• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MNAngler01

Has anyone ever fished Nina Moose? I’ve heard it has good fishing, the trip would be mostly walleye and smallmouth.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @MNAngler01

Where is it located?

If you do fish it, please let us know how it goes. Pics are amazing.

Wanderer

I recognized the name of the lake and wasn’t surprised to see the location.  I haven’t personally fished it but can imagine it is a good lake.

FF7D5D72-9179-4A73-995B-49D3B9F741A4.thumb.png.74ccdc544388d994645f334d19f9e8dc.png
Then again, judging by Navionics it’ll probably be an absolute dynamite lake for a while during open water or an absolute dud.  Not an easy one to make assumptions about either with the depths shown.

C25CD60D-3B38-4E5C-84A4-974F20BA70AA.thumb.png.d4afc0a341d5b1df852569deb2094d5b.png

Edited by Wanderer
Bigfatbert

Now here is one that doesn’t get a lot of talking about . It was back many many years ago as a “young” youngster I went into Nina Moose once with my sisters then in-laws family who I believe were quite regulars at making the journey into it and it’s neighbor to the north Agnes Lake , and although I was not involved much with the padding of the canoes on the river in , to me as a kid it seemed like eternity to reach the lake . I think back in these old days with its remoteness this lake was gone into by pretty much hard cores , and at that time the fishing was very good for walleye ,but that was about 50 plus years ago , so I can’t speak to how that is today , but would only imagine that it’s still a good lake to venture Into . I believe that most of the people that do head in there these days are into the canoeing thing and fishing may be more secondary to them , but maybe not .I do remember the lake being shallow and I see the chart above backs that up . Hard to go wrong with the beauty up there , that I do know .My sisters in-law family are long gone these days , but I do have a good friend who I know that when he was also young and throughout his teens  that he and his father made many trips into there and he may be able to shed some more details about it all and if so I will report back on this subject .

Edited by Bigfatbert
Cause I wanted to !
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • l Love It 1
MNAngler01

Thanks for the input, I’ll definitely let you guys know if we choose to go in there.

• Thanks 1
chaffmj

When I was young starting in 1970,  I went to Ramshead lake with my Dad. We would walk in by following Meander creek and fish for walleye by a small creek that was flowing out of Lamb lake. We would end up walking back out in the same day. It was a lot easier in those days because of an old logging road, there was still part of a bridge that you could walk across to get on the other side of meander creek and there had been a recent fire so we could easily cut across land to get to Ramshead. We would fish where this really small creek flowed in out of Lamb lake. Some years sucker minnows used to run down that creek into Ramshead making it fishing really easy to catch lots of fish. There was a real small island just off of the shore on Ramshead right where the creek flowed in. Ramshead froze out and I caught my last walleye around 1973 give or take a year or 2. After that northern pike took over the lake and it was very common to catch lots of them in the 5 to15 lb range. By then my Dad quit going and I would go up with my friends. We would take canoes down Meander creek and camp on a larger island to fish the opener for the next 20 some years. We would fish from shore using large sucker minnows and huge bobbers. The largest northern pike I caught was around 36 inches. The largest one that I saw taken weighed 23 1/2 lbs after being kept alive for 3 days on a stringer, portaged out, driven down to the twin cities and weighed in for the St. Paul Pioneer fishing contest. After that access was closed we would get there by way of Nina Moose river. We would also usually catch a few walleyes on the Nina Moose river just past the spot where we would take it into Ramshead and it continues on into Lake Agnes. If you go you should definitely check out Lake Agnes for walleyes and go up to Oyster for some lake trout fishing. I also like Bigfatalbert have not been back in that area for quite some time so I can’t speak to how that is today but you will never know what you will find unless you MNAngler01 go. Good luck with your trip! 

