• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

jurick

Well, my annual trip was only an extended weekend this year, as I had to use my actual vacation to go to Florida for a wedding. 

Drove up Friday morning after work, and was able to hit Two Island Lake for a few hours in the evening. As soon as we boated to my secret spot, a storm cloud moved over and the wind was insane! Temps dropped, and I only caught a few smallies.

on Saturday we went to Greenwood Lake. Even though we caught about 50 bass, it was still a slow day. Weather was perfect. Bugs were horrible! My dad caught a nice lake trout. My daughter caught her first northern pike, and I also caught one. Fished this lake for 30 years and never even seen a pike, now they’re taking over!

Fished Hungry Jack on the final day. Weather was once again perfect! Only caught a few bass. My son absolutely loves fishing off the resort’s dock. So the kids had a blast catching sunnies (including my daughter’s first). 

Was a bummer we only got to stay up there a few days. My dad stayed until today, but I haven’t heard how he did. Didn’t see any moose. Was also the first time I’ve been up there and did not catch a trout. We got our fill of Sven & Ole’s and world’s best donuts. We might try to go back up next month.

Bucketcastle

Im confused do you have a hovercraft for going over ice?  What bugs are out now?  Russian bot.....

Edited by Bucketcastle
  • Yayyyy 1

SkunkedAgain

Ahhh, yes.... The bugs are really determined in February. They bite right through my Carhart jacket. Lovable devils! It didn't bother me though. We were trolling across the ice in my boat, pitching top water lures for walrus. The action was so good that I almost forgot to put on sunscreen. I rubbed it all over my boots though, so I'm protected from the UV rays. Luckily I didn't spend the time to rub it all over my gloves too, or I wouldn't have seen that wakeboarder riding the pressure ridge. We almost collided!

Was a bummer we only got to stay up there a few days. My butler stayed until today, but I haven’t heard how he did. 

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Yayyyy 1

Rick

Welcome to FM @jurick

When did this trip occur...do you have pics? Really enjoy photos.

JBMasterAngler

That is my Grand Marais report, word for word from last June. Not really sure why that guy copied and pasted it.

• Yayyyy 1

Mike89
11 minutes ago, JBMasterAngler said:

That is my Grand Marais report, word for word from last June. Not really sure why that guy copied and pasted it.

very interesting....

PRO-V
1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

I knew I read that before!!

Wanderer

@Rick me thinks we have another 

D8ABA33D-1477-4F63-BF6D-7871F289E5AE.gif.d0614c5ec28861f9f3f20812cb7cd22f.gif

Any idea what they get out of making these posts other than trying to establish some usage on the site?  I checked jurik’s profile.  Is there some back door they can create through registration and posting?

Rick
11 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

They're looking for sites they can spam to boost their SEO. They try to look legit at 1st. I immediately welcomed him then put him on his posts need approval before they show up.

Whenever you see something odd like that, just report it and I will take care of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getanet

Well, now I want some pancakes!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MJF
      By MJF
      First time on this site.  I’m from Prior Lake Mn, I am looking for private property to Turkey hunt on this coming April, will travel up to 1 hour away.  I don’t know anyone in the area and with this Covid-19 happening this  is why I’m reaching out otherwise I would be knocking on doors.  I am 57 yrs old, responsible, law abiding.  Please if you possibly have any leads PM me.  Thank you for your time and good hunting.
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Starting to go through my Turkey vest and started practicing some of my turkey calling again. Yes Ill admit I'm no Will Primos 😂 In fact far from that but I can strike up a cord or two with the turkeys 😉 As far as calls go Ill start with some of the ones I personally use. 

LOCATOR CALLS - I use 3 different ones a Owl hoot, crow, pheasant cackle for location or pinnign down the location of a TOM. Shock gobbles work also but be very carefull it can draw hunters on public land so watch your backside. 

