• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Spring Turkey

gimruis

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Congrats MN BassFisher! What a great hunt for your first bird!  It's definitely addicting and fun.  Looks like great turkey land there. These birds will force you to learn what will work.   Every one is different and learning to read a bird in the moment will help your success.

• Thumbs Up 1

Season C was a different hunt than season B.  My 14 yr old son and I each got a turkey in season B.  I went with my other son and his girlfriend for season C to help call and to just get out of the house.  The Tom's were about impossible to call.  They wouldn't hardly gobble back while roosting.  On average, we would see 2-4 Tom's everytime we went out but they would have anywhere from 3-6 hens with them which made it impossible to get them to come close to us.  Yesterday morning we saw a total of 17 turkey's,  4 Toms and the rest were hens.  Still a blast seeing all the birds and after reading that around 22% of turkey tags get filled each year I have to feel happy that we got 2 out of 4 tags.  Maybe we will get another chance come season F.  

Edited by CLPDB
  • Thumbs Up 1

You will probably wonder why you waited so long to hunt them.  They are a great, worthy foe.  

Glad you were able to have success you first time, Congratulations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome story. I love it! As a non resident i've applied for the first few seasons of turkey hunting  in wisconsin with no luck. After 10 years of nothing but surplus tags the last 2 seasons i gave up. So basically i'm jealous!

I LOVE the pictures. It's so fun when it comes together. The fact that you got to watch him walk across the whole field to you is so awesome. it's what makes them so fun to hunt. The interactive portion of calling and responding. Their strutting and body language. So cool. Congrats!

Edited by Barbelboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Borch said:

Congrats MN BassFisher! What a great hunt for your first bird!  It's definitely addicting and fun.  Looks like great turkey land there. These birds will force you to learn what will work.   Every one is different and learning to read a bird in the moment will help your success.

Thanks! We have so much left to learn in regards to reading birds as this was the only interaction we had but that makes me excited for more encounters - a lot of unsuccessful ones I'm sure! We got lucky this Tom was alone and came down in a good spot to see our decoys and the rest was history.

18 hours ago, Barbelboy said:

Awesome story. I love it! As a non resident i've applied for the first few seasons of turkey hunting  in wisconsin with no luck. After 10 years of nothing but surplus tags the last 2 seasons i gave up. So basically i'm jealous!

I LOVE the pictures. It's so fun when it comes together. The fact that you got to watch him walk across the whole field to you is so awesome. it's what makes them so fun to hunt. The interactive portion of calling and responding. Their strutting and body language. So cool. Congrats!

Is that right? I was unsure on if we'd get tags or not being that we were non-residents but that was my first time submitting. Maybe it helped that I was a "first time buyer"? What Zone were you submitting applications for? We were in Zone 4. Him walking across the field for 220 yards was awesome and nerve wracking at the same time!  It felt like it took 15 minutes but realistically it was probably 5-6.

21 hours ago, CLPDB said:

Still a blast seeing all the birds and after reading that around 22% of turkey tags get filled each year I have to feel happy that we got 2 out of 4 tags. 

This is absolutely true.  Everyone thinks that they're going to fill a tag every spring and that is just not the reality of it.  22% is less than 1 out of 4.  If you're harvesting one every other year or even every third or fourth year, you're still ahead of the average.  Your group went 2 for 4 so 50% is still better than twice the average.  Just seeing turkeys when you're hunting them should be considered a good hunt.

Edited by gimruis

I was applying in Zone 4. Hmm. Maybe first time buyer was the ticket. Either way you got one! I tend to have bad luck with tags. Like last fall my niece drew an antelope rifle tag on her first application in Montana, me with 2 bonus points. Nope, had to get a surplus archery tag. 

Yeah, watching a bird work across a field is nerve wracking. You should have one silently work up right next to your blind and gobble. Makes a feller jump just a little. Or like Anyfish have the silly thing brush your blind. it's addicting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It took until my 3rd year to harvest a bird.  I would take off of work and hunt the entire 5 days only taking a mid day break or a break to attend a kids program.  