• l Love It 2
  • 3 weeks later...
SkunkedAgain

My wife did her first solo BWCA trip into Nina Moose Lake about 12-13 years ago. She was planning on fishing it but got spooked after seeing a bear. I never got a fishing report since she moved on to another lake.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

In 1977 I passed through Nina Moose but did fish Agnes. All we needed was a twister tail and a jig and did well. We started there and paddled the border waters all the way to Basswood. Then we swing way up through Canada, made our way to Lac LaCroix and back out through Agnes and Nina Moose. 9 days and 156 miles. One wind day so no travel. Best trip of my life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • 8 months later...

Update: We didn’t go to Nina Moose, instead we paddled into the north end of Lake Insula. Did well on walleyes. This was in August so we were mostly targeting deeper fish with shad raps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Fished Lake of the Woods yesterday during this tropical heat wave.. I'll tell you what, if you're planning on fishing in these temps, bring backup gear for your essentials (Heat, Auger, etc). Doing this was key for us yesterday when the buddy heater hose was acting up due to the cold. We had a fun day! Check out the video below:

• whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      Just wondering when jigging for eyes in the winter, why is the standard to tip a jig with a minnow head and not the whole minnow or the minnow tail?  Would seem like a more natural presentation to tip with the tail and not the head.  Anyone experimented with this?
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      There is a proposal to angling in the form of catch and release for bass year round in the works.  This would be in addition to the current regulations that allow the limited harvest of both smb and lmb from late May until the season closes.  I know that Michigan and Wisconsin both allow the specific targeting of bass for catch and release purposes before their traditional opening date.  Michigan has done it for years, and Wisconsin just started it last year.

I'm not real positive that this will pass, as I think MN is about a decade behind Wisconsin when it comes to these kinds of changes.
    • Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Can't seem to ever get a sled ride together anymore on the other side of the wall.
      Any guys with a sled and porty want to get together for a meetup and fish somewhere some weekend for the day or weekend if way up north?
      Crappies-Walleyes both? 
      Mill Lacs, Brainerd area................?   The more the merrier, safety in numbers helps if someone needs a pull or getting out of slush.
      Not a big plan. Meet at a lake. Stare at the lake map, mark a spot or spots on the gps and head out.
      Not really worried about a cookout, but we could just cuts into fishing time.  Bring our own lunch, bait and pop or? 
      Don't want to count out wheelers with portys but hope you can hang if its deep or slushy. 😕

Oh forget the Public service announcement: Portys must be fished at least 6' feet apart or more!. Wearing a mask is a good idea on a cold sled ride. No talking about Trump, Biden or God will also keep us safe from each other! 😆

So again, no big complicated plan. Meet up, check map, go fishing! 👍

• Duckhunt
      By Duckhunt
      House was new in spring 2018. Spray foamed top to bottom. Extremely Light weight, all aluminum construction 1300-1400 pounds. You can easily pull with atv. with little tongue weight. Foldable and removable bunk, we used a cot for 2nd bed.
      -6 catch covers w/ sleeves
      -Nuway furnace, needs no electricity to operate manually, also hooked up to thermostat
      -12V low amp draw circulating fans -30A 115v to 12VDC power converter/battery charger with gen/power hookup
      -battery box with 12VDC-115v inverter, and battery meter (newer 31 battery negotiable)
      - LED hole light and beverage holder above every hole
      -LED interior and porch lights
      -Tv/dvd combo on swing wall mount
      -Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers -Loose spare tire (white steel rim)
      -Window Air Conditioner
      This house can go all weekend on a single battery without a generator. No exterior damage anywhere, tires great. Looking to possibly upgrade. Located 20 miles north of Rapids. Thanks!

• Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
    • Adudenurse
      By Adudenurse
      Alright, looking for insight from some people who know more about sitting and waiting for fish than I do.  Last year I bough some tip ups and had some luck on them but now I see it appears to be all the rage to use the IFish Pro stuff and use a rod and reel.  Anybody out there feel like these actually do any better than a standard old tip up or is it just about not having a mess of line on the ice after having a flag.  Moved to MN from mostly fishing northerns on tip ups which didn't seem to care about things not spinning as smooth as these darn walleyes do around here.  Would a rod and reel system like the ifish pro or finicky fooler actually help to have less false flags? I'm at a bit of a loss here with the more picky fish.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.