• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Spring Turkey

gimruis

With the warmer weather, I'm starting to think spring.  And that means turkey hunting.  New rules for this year too.  No lottery required except for a couple of wildlife management areas.  So you can basically pick a season and buy it over the counter.  Also, the permit is good statewide as you do not have to hunt in a specific zone.

I kinda figured the lottery might eventually go away.  Its been slowly reduced over the years and was only down to A & B for lottery the last few.  What this could is add a lot of hunting pressure during a specific time period, however.  If we see that some upcoming weather looks really good that might bring more hunters to purchase that specific season.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/turkey/current/turkey_rules.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Let's hear your plans for 2020 Turkey hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

After season C, there are no permit area restrictions if I read the regs right.

Our tool salesman that stops into the shop said he has a pile of birds and wants them thinned out. I might have to take him up on that.

• Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

It’s crossbow time for me as usual. 

• I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

B season for me even with the non lottery system put in place hasn't failed me for years hoping same results this year . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

i'm gonna bow hunt again. Hauling a blind, chair, decoys and bow are kind of a pain, but man is it fun to whack em with the bow is just so much fun. 

Though i did get my great grandpas 1929 browning a5 16 gauge this year. and it would be special to take a bird with that. 

But being able to hunt all year with the bow will probably win out, the time flexibility thing is just awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, Dave S said:

After season C, there are no permit area restrictions if I read the regs right.

That's correct but it only applies to a couple of specific wildlife management areas.  If you are hunting anywhere else, you are not bound to a specific permit area.  You are only bound to the specific 7 day season you purchase (if using a shotgun of course).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

First time trying Turkey hunting tomorrow.   With all this covid I had no real excuse to not try it with a buddy this year.  So, I'm taking my son tomorrow morning and hoping to get one to come in

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

31 minutes ago, Harv said:

First time trying Turkey hunting tomorrow.   With all this covid I had no real excuse to not try it with a buddy this year.  So, I'm taking my son tomorrow morning and hoping to get one to come in

Good luck Harv!

I'm gonna hold off until tomorrow.  There's still some snow on the ground by me and its about 17 degrees out.  The weather looks to improve every day though, which should increase bird activity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took my 6 & 7 yr old out this morning. Didn't figure it would be a long sit because of the cold. They made it an hour. Very little gobbling. But as we got to the truck, there crossing the road towards where we were sitting were 5 hens and 2 toms. If we had lasted another 20 minutes i might have been in business. Then around the bend in the road, another 4 hens and 5 toms about 400 yards from where we were. So there are birds in the area, i just had limitations. i knew i should have carried the heater in with the blind, 3 chairs, 2 decoys and my bow. Considering the lack of gobbling and that the toms are henned up i my hold on to this spot for a few weeks and do a late morning hunt when the girls are on their nests and the boys are lonely. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My 9 year old daughter is going to hunt again this year. We still have snow and with the cold we aren’t going out for a few days. It’s nice that the youth tag is good the entire season. I won’t be hunting myself until probably the C season unless I start seeing more the toms by themselves a little more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Was scouting this morning birds were real silent. Saw couple Toms feeding by themselves  in the oaks on a ridge , never  heard one gobble from them all morning so just because you aren't hearing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Around  10 am mid morning caught 2 Toms and couple hens out in a filed catching some sun. Hunters that filled tags this morning earned them wow she was frigid!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is part of the issue with hunting season A.  The weather/conditions can be quite unpredictable this early.  I've never actually hunted season A for this very reason, usually hunt season B or C.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, gimruis said:

This is part of the issue with hunting season A.  The weather/conditions can be quite unpredictable this early.  I've never actually hunted season A for this very reason, usually hunt season B or C.

Exactly why I've never hunted A either weather can always play a factor. Some years they hi it right and slam the birds first season.   Normally I hunt B but have done C few times. I was surprised at number of hunters I saw out this morning looked like a few brave souls gave it a whirl but you can't shoot them on the couch I guess. With the warmer temps coming by weekend activity will start to pick up for sure!

• I Like it 1

Well it can be unpredictable later too.  I've had up to 6" of snow a couple times and I once had to crawl into my blind window because it was covered with 1/2" of ice and the zipper wouldn't budge. 20170501_062424.jpg But your chance of warmer weather definitely increases.  Just gotta deal with lightning and mosquitos. ?

As I posted earlier I like the mid to late seasons as its easier to pattern birds.

• Yayyyy 2

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Saw one pic of a harvested long beard already today.

The second pic came in during my first meeting of the day.  

The birds were out this evening for sure!  Took a drive around and saw plenty, along with a huge red headed monster.  I’m sure he was gobbling up a storm tonight by the looks of him.  All the other toms were the normal blue white heads.

• Yayyyy 1

Got a pic myself  this afternoon from a bud who got  hefty 23 # TOM  he said he saw 5 total Toms today All hunting in the woods feeding areas. Agree Tracie watched 3 hens dusting themselves on a cornfield edge tonight was pretty neat to see. Found dusting bowls and sites before but have to say have never personally witnessed that in my years of turkey hunting. It actually looks pretty funny. They put themselves through quite a thrashing.  Everyday from here on should only get them moving more and more. 

• I Like it 1

My nephew shot a nice 2 year old that came out with 2 other toms on a field edge this afternoon.   The 3 of them trying to fight with his funky chicken jake decoy.  Also have a few gobbling back in the woods.  My other nephew and possibly niece will be at it again tomorrow afternoon trying for one of his buddies.

• Thumbs Up 3

Way to go Sculpin!  

My other nephew got a nice tom this morning.   Lots of action.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job guys!

Sitting in the blind now for the first time.  Plan to be out in the morning with the son.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2

Good Luck ANYFISH2!

• Thanks 1

Awesome!!!!

Congrats Isaac!  You too proud dad!

• Thanks 1

Congrats Isaac!!!! Well done.

• Thanks 1

holy cow. i've been driving around just looking at wma parking lots. 2, 3, 4, 5 even 6 cars in lots of spots. even marginal turkey habitat. i think the combination of shelter in place and everybody can buy a gun tag for any season is creating a new dynamic. it will take several years to figure out the new hunter patterns. i'll be really interested in seeing the DNR's license sale numbers after its all over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Was out this morning with my 14 yr old son.  Had 3 different groups of Tom's gobbling around us at sunrise.  Had 2 Toms and a hen come out about 100 yards away into the field to check us out but didn't want anything to do with the decoy's.   Got pretty quiet after 7:30.  Saw a hen as we were walking out.  It was just great getting back into the woods.  Also saw 6 deer.  Hopefully tomorrow. 

• Thumbs Up 3