counted 77 boats that we could see from that spot.  After seeing all that boat traffic we figured there would be lots of traffic on the way home, but we left at 4:30 pm and were very pleasantly surprised that there was no traffic to speak of.  Either everyone left early, or they were staying until today.
    • Mike89
      if it's a new 2020 boat where is the warranty on this???  
    • Hookmaster
      New 2020 boat. Livewell is leaking into the boat. Upon further review I found the leak. It's on the white fitting of the recirculation system where the water goes back into the livewell. I'm sure the rigger broke the little nipple on the right side when he installed the fuel/water separating filter as the gray gas line is right there. My question is where does the tubing from the little nipple go? The front livewell?  
    • Wanderer
      Agreed, the eyes didn’t look healthy and didn’t have much spunk, even for walleyes.  We caught some off the dock fishing leeches under floats in about 8-9 fow.   Lots of boats out!  I don’t visit Mille Lacs much so I don’t know if the memorial crowd was more than usual but I have a feeling it wasn’t.  Except for the rain showers that moved through we could count anywhere from 45 -100 boats from the dock at any given time.
    • rumeye
      My brother was up there on Sunday with the Nephew and had a 70 fish day. He said most were 18 to 21 inches with a few 22 23's and 24's mixed in. Think they also got a few 25 and 26ers. Leech's lindy rigging off Agate reef and Half moon deep side 21 ft plus. 
    • rumeye
      Did some Crappie fishing in the area over the weekend the bite was on. Grandson had a blast. Wife also had a good day fishing for once. They were some very nice sized fish. Plain hook and minnow and ice fishing teardrop lures in green did the trick with minnow. One day plain hook ruled next day green jigs did.
    • rumeye
      Some nice Catfish down further towards Pokegama also.  
    • SkunkedAgain
      In my 15+ years of ownership, I have never seen boat traffic like we had in Black Bay over the week/weekend. During the week there were 5-10 boats and each day while this weekend there were 20-30 boats from morning-to-night hunting crappies. There was no hot spot, just boats everywhere.    When I finally went home last night after 1.5 weeks up, I noted that someone backed their trailer into the dock at The Landing. The rubber bumper was hanging off. It must have been a hoot to sit around watching all of the boats going in and out.
    • Vlewis128
      No one has any advice?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.