• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mooneye and Shad

Decanno1

Hey guys, I’m going to try something new this year and target mooneye and other shad for catfish bait this year! My only issues are that I don’t know anything about how to locate them or fish them. I mainly fish from shore and want to try something new. If anyone could provide me with tips on how to rig rods for them, where to look, preferably somewhat close to New Hope MN, and what I should use, I’d be extremely happy. 

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @Decanno1.

Once you put all the pieces together let me know. The mooneye I've caught have been where streams enter the Minnesota River. Tossing as small a jig as I could to get down fast and avoid snagging the bottom. The eddies are where to look for them. 

I'm sure there are more experienced on here as I've never intentionally targeted mooneyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2020 at 5:39 PM, Decanno1 said:

Hey guys, I’m going to try something new this year and target mooneye and other shad for catfish bait this year! My only issues are that I don’t know anything about how to locate them or fish them. I mainly fish from shore and want to try something new. If anyone could provide me with tips on how to rig rods for them, where to look, preferably somewhat close to New Hope MN, and what I should use, I’d be extremely happy. 

You can find Mooneyes and Goldeyes in the Mississippi from the Ford Dam and downstream, and the St Croix. To a lesser extent, in the Minnesota River, and the Cannon River. They will hit small crankbaits and inline spinners, but if I were targeting them, I'd use a worm.

Gizzard Shad are more common but in my experience, they aren't all that catchable. I've often fished water where I can see them but I haven't ever caught one. Maybe they'd take a chunk of worm.

If I were you, I'd consider making a run up to the Clearwater river and catching a load of big chubs and shiners. it is really easy to find and catch a lot of 5-7" minnows in that river. 

A fun tool for researching this stuff is the Fishes of Minnesota Mapper on the DNR site. You can filter for species and find a ton of survey info that isn't available through MN DNR Lakefinder surveys.

• l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      Well seeing as nobody wants to take the reigns.... I'm gonna set a date for a small get together and see where this goes.  March 13, Richmond Mn.... 
      Not sure if we will do prizes or food yet... though my offer to buy burgers and fixings still stands if we can get a grill set up lined up for sure.   
      There will be no host, unless someone wants the spot. I will however provide details on ice conditions and location in the coming weeks.

If for whatever reason catfish don't work out, panfish can be found close by.   
    • Grayson Everett
      By Grayson Everett
      Does anyone has tips or tricks on how to remove this special hooks for catfish? I'm having such a hard time removing these particular hooks.
    • The Chemist
      By The Chemist
      So as i got a Cabelas CC, I will be able to get a new locator. Currently have 2 FL-8s but want an upgrade. I basically spend the winter for Cats. Have over $500 in awards.
    • DTro
      By DTro
      It's truly amazing how social media has transformed our lives.   Seems like not too long ago there was no such thing as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TikTok.    Where did you go for fishing information, research, brotherhood and fellowship?   You spent a lot of time at bait shops, reading magazines and newspapers, or you dialed up into a fishing discussion bulletin board on the world wide web.   I'm a geek who preferred the electronic version so I spent A LOT of time online reading everything I could on web forums and discussion boards.  I came to find a primary home here with Fishing Minnesota in roughly 2000.   I dove in and met a lot of great fishing and personal friends.  I was provided the opportunity to get involved with the marketing side of fishing and learned quite a bit about the business of fishing.  
      I've been saddened to see how participation in forums such as this and others I follow, have crashed with the growing popularity of other platforms.

What brings me here though today is to stop by and say hi to all my old fishing friends.  About 4 years ago I started a Catfish/Sturgeon guide service.  It has been growing steadily each year and one of the reoccurring themes I seem to experience is how many of my guests refer to Fishing Minnesota Dot Com and how they came to recognize me and my activity there from years ago.   

For several years this site reigned supreme when it came to current fishing news and information and a place where everyone was here to help and became a brotherhood for many.  While there was always some political stuff tossed in, for the most part it was a place to forget about the world and focus on our favorite past time.    Oh how times have changed.....   