BOX- One of the easiest to use a great call for beginners. Easy to make some of the basic sounds on it. In fact probably the most common call in peoples Turkey vests. Tip use a box call rubber band or make sure call is secured or when walking through woods call will make some unwanted noises. 

Diaphragm calls-Probably one of the best but also the hardest. Takes some practice and is not for everyone. Some people will have a serious gag reflex when attempting to use one. Positive you can make quick putts purrs, clucks etc with one. Probably the best call to master and best for a ground hunter without  blind. Takes away all hand movements when you got a Tom in close. 

Friction Calls- My Favorites I've been using friction calls for years. For Very windy days I use a Crystal top to strike out there cut through wind very loud birds can hear it from long ways off. For reaching up over a ridge distance on a more calm day you cant beat glass kind of a medium range call.  Slate is the one I use when right in the woods calm days and have birds close by a very soft more subtle call that produces great results with birds in closer distances and face to face. 

Call conditioners- You will want to add a stone, sand paper, chalk to keep all your calls in good working condition. A high pitch unwanted  squeal will send a Tom running in no time! 

Decoys- Big fan of Flextone have a feeding and resting hen and a Jake. Plus I have a Primos B-MOBILE when I have a  aggressive dominate I'm after. At last resort and I have shot couple using a mojo scoot-and-shoot . This is a true rush if you haven't tried it! 👍

Blinds- Been using Ameristep doghouses for years, Setup 4 of them on my private property's in strategic locations but if all else fails have a vest and seat and will get right up in there faces if I have to.

Just throwing out some of the tools of the trade that have helped me be very successful in Harvesting some nice Toms over the years. 

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      With all the craziness going on. I need turkey season to focus my mind on something. I need to shoot the crossbow soon and get the gear sprayed for ticks. I thought about getting a lay down hen but do I really need another turkey decoy?

The turkeys are using the corn field on the neighbors land but I will cut them suckers off. I cleared a spot last year so I can shoot behind my blind. 

let’s get some good turkey talk going on in here!! Come on guys.

Note from Editor: We have a Turkey contest going on HSO. You can win a "Legends of the Outdoors
      Hall of Fame Boxcall."
      Let's hear your turkey talk and see your pics here 1st, then......

Click here to enter the turkey contest.Win the Box call above....BUT
      RESPOND IN THIS THREAD 1ST!
    • huntnfish
      By huntnfish
      It looks like MN is considering getting rid of the shotgun zones. 

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/4994139-Shotgun-zone-elimination-bill-gains-traction-in-Minnesota

I used to hunt in a shotgun zone but now hunt in the big woods with a rifle. The thing that always confused me with the shotgun only zone was that you could hunt with a rifle caliber pistol. I know Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, and others have started allowing straight wall rifle cartridges instead of just shotguns. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      For info for this year's HSO/FM Turkey Conest follow the link below.

2020 HSO/FM Turkey Quest
    • Dan Rud
      By Dan Rud
      www.Wausota.com 

please Call Owner Emery + Lyn Edwards
      for cabins Available in spring and summer and fall hunting great!!! Also fishing AWESOME 🎣

good Luck and be safe!!!

Dan

• Rick
      By Rick
      Your best pics/video, spurs, beards, fans, mounts.
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      With the warmer weather, I'm starting to think spring.  And that means turkey hunting.  New rules for this year too.  No lottery required except for a couple of wildlife management areas.  So you can basically pick a season and buy it over the counter.  Also, the permit is good statewide as you do not have to hunt in a specific zone.

I kinda figured the lottery might eventually go away.  Its been slowly reduced over the years and was only down to A & B for lottery the last few.  What this could is add a lot of hunting pressure during a specific time period, however.  If we see that some upcoming weather looks really good that might bring more hunters to purchase that specific season.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/turkey/current/turkey_rules.pdf

• Willie Tree
      By Willie Tree
      The North Dakota Natural Resources Conservation Trust has a Super North Dakota 2020 Unlimited Whitetail Deer Tag we are raffling --good for any open season, any open unit. Hunters can hunt from September through early January, bow, rifle or muzzleloader. Hunter must use legal weapon for each season. We are a non-profit, The North Dakota Natural Resource Conservation Trust. We are using this tag to promote conservation in the State of North Dakota. Tickets can be bought at
      www.lincolnoakesnursery.com
      Drawing will be held August 3rd 2020 at 10 am at Lincoln Oakes Nursery, Bismarck North Dakota need not be present to win.