I had a lot of failure, alot of mistakes made(still make a lot), and a lot of being real tired of waking up 4 am.

Then, things I saw in the field and learned on here from Borch and DonBo, started to really go together.  I then went on 7 year stretch of success.  That ended last year, and this year has been a challenge.  

The funny thing is, I do truly enjoy the tough seasons, the struggle to succeed, and the chess match with a darn bird!  The quick success now can be a little bitter sweet.  At least I have a boy that wants to hunt them as well, so If we have success quick like this year for him, I can still struggle for the next month, best if both worlds.

MnBassfisher, I hope you enjoy your struggles as much as I have over the years.  It really strengthens the addiction of turkey hunting.

Edited by ANYFISH2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

MnBassfisher, I hope you enjoy your struggles as much as I have over the years.  It really strengthens the addiction of turkey hunting.

I can totally see that and am expecting a similar thing to happen on my future hunts! From each struggle will come one or multiple learning experiences.

• Thumbs Up 2

I heard a lot of birds but didn't see much. The weather made it tough hunting. So did our visitor to the turkey blind.

20200510_091208.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Probably should be hunting and not working today.  Saw no less than 40 birds on my way to work this morning.  They were everywhere!

We've done really well in what we now refer to as the "Pity Season".  That last season that you can hunt if you don't fill your tag has been really good for several of us and most birds have been killed in the afternoon/evening.  Just remember the bug repellant as the skeeters can be really bad.

• l Love It 1

oh i know. i've got a spot or two i've been saving for this season. Been concentrating on building brownie points with the wife for the last push of turkey season and the beginning of fishing. And what i love about afternoon turkey hunting is at this time of year sunrise is so early that a feller can sleep in and still have a good chance at a bird!

Hope ya'll can tolerate the heat when hunting turkeys next week.  They're talking close to 90 degrees a couple days.

14 hours ago, gimruis said:

Hope ya'll can tolerate the heat when hunting turkeys next week.  They're talking close to 90 degrees a couple days.

I killed one when it was 96 degrees a few years ago.  Bring water and look for shade to sit in.  Turkeys don't mind it all that much.  Although, the walk back to the truck carrying that thing wasn't a lot of fun.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:52 AM, ANYFISH2 said:

Probably should be hunting and not working today.  Saw no less than 40 birds on my way to work this morning.  They were everywhere!

I was fishing Tuesday but after the weekend and Monday’s weather, waking up on Tuesday screamed turkey time!

22 hours ago, Barbelboy said:

And what i love about afternoon turkey hunting is at this time of year sunrise is so early that a feller can sleep in and still have a good chance at a bird!

Starting around 9 am can be pretty effective too.  At least for us in bluff country if we didn’t get the bird close to fly down he’d swing by for a visit between 9-10 if we had a good chat earlier - and stayed put.  My assumption was they stuck with the hens they knew they had and the hens would go up or down the bluff away from us (competition) and do their morning thing.  Once that was over and the hens drifted off to their nesting areas the Toms went looking for that anxious gal they were talking to earlier.

It played out pretty consistently that way for several birds.  Actually predictably well.

So my tip to someone who wants to sleep in is get into the roosting area by 9 and see if he’ll swing back through.  Or at least troll with some yelping to see if you can get a late gobble to set up on.

Edited by Wanderer

10 hours ago, Borch said:

I killed one when it was 96 degrees a few years ago.  Bring water and look for shade to sit in.  Turkeys don't mind it all that much.  Although, the walk back to the truck carrying that thing wasn't a lot of fun.

Ummmm, ya I don't do a whole lotta anything when its 96 out to be honest.  Maybe sit in my AC basement until the heat wave subsides.  I don't need to hunt turkeys THAT bad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1