I hope everyone is doing well and pushing through all the background noise in todays world.  What we are currently experiencing does not bode well for our mental health and I hope things change soon before we find ourselves in another 1863 Gettysburg.

I'll share a great experience I had the other night with a Mother/Daughter captured by Ben Garving (Award winning KARE11 photojournalist).   He really did a great job in capturing what happens when you forget about outside things for a while and spend time with family and just sit back and enjoy our great outdoors.   No matter your political views or your thoughts on our natural resources and how they are managed, this is something we can all come together and embrace. 

Take care!

KARE11 Sturgeon Story Click Here
    • simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I've heard this river has plenty of catfish. I've tried my luck a couple times at the canoe launch but nothing (lots of carp here). Are there any spots that are tried and true? I use a carolina rig with whatever weight I have on hand, circle or octopus hook, usually crawlers but have also tried fresh cut sucker.
    • teeeeelr
      By teeeeelr
      do you guys have any reccomendations for rigs and baits to use for catfish at lake st. croix? ones that work well during the summer. 
      thanks! 
    • MNredneck
      By MNredneck
      I was looking to go sturgeon fishing on the st croix river, what parts of the river hold a fish-able population of sturgeon. i was hoping to be near st croix or wild river state parks.
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Good morning everyone! I hope you all have had better luck than me recently. I'm beginning to think I need a wise mentor to guide me because the kitties continue to elude me... I have been to Peninsula point park in Anoka, Crow river near Rockford, Coon Rapid's dam (BP side), and a handful of metro lakes (Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, lake of the Isles, and Wirth).
      I have the following areas picked out for my next trips:
      Gray's Bay on lake Minnetonka Hidden falls Minnehaha where it meets the Mississippi I have been using crawlers or cut suckers on a carolina rig. Sometimes I'll switch it up and lighten the weight for a float.

I suspect a possible gar sighting on one of my trips, but it cut the line (40lb test braid) with a fierce head shake. A clean cut right at the hook. I wish I could have gotten a better look at it ? It hasn't all been bad though! I caught some other species in the process and met some awesome people.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      Troy, Glad to see your posts! Missed them this summer and hope you continue posting on a regular basis!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall walleye fishing again this week.  As the traditional deer hunting opener approaches, walleye fishing is typically in high gear.  This pattern is holding true.  Various spots along the south shore are producing nicely.  The walleyes and sauger are active.  These fish are also setting up nicely for ice fishing which is just around the corner with water temps in the upper 40's. Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers are still pulling spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits with good success.  Gold, pink, white and chartreuse hot colors this week. The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers.  On the Rainy River...   Nice pockets of walleyes being caught in the river.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.   Some groups are trolling crankbaits in the river and because of their consistency, they never switch.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.    Sturgeon activity with cooler water is good with numerous fish caught and released. Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues strong.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic (when boating into Canada) for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes continue to be stacked and big numbers of fish are being caught.   Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great. Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.   Big crappies are being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' adjacent to structure. Muskie action continues to be strong.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling.  Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.   Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.      
    • leech~~
    • leech~~
    • leech~~
    • leech~~
    • soheye1953
      대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she 대전스파≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차プ대전오피ウ대전오피 대전오피ꖐ대전휴게텔ꖐ대전패티she  
    • soheye1953
      달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔 달림포차≭Dalpocha1、Com≭천안오피 천안스파ꔙ천안건마ꖱ천안오피ꔙ천안OPひ천안휴게텔  
    • soheye1953
      대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마 대구마사지≭dalpocha1。com≭달포차ロ대구오피マ대구오피 대구오피꘩대구휴게텔꘩대구건마  
    • soheye1953
      대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피 대전oP꘣달포차≭Dalpocha1、Net≭대전오피が대전휴게텔ꕼ대전안마テ대전오피ꕼ대전오피  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.