Sincerely,
      Brian Johnston CEO NDASCD
      [email protected]
      701-223-8575
    • Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      Village fishing
      fish catching
      fishing videos
      fishing videos
      fishing
      unique fishing
      Catch fishing
      Daily Fishing Life
      fishing videos daily
      Top Fishing Videos
      Village fishing
      Best fishing
      best fishing videos
      fish and fishing
      big fish hunting
      fish lover
      Fish Hunting Videos
      Traditional Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Fishing trend
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ANYFISH2
      This is not my fish, just wish I could someday catch one like it!! Caught this past ice fishing season, by friends group.  Absolute slob 45" long 27" girth. I did not ask to post the guys likeness so covered his face.  Congrats to him though.  
    • ANYFISH2
      Rick G, we still had snow on the ground in the woods last week so I think it kept the ground cool enough.  Our season has been odd, a couple great days separated by many very poor days.  We are pushing 400 gallons of sap so far usually get 600-650 yearly.  Temps look good end of next week, hopefully the trees stay sweet.  No budding yet and syrup is still light in color so we should have some time still.
    • PRO-V
      A hunk of uncooked lasagna noodle attracts them well also in a trap.
    • smalliehunter
      no length, no weight.  Thought I had caught a new state record smallmouth lol.  Have never caught another northern or any other type of fish other than smallmouth off that spot still to this day.
    • Rick G
      Anyfish.... your lucky you sapping season is still going. Ours here in St Cloud area dried up by last wed.... my taps are still in, but its all over.  One of the shortest sapping seasons I have ever seen. 
    • Rick G
      Like icehawk said, dog food works well, i would put it in cheesecloth or an old sock w someholes in it to keep it all from washing away too quickly. Those small barrel type traps can be very effectife if you have a good size population of minnows in your creek. 
    • Wanderer
      That sounds pretty efficient!  When I was growing up we’d seine a creek too to get the smaller minnows.  A little later we had a cabin on a river in northern MN and would catch creek chubs like @Kettle mentioned.  We’d have two rods with; one for chubs and one for rigging the chubs for bigger fish.  A grasshopper or worm from an overturned log would start the show.   These days you have to be careful about transportation of bait between waters though.  Bait dealers have to trap under permit to be VHS free.  Be sure of the regs wherever you’re trapping and fishing.   The good ol days were good!
    • Rick G
      Well, I made it out for a little bit today.  Still was a fair size sheet of ice floating around on the main lake yet, not too bad considering 90% of this lake was still covered this last thursday.Water temp was 39 out there. I headed back into a small bay out of the wind.  Water temp was 48 in the furthest back corner, this is where I found a few bluegill hiding.  Size definitely was not what I was looking for, but sometimes it isn't always about catching the big'uns😊 I found myself content just to be back out casting the long rod...a few fish pulling on the line was an added bonus😏 Better days of catching are right around the corner
    • IceHawk
      Austin small minnow traps baited with some small dogfood or bread pieces. Toss in creeks deeper pools in backwaters especially off rivers. Leeches crushed coffee cans baited with beef spleens or liver,  pull real early before first light before leeches escape. Just make sure there not blood suckers and good leeches  Crawlers I get most of mine after a good hard rain on a couple back blacktop roads that are loaded doesn't take long. Be setup for bait for a while even if bait stores are closed . 
    • Kettle
      I would catch Chubs using tear drop jigs and pieces of really small angle like worms. How I catch walleye in rivers, catch Chubs to catch the walleye 